Definitive technology or wharfedale opus 3

Username: Pozdrav

Post Number: 3
hello, Have anybody experince with Definitive technology 7001 sc speakers or Wharfedalwe opus
3? Which are better.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 3534
Both are great speaker manufacturers, it comes down to your taste. Can you listen to both of them?
Half of us could recommend one and the other half another. It all comes down to what you want. You will be the one listening to them all the time.

Personally I like the Def Tech 7001 better than the Opus 3. I found the Def Tech more refined and detailed.

Silver Member
Username: Ziggyzoggyoioi

Outside Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 117
Those are 2 very different speaker designs that are going to have a big difference in the way they sound. The DefTechs area a full-range bipolar design with a 1500W powered sub in each tower to go along with 4 6" bass/mid drivers, 2 1" tweeters and 2 10" passive radiators compared to the Wharfedale's traditional 3-way design. The design of the DefTechs requires that you have the room to place them properly - they are extremely sensitive to proper placement. They also like good high-current amplifiers driving them, even though they are easy to drive with any amp. The only way to tell if the DefTechs are right for you is to listen to them.

Gold Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 2117
I've listened to the 7001s. They sounded ok, but their 'alleged' subwoofer was a little weak, and a bit of a fraud. If you want real quality bass, you'll still need an external sub even with the 7001s.

My recommendation is not to pay extra for a front speaker with a built-in subbass system because they are inferior to stand alone subs. Instead, you should buy a standard 3way tower along with a stand alone sub for best results.

Silver Member
Username: Ziggyzoggyoioi

Outside Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 119
Paul, ya know they do have a dial on the back to increase the subwoofer level, right? With my 7002s (and their measly 300w powered subs) I can rattle picture frames 2 floors away with ease.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2120
So what......

A cheap pair of $10 speakers can do the same. All my point was that the bass response was equal to that of a cheap $100 sub which is also fully capable of doing the same.

Ive never listened to the 7002s though.

Silver Member
Username: T_bomb25

Dayton, Ohio United States

Post Number: 766
For music the obvious choice is the Opus 3,but its hard for conventinal speakers to compete with Def Tech in all around duties they are a riot it depends on what is the most important to you music or movies.

Username: Pozdrav

Post Number: 4
I prefer music and speakers will be in stereo system. Problem would be room size because is 12 x 13 foot and speakers can be about 2 foot from the back wall

Silver Member
Username: T_bomb25

Dayton, Ohio United States

Post Number: 770
The Opus 3 is a lot of speaker for the money I think they are the ticket,But check out the Odyssey Loreial for $2700 a amazing speaker I know they are in my future and dont let their 2 way design fool you they play deep in the bass and use some of the highest quality drivers and crossovers in speaker industry in Europe they are $7600 speaker so check them out at www.odysseyaudio.com

Gold Member

Post Number: 2123
LOL...yea sure.

Gold Member
Username: Thx_3417

Post Number: 1116
Oh dear God it's the "Return of the cactus."
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help