Looking to upgrade, need help

kipp y
Unregistered guest
I'm looking to upgrade my outdated ht gear and cant decide if i should get a new receiver or speaker set up first. I currently have a onkyo tx-ds484 and polk rt25 bookshelves for surrounds a cs245i for the center and a psw350 for the sub. I'll be spending around $450 on the receiver and probably a middle of the road speaker setup from a quality mfgr. Any help or opinions on my current setup would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

anonymousII
Unregistered guest
What are your main speakers now? The Polk rt25 is a great small speaker and I am wondering if you are thinking of scraping your Polk system or just what you have in mind. My first inclination is to say to buy a pair of Polk rti6's and a new receiver, like a Pioneer 1015 or a Marantz 5500. I use to own a pair of Polk rt25's and still wish I had them.

Gold Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 2118
Are you looking to spend $450 for both the speakers and receiver combined??

If I read it wrong(which I think I have), then how much are you planning to spend on the speakers?? What do you call middle of the road for 5 speakers? ......$1,000??.......$3,000??

kipp y
Unregistered guest
My mains and surrounds are rt25's. My first thought was to upgrade the receiver to another onkyo or maybe a HK, But i have been out of the receiver market for quite a bit and now it seems that pioneer and panny make better equipment then what i remember. Atleast thats the impression i get from reading this site. As far as $$ to spend on my speaker setup, I still like the sound from my polk's so i would most likely just upgrade the system i have. Does polk still make quality products? or have they maybe slipped a bit in the last 4-5 years.

anonymousII
Unregistered guest
If your room is on the small side I would not bother to change speakers unless you feel the need to. As I said the Polk rt25 is a truely great speaker, maybe the best for the money Polk ever made and IMO one of the best small, inexpensive speakers ever. Stereophile magazine called them the best under $1000 speakers on the market at that time. To bad you can't find a pair of Polk rt55's for mains. [e-bay?] Otherwise as I said listen to the rti6 if you can. There are many fine speakers out there and it would help if we new what was available in your area. Polk and Pioneer[Elite] make a nice combination as would Marantz and HK and even the newer Yamaha's.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us