Need advice add mono amp

Username: Yan

Mojokerto, Jawa-Timur Indonesia

Post Number: 3
Hi All,
I got HK AVR5500, I want to upgrade the power and add mono amp for each channel. i still confuse if adding other amp, is it will decrease the sound quality ? or increase ?. and what's the match amp if it worthy to add ?

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 3497
The power would increase the source signal...if the source is garbage then it will increase garbage. Garbage in garbage out.

What amps are available in your area?
Can you get hold of NAD, Outlaw, Arcam?

Post Number: 4
thank's berny, as i know NAD available.
do you know the mono amp from NAD ?
actually i Interest Outlaw 200 but can not find dealer here.
I have old stereo NAD 3030, i try last night, i feel that sounds more open, and the dynamic increase (bass response more fast), but after the volume increase, getting worst because seems like all the acoustic mixing together and become crowded.
it's that clipping ? because the small power of NAD3030 ?

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 3533
I haven't seen a mono amp from NAD. However, NAD carries a 7 channel power amplifier. It's not a mono block but it will serve you well for the purpose that you want. The T973. Do you really want seven mono amps?

Honestly, though I believe that the HK 5500 has ample power for your needs. But if you want mono blocks, go for it:-)

Post Number: 5
thank's Berny,
actually my problem is, my 1,5 yrs old avr, can not keep setting of speaker gain for each channel. every channel set to 0. it's not balance in hearing point. i try to fix, but cost almost half price of new one. that's why i try add amp for each channel. for begining, i try for front channel first. i'll try nad as your suggest. do you know lexicon, krell, onkyo amp type, which budget $1000 ? thank's berny.

Silver Member
Username: Cheapskate

Post Number: 266
actually, most NAD amps are mono bridgeable for double the power.

do you like the tone of your HKs? HK kicks butt in the treble, NAD doesn't. if you like your current level of treble extension, i'd suggest looking into rotel amps.

go with NAD if you'd like a little more warmth and treble politeness. personally, i like the sound of my 5.1 budget onkyo MORE than my NAD 2 channel reciever because it really makes my superzero treble more extended and my imaging open up.

the ONLY thing i like about NAD is that it's the cheapest route to getting those magnepans that i lust after. LOL i just don't care for NAD treble politeness with softdomes and my own personal experiences with NAD reliability.

lexicon doesn't make ANY amps the last time i looked, just preamps.

krell = $5000 a channel

if you don't mind used amps, i've seen 5 channel adcom amps selling for under $500 on ebay at least once.

some nice gear that you could find for under $1000 in 5 channel amps includes
adcom
rotel
and
B&K

among other brands. if you like your H&K treble extension, rotel is your best bet. if you hate it and want to warm your speakers up, then you might like a switch to NAD.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us