How much power do I need in my stereo receiver, 80W or 125W per channel? Using 2 bookshelf speakers.

Username: Snyder

Post Number: 3
I'm pretty sure I'll be choosing either the HK 3380 or 3480 for a new stereo setup. I'll be purchasing new bookshelfs as well; probably with power handling specifications of around 100 W. The HK 3380 has 80 W per channel, and the 3480 125 W per channel. Assuming money is not a factor, which would be the better receiver to choose? I'm not that educated about clipping, speaker power handling, etc; that's what this thread is mainly about. Would I be safer in choosing the 125 W per channel receiver, or is that too much power for bookshelf speakers? I've heard that it's always wiser to have more power than less, but I don't know the mathematical amounts there, so if someone could give me their informed opinion I'd be grateful.

So, do I a)get the 80 W per channel receiver and simply don't run it at too high volumes with the bookshelves or b)get the 125 W per channel receiver and benefit from clearer audio at low volumes? Is there any real danger inherent in option b? Or do I really have no reason to purchase the 125 W per channel receiver?

Thanks in advance.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 3510
a)it will work
b)it will also work
There is no danger on either recevers. Here's a tip about clipping...if you start hearing it, turn the volume down...simple as that.
You have every reason to purchase the 3480...if you like it, buy it.

What speakers are you looking at?

Gold Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1312
There's only 2 dB difference between the already high 80W and 125W. Nothing to worry about.

Silver Member
Username: Kano

Post Number: 599
If it were Kenwood or Onkyo stating 80W I'd be worried about running out of power but the HK receivers underrate their equipment if anything. The 3380 will deliver as much power as most receivers stating 100W/Channel. You will be fine with both in terms of max power. I'm not sure if there are any differences in DACs or circuitry between the two to justify the extra cost.

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 1637
If the price difference between these two receivers is only around say $100-150 I'd probably take the 3480 just for extra peace of mind.

check out Harman Audio on eBay, they often have the 3480s for around $150-200.

Username: Snyder

Post Number: 4
Excellent. Thanks folks!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us