Denon 2105, 2805 and Onkyo TR-SX602

Username: Qin107

San Jose, CA

Post Number: 3
Hi,
I would like to get an opinion on these 3 receivers' performance keep in mind the price.

2105 - $420 all shipped
2805 - $560
Onkyo 602 - $250.

I would like to know if it is worth the price difference here for the performance. The money saved here can be put towards buying better speakers.

I am trying to see value for money since I am trying to put together a budget HT system.
Thx.

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 1638
If it's all HT you're doing, the 601 is fine.

On the other hand, the pure-digital $250 Panasonic sa-xr55 has the very real possibility of being spectacular.

Silver Member
Username: Devils_advocate

Post Number: 228
Since I own an Onkyo TX-SR500 I would give a thumbs up to the 602. Eddie had a bad experience with a 600 series though, so try it out before you buy.

As for the Panny, it does sound interesting for sure.

San Jose, CA

Post Number: 5
How about between 2105 and 2805. There is $140 difference. I will use 70/30 Music/Movie.

What extra do I get with 2805 over the 2105 besides the 10 w/ch extra. 2805 has a little extra ports for connection but apart from these do I get anything extra.

I think 90/ch in 2105 should be sufficient to drive any good speakers.

I own a Onkyo bookself which I bought 5 years ago. I have been more than happy with its performance. The receiver blew out on me couple weeks ago and I decided to move to 5.1 HT.
Thnx.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1649
Look at the Denon website, they should tell you.

Crutchfield.com often posts a lot of specs and info too.

Silver Member
Username: Shantao

Post Number: 122
Hi N Shahi;

I have an Onkyo 601, and I like it very much. It sounds great for HT. The 601 was a 6.1 receiver and I think the difference between the two was that the 602 added PLIIx, has an auto setup, and is 7.1. The 601 was brain dead easy to set up and is so easy to use that my 6 year old and 11 year old can use it (even my wife, hahaha). It has adequate power and has no trouble powering my living room space (about 18' X 30').

That price looks like a great deal.

Good luck

Silver Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 799
N Shahi

Please note that Denon has replaced the 2105 with the 2106 now.

From a musical point of view, you will be better off with a decent stereo amplifier. Stereo DVD isn't bad. Since you are listening to music 70% of the time, you may wish to consider staying in the stereo arena rather than moving over to 5.1. After all, if you spend similar money on the stereo amp, you should get better fidelity.

Regards,
Frank.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1653
I couldn't agree more with Frank.

Also, 5.1 is really only worth it if you watch mainly FX-dominated Hollywood action/thriller movies with explosions every 30 seconds. If your tastes run more towards dramas, comedies, foreign or art/cult films it's a complete waste of money.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1654
In fact if I had to do it all over again, I'd just buy the best 2-channel integrated amp I could afford and buy TWO sets of speakers, one for HT (very detailed ones like the Ascends) and one for music (warm ones like the Lings).

San Jose, CA

Post Number: 6
Frank/Edster922,

When you say Stereo arena what system do you have in mind. Can you give me couple of combinations as an example here. I am assuming you are talking a Pre-Amp/Amp and a front L/R speakers.

I would like to know. If not for now, may be for later..

Thnx.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1660
Pre-amp plus Amp would be ideal if you can afford it but just an Integrated 2-channel amp would give you much better music performance than most AVRs.

Integrated 2-channel amp: NAD 320bee, $400

Pre + Amp: NAD c162 + NAD c272, $1300

http://www.yawaonline.com/miva/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=YO&Category_C ode=AMP

Those are MSRP listings, most shops will give you at least 10% off, some even 20% off.

Also look at the Cambridge Audio line at audioadvisor.com and the Marantz PM7200 integrated amp (around $400-500) at hifi.com or refurb at accessories4less.com

Gold Member

Post Number: 1661
two other quality integrated amps are the NAD c352 for $600 and the NAD c372 at $900 msrp at the same weblink.

Silver Member
Username: T_bomb25

Dayton, Ohio United States

Post Number: 767
The Odyssey preamps and amps the Khartigo amp based off of the Symphyony Amps for $775 basically a $3400 amp the passive preamp I forgot the name is a real steal for $350,and a intergrated amp called the Cyclops for $900 trully the most stunning deals on the market.A 20 year warranty to back that up and lifetime full trade up policy and various package deals with stunning upgrades check it out at www.odysseyaudio.com

Gold Member

Post Number: 1670
huh? the cheapest amp I could find on that website was the Stratos at $1150 which would need a preamp like the $1150 Tempest. No sign of the Khartigo, Symphony or Cyclops models that you mentioned.

Silver Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 810
N Shahi,

As you've no doubt figured, I did mean exactly a stereo amplifier with just two channels of output and a decent pair of speakers. Unfortunately I'm in the UK and prices are quite different to your side of the pond for kit.

Music reproduction has different approaches by manufacturers in different parts of the world. Japanese electronics is prevalent theoughout the world but it has (with one or two exceptions) broadly similar approaches of detail, soundstaging and resolution. The American kit tends to have a bigger fatter sound and the Europeans tend to prefer a leaner sound although the UK is somewhat unique in enjoying a rather stranger approach which is even more difficult to describe. Suffice it to say that several companies have design houses in the UK in order to 'get' the UK feel into their products!

Do not get hung up on whether the amp is a pre-power or an integrated, or if the speakers are 2 or 3-way etc. The important thing is to find a presentation you like. How it's done really doesn't matter at this point. After all you can get $1000 pre/power amps and $5000 integrated amps, so it's not like one implementation must be better than the other.

Regards,
Frank.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us