Looking for a receiver

Username: Matt1234

Post Number: 9
Hey, guys. I have another question for y'all about receivers. How good are Harman Kardon receivers? I want to know everything about them, including radio reception, sound quality, and reliability. Suggestions anyone?

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 1664
don't know about radio reception because FM in most cities is all Clear Channel Communications owned garbage anyways, but HK is famous for their conservative power ratings and excellent sound quality especially for music.

Reliability has been an issue with a few models in the past but there are very few budget receiver makers who haven't had issues at one time or another.

Denon and Marantz IMO are the only other budget makes who can keep up with HK in sound quality.

HKs do have a reputation of being slightly more difficult to setup compared to say Onkyo or Sony which are famous for their user-friendliness but IMO entail sonic compromises.

Matt to get a broad crossection of feedback on your question, I'd repost it on other audio forums like avsforums.com and hometheaterforum.com where there are often audio installers and sales staff posting in addition to consumers like us, just sift through.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
Thanks for your help, Eddie.

anonymousII
Unregistered guest
HK receivers are excellent sounding and unique looking and are pretty fairly priced. They are a bit limited in inputs, having only six even on the 7300. I have heard them all and over the last couple of model runs and I like the sonics of the Marantz, HK and Pioneer Elite's the best. Denon's are fine when paired with a warmer speaker and the last two model runs of Yamaha's have been a huge improvement over their past years models, so much so that I might consider them in the future. Onkyo's are better than the general regard they get on this forum but are not in my first tier. You should hear as many as possible and buy what you are most attracted to and feel most comfortable with. When you audition them try to let the salesman let you get into the setup menus and play around with the remotes as much as possible as there are differences in user friendliness as was alluded to above. Take your own music and movies with you and have fun with it. There are many good alternatives at all price points.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
What about reliability?

Silver Member
Username: Geekboy

Newport, RI United States

Post Number: 382
Matt: if you're talking about H/K receivers, they are very reliable. Even though some folks have had problems with their receivers and needed to return them, this has been far and few between. I have an H/K AVR-525. I'm corrently looking at the AVR-7300... but have my eyes on the Onkyo-NR1000. My choice is different. I'm looking for multiple Component and HMDI inputs with switching.

Again, the H/K receivers -- stereo and multi-channel -- are reliable, have good build quality, and have honest power ratings!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 23
Do you think Harman Kardon receivers have enough power to run a pair of Cerwin Vega CLSC-215's?

Anonnnn
Unregistered guest
Anything can run CV's, just ask Paul, if his piece of crap Yammie can...well....not need to say more. lol

Matt,
You will need to be more specific, HK make entry levels receivers but they also manufacture some very nice components. Are you looking for Music or HT?
In any case IMHO, HK receivers are very well built and are very reliable. I have a HK3480 in my office for music only and could not be happier with it, it is driving a pair of Paradigms Studio 40 but those CV's you are looking at are pretty power hungry so it would certainly help to know what the application would be.

Adios

Username: Louderplz

VirginiaBeach, VA USA

Post Number: 1
Hello everyone I need a little help. I am looking to replace my yamaha receiver (rx-v2400), here are my options 1. sherwood r-965
2.nad t-773 3. hk avr-7300 4. pioneer vsx-59txi
5. denon avr-5803. I have the magnepan mmg, mmg-c
mmg-w(2pr) this makes up the 7 in my 7.2 system. the yamaha is on it's death bed in an attempt to feed my power hungry maggies. which would be the best choice?

thanx

Gold Member

Post Number: 1704
Of those 5 receivers I'd take the NAD T773, or better yet get 7 Outlaw 200wpc monoblocks combined with a cheaper AVR as pre-processor like an HK 235.

http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/200.html

or go Outlaw all the way with a 770 amp and 990 pre-pro.

http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/index.html

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 3626
Nice combos.
Either one will work well with Magnepans and will undoubtedly give them a work out and power them properly.

You can't go wrong with those units. It will really make you Maggies sing:-)

Gold Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 2164
Matt,
It depends on the receiver. I cant really speak for the new CV speakers, buy my old 4ohm behemoths need a lot of power to sound good. Any receiver can make them play really loud, but a good amp will make them play better.

VirginiaBeach, VA USA

Post Number: 2
If I go with seperates what would be the best way to go? I know the 990 and the sherwood p965 are similar but would the outlaw 770 be a better choice over the sherwood a965

Gold Member

Post Number: 3646
Tough call Eugene. Both are very capable amps and wiil provide ample power withou breaking stride. You can't go wrong with either one.

An Outlaw fan would chose one and a Sherwood fan will of course go for the other.

I am an Outlaw fan so I am a bit biased, but the Sherwood I dealt with were car audio related back in the 80's and I was impressed and about 2 years ago, I forget which model. It was a beastly heavy piece of metal and it was a 2 channel. Other than that i haven't the chance to evaluate one at length.

If you are into the specs, compare them and go with what looks good for you. Or you could go with aesthetics. Or which one comes at a better price.

Silver Member
Username: T_bomb25

Dayton, Ohio United States

Post Number: 807
Sherwoods have very good honest amplification down to their cheapest 2 channel receiver which you can get for $99.99 at Best Buy,Circuit City,andH.H. Gregg,and their entry level H/T receiver is quite good,they were my first H/T receiver.The Newcastle series is as impressive as any of upper end receivers,and note they have a longevity as long as Marantz or HK,they go back at least 30 years in the buisness.

Gold Member
Username: Thx_3417

Post Number: 1243
Tawaun,

How the devil are you, and how's the weather, no nasty hurricane "Katrina" to be seen or heard anywhere as that storm is taking the piss, I mean its been around 5 days now, global warming, as we have had the lowest summer-time weather than I can remember, just keeps piss on you as soon as you step outside, I doubt I could deal with nasty "Katrina" that is a B!tch from above.

Ashley

Silver Member

Post Number: 809
Yeah Andy it was a ruthless storm,My sister and her husband just moved from New Orleans about three weeks ago to Okinawa her husband is in the marines,good thing they did.Its gonna be bad up here in Ohio tommorrow Kstrina is traveling up the Mississippi river to the Ohio river,and then some tornados will be on the way.I feel for those people down in the Gulf of Mexico that was horrible and the bad thing is we dont know how horrible it really is,man just a bad time in the world right now.

Gold Member
Username: Thx_3417

Post Number: 1250
Tawaun,

"Tornado alley" right, that's where all the bad ones like hanging out at,

You know I think they should start naming loudspeakers after Tornados and hurricanes you not what I mean?

What these storms need is a giant "fly swat" that shall do it, there job done.

But you also have to respect the wind too?

Ashley

VirginiaBeach, VA USA

Post Number: 3
My wife want's me to pick between the
yamaha rx-z9 and the onkyo nr-1000

Gold Member

Post Number: 3675
What happened to the Outlaw option?

Anonymous

Eugene I hate to say this but your wife is obviously a moron.

Do not let her choose which receivers are on your short list, you will regret it I promise you and this gnawing and chronic regret will seriously undermine your marriage.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1743
I have to agree with Anonymous, neither Yamaha nor Onkyo will do your Maggies any justice...if you go with either one you'll want to trade in those planars for some normal boxed speakers.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2183
Get the Z9........

Nevermind eddie because he'd recommend a $200 Panny or a cheap bottom dwelling HK. The z9 is way more receiver than anything he's ever experienced.
-----------

Here's how his discussion usually unfolds.

EUGENE:Im thinking about buying the $5000 Yammiz9.

EDDIE:Nevermind that, you should buy a refurbed HK for $300 instead.
LOL

Gold Member

Post Number: 1748
well for once you're right, Paul---I see no point in spending more money for less performance.

HEH I forgot, you're a Bose owner after all!

ROTFL...

Silver Member

Post Number: 820
Paul thinks spending more in A/V gear means better,but this isnt 2 chasnnel hi fi,and it is not worth it to spend more in H/T,the differences isnt that much and lots of times dissapointing.As you have heard from Eddie Paul is a Bose owner,so guys like him are compelled to waste their money.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2192
The difference is that my weakling speakers are in the 'back' performing mop-up duty and filling in the surround soundfield.

Eddies are in the front carrying the motherload.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1760
heck Paul I wouldn't be surprised if your lousy 161s would even give your Cerwin Vegas a run for the money, LOL

Not that you could even hear the difference, your ears have obviously been damaged by all that cranked up bass and your brain by too much Faux News and Angry Mongoloid talk radio.

Silver Member

Post Number: 829
Ha Ha,now thats funny!

Gold Member

Post Number: 2197
I was saddened last night when I learned that the 'Bill O' show was dropped for Katrina coverage.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1765
Yeah it must've been terrible, all that oxygen rushing back to that mysterious place between your ears, eh? lol

VirginiaBeach, VA USA

Post Number: 4
Hey you guys are pretty tough on paul:-) I found a new Z9 for $3000 and I also have decided to purchase the yamaha dvd-s2500 universal dvd in the hope it will help produce a better picture with my infocus projector. Also is the ieee connection as good as everyone is saying? Also my wife would be happy she had some say so in the choice. Is the the yammi z9 that much better than the onkyo nr1000 or the pioneer elite vsx-59txi?

VirginiaBeach, VA USA

Post Number: 5
Hey guys check this out, I guess my wife has been reading our forum and decided to take action. She decided the best welcome home gift from Afghanistan would be the Sherwood A-965, P-965 combo,and the Sherwood SD-871 dvd player, she also said the outlaw was to damn heavy and to damn ugly.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us