Marketing study of receivers market!!!

rmihai
Unregistered guest
According with a marketing study apparently ordered by Denon to AC Nielsen, today market of receivers is like this:
Mass (consumer) products: $80 - $470
Audiophiles: +$470
Low-Fi: $80 - $280
Mid-FI: $280 - $450
Hi-Fi: +$450

So, after studying market prices accordingly I concluded that the only Hi-Fi receiver with a good price is:
- Harman Kardon AVR 330

Comments?

rmihai
Unregistered guest
The same study is mentioning the $520-$600 as critical for High performance at the last reasonible prices.
The receivers that I was able to find in this interval are:
Marantz SR-6400
Harman Kardon AVR 630
Cambridge Azur 540R
Yamaha RX-V1400

Anything over it will be too expensive for what is offering.

rmihai
Unregistered guest
I forgot to mention: so, if you still can find a NAD T742 for $460 or so that means that is a real bargain. A NAD HiFi recognized for the price of a mass manufactured product? Should be really good :-)

mgrennier
Unregistered guest
I just got the AVR 330 and I love it - except the remote control is just absolutely terrible...

Ugh..

The system itself is GREAT.

Bronze Member
Username: Sem

Post Number: 20
The NAD T742 lists for $650US and can be had for less than $400.

Bronze Member
Username: Two_cents

Post Number: 63
What meaningless drivel! Hi-fi, lo-fi, fee-fi-fo-fum. Go listen to the equipment instead of categorizing them!

Silver Member
Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 310
Amen to your comment Two Cents. This must have been conducted by people with no knowledge of this stuff at all.

rmihai
Unregistered guest
Acctually the study was conducted by "a team of experts in audio technologies"

rmihai
Unregistered guest
I dou like to buy a NAD T742 for less than $400. Just say where and I will buy it right now.

rmihai
Unregistered guest
And the study took in consideration also the build quality and functionality of the systems, not only what you think is a good receiver (just listening). Of course good sound matters, but don't forget that the Home Theater receiver should be the central hub of your audio sub-systems.

Silver Member
Username: Johnny

Missouri

Post Number: 222
Experts schmexperts. They may be experts in marketing, but obviously not electronics. This whole business of picking a receiver would be much easier if high price=high quality. There are so many things that go into the price of a receiver...there is no way you can "classify" the quality of a receiver by the price. Shall we enter into the whole THX discussion again? Getting THX certification will definately make the price go up...but it has no effect on the quality whatsoever. According to this logic, the $1300 Onkyo 901 must be hands down more "hi-fi" and higher quality than the lower two NAD models...almost all HK models...as well as many of the Marantz models. I am not going to get into the debate of which receivers are "better" than other ones...but to say that this Onkyo is somehow better than these other highly regarded brands simply because it costs more is simply rediculous.

Bronze Member
Username: Myrantz

Post Number: 94
I second that. Just more snake oil to justify payment for useless information!

rmihai
Unregistered guest
I thimh you don't get it. The study is saying exactly what you said. There is no reason to pay more than $600 for a receiver to have a high-quality. More than that the testing of the receivers (about 200 if I remeber right) didn't took in consideration THX certification, but only the sound quality, buid quality= reliability and functionality.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 95
It's all subjective and personal - in the eyes, ears and wallets of the consumer. If it sounds good, has suitable functions/power and lasts, cost does't matter. Opinions vary!

"The same study is mentioning the $520-$600 as critical for High performance at the last reasonible prices." and "Anything over it will be too expensive for what is offering." Who said? What about true power for varing room sizes.

Cheaper is less, dearer is more and in both categories some are better than others. Duh!

"Acctually the study was conducted by "a team of experts in audio technologies"

How often do we see one team of experts condraticting another? This is just another example of throwing money around for useless information - and who gets to pay for it, the consumer! Did they figure this into their survey too?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 96
"How often do we see one team of experts condraticting another?"

Condraticting - an opposing opinion usually spelt as contradicting except by cross-eyed computer users!

Anonymous

My Dear Krantz - let me put it diferently for you - basically, what this guys are saying is that over $600 the improvements are INCREMENTAL but the price is rising EXPONENTIAL. Now you got it? No one is saying not to pay $4500 for a receiver. They are saying only that is either snoby either silly to do that.

Silver Member

Missouri

Post Number: 224
"More than that the testing of the receivers (about 200 if I remeber right) didn't took in consideration THX certification, but only the sound quality, buid quality= reliability and functionality."

Who decides what "sound quality" is? What is quality to one person may sound horrible to another. How can you pass off something as subjective as "sound quality" as being an objective study?

I spent $900 on a receiver that retails for $1300...am I a snob? Or just silly?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 22
rmihai said, "I dou like to buy a NAD T742 for less than $400. Just say where and I will buy it right now."

Call or email Andy at Saturday Audio Exchange in Chicago. Although you might only get this price by also buying speakers, stands, etc...which is what I did.

rmihai
Unregistered guest
Thank you

Silver Member

Missouri

Post Number: 226
I think the price for the T742 from Saturday Audio WITHOUT buying speakers along with it is $449...last I heard.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 23
True, but I was buying speakers as well anyway. Plus he has a deal whereby if you buy a NAD receiver and PSBs he'll also discount the PSBs even further. I guess it was time to clear out the old models...

Silver Member

Missouri

Post Number: 227
Yeah, that is a great deal, I saw it the other day. Isn't Andy great to work with? If only all salesman were that easy going! I am not sure that rmihai is getting speakers though. It is still a great price on the 742. At that price, those who don't have boat loads of money can still get that great NAD sound. Put that with some discounted PSB Image speakers...and you have a wonderful system at a very reasonable price...definately beats any system you could get at Circuit City or Best Buy for the same amount of money.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 24
Johnny, how true. When I stumbled on this board I was looking for recommendations for a CC or BB HTIB, because that's all I figured I could afford. I'm thankful to a few here, (John A. and Hawk, in particular), who steered me away from that idea. As things turned out I was able to get the T742 and 5 PSB Image speakers and although the cost was a little more than I initially budgeted, I couldn't be happier.

Silver Member
Username: John_a

Post Number: 458
Johnny, My Rantz, Sem, Two Cents, the realelite,

You are bang-on, but far too polite with the views relayed by rmihi

'Acctually the study was conducted by "a team of experts in audio technologies"'

rmihi: Total nonsense.

Defining sound quality by how much it costs is advanced self-delusion.

The team of "experts" (and, please, not in "audio technology") can't even know much about marketing, since they forgot their lucrative "Campbell's Soup" sector.

Silver Member

Post Number: 459
Johnny, My Rantz, Sem, Two Cents, the realelite,

You are bang-on, but far too polite with the views relayed by rmihi

'Acctually the study was conducted by "a team of experts in audio technologies"'

rmihi: Total nonsense.

Defining sound quality by how much it costs is advanced self-delusion.

The team of "experts" (and, please, not in "audio technology") can't even know much about marketing, since they forgot their lucrative "Campbell's Soup" sector.

Silver Member

Post Number: 460
Sorry about that. Yes, they are exactly the same!

Silver Member
Username: Airforceone

Post Number: 107
I hate when that happens.

Anonymous

There sems to be a lot of "conaiseures" around. So, why didn't give their opinion about Cambridge Azur 540R? Their opinion about the sound, not about the features and marketing campaigns...

Or maybe they don't know the market so well as they think. Because other"experts" are nothing compared with them. Aren't they?

So, please, show us youe incomensurate knowledge compared with the poor marketing guys and give us your opinion not only negative or defaimating responses.

Silver Member

Post Number: 464
Anonymous,

I think the main point is that rmihai reports usage of words such as "Hi-Fi" purely to indicate how much things cost. If it were true, a manufacturer would only have to increase the price of a receiver by one dollar in order to move it up from, say "Mid-Fi" to "Hi-Fi", or from "Hi-Fi" to "Audiophile". Yet it would be the same receiver. You don't really have to be qualified in electronics, or an expert in anything, to see the problem. You don't turn a "Low-Fi" receiver into an "Audiophile" one just by increasing its price by a factor of five.

For that sort of argument, even "Nonsense" is quite moderate, in my opinion.

What is yours?

Coincidentally, there is a strong recommendation of the Cambridge Azur 540R from an "Anonymous", on Mar 31, on Cambridge 540R vs. NAD T743.

Username: Vaibhav

Post Number: 1
jamo and nad or jamo and denon
i was looking for more of neutral sound but wanted a great amount on detail.I was considering the denon avr-1804 or A corresponding nad for a 14 x 10 x10 room.Could you please help me out.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us