Jan..Tim..anybody..I need help !

Bronze Member
Username: Margie

Napa, California

Post Number: 18
I bought a Niles SVC-4L speaker selector switch (used). It has inputs for two amps and four sets of speakers. Both amp inputs and three of the four speaker inputs seem to work fine. My problem is that one of the speaker inputs and both of the protection buttons ( on the front ) have a hugh drop in volume on the right channel.

Any ideas?

Thanks,Margie

Gold Member
Username: Thx_3417

Post Number: 1095
Margie,

Possibly the way it's wired up there may be a sneak crossover from one of the other connections, have you stripped it all down and tried again?

Ashley

Gold Member

Post Number: 1096
Margie,

Also is there anything in the manual stating troubleshooting, and how to solve the resolution.

Ashley

Bronze Member

Napa, California

Post Number: 19

Ashley

Thanks for the help.

I didn't get a manual...part of the problem.
By stripping it down ...do you mean taking the top off and exposing the ..uh circuitry, yes and it is clean and beautiful. My son did that. Sneak crossover..would I be able to see that?

Margie

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5338

If the problem persists on only the right channel, there could be a problem with the internal wiring. The Niles box is an entirely passive design so there aren't any cicuits to worry about.

If the problem occurs when you have all four speaker outputs engaged, you will be running into a load resistor. That is what the "protection" switches engage in the Niles box. A pretty good sized load resistor will definitely give you a drop in volume.

Try this. Connect one amp to one amplifier input only. Connect one pair of speakers only at any one time. Begin with speaker output 1 and play the system with that connection only. Engage the other switches one at a time with no load attached. Engage the protection switches and listen for any volume drop. If that checks fine, remove the speaker pair from speaker output 1 and connect only that one pair of speakers to the speaker 2 output. Disengage all switches on the front panel and start the process over from speaker output 2. Repeat the diagnostic. If that output checks OK, proceed to speaker 3 out with one pair of speakers and so on. Try to isolate where the problem actually stems from. If the problem doesn't occur with this set up, add one pair of speaker at a time and run the diagnostic.

Bronze Member

Napa, California

Post Number: 20

Thanks Jan I'll give this a try.

Gold Member
Username: Joe_c

Atlanta, GA

Post Number: 1042
If that doesn't work Margie, try to "sneak" it back to the store.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1126
Now that is wrongful "CRYBABY" shame on you....

That is deceitful, to give Margie, the idea of deceiving too, are you trying to get her into trouble.....
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us