Post Number: 1300
Looking for a good sounding CD player under C$500. The contenders are:

NAD C521BEE (C$450)
http://www.nadelectronics.com/cd_players/C521BEE_framset.htm

Cambridge Audio Azur 540C (C$490)
http://www.cambridgeaudio.com/summary.php?PID=15&Title=Azur+540C

Other suggestions?
The question is which sounds best?
And do they sound substantially better than a cheap DVD player playing CDs such as an inexpensive universal player that can switch off video circuitry:

Yamaha DVD-S657 (C$250)
http://www.yamaha.co.jp/english/product/av/products/ht/dvds657.html

Yamaha DVD-S1500 (C$600)
http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/DVD_CD/DVDS1500.htm

or even one that doesn't switch off video circuits:
Pioneer DV-588A-S for C$150

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1553
Hi Peter,

I did some research at Stereotypes in Portland (an NAD and Cambridge dealer) today. The NAD and Cambridge have about equal sond quality. The NAD is a little warmer and more musical and the Cambridge a bit more detailed and clinical. Again it really matters what your preferences are and what equipment will be used with it. Teri and I both agreed that with your speakers and receiver the NAD would most likely be your best bet. It's a bit more forgiving of poor recordings and would likely groove nicely with your Klipsch speakers. If you are looking to spend a just a bit more the Cambridge Audio Azur 540D gives outstanding DVD-A, DVD, and CD performance. It is the first DVD player that I have heard that is comparable to the NAD C542 for redbook playback. In my opinion it still comes up a bit shy, but not much.

Gold Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1304
Thanks Art!

Feels like having a personnal shopper!

The interesting thing is that the Azur 540D appears to be the same price as the Azur 540C in Canada (C$490). So If I get as good or better CD playback, plus DVD and DVD-A, then that seems a good deal! I still couldn't use SACD but I could investigate high-res with DVD-A and that has an appeal to it.

(See http://audioshop.on.ca/cambridgedigital.htm for Canadian prices)

For comparison a NAD C542 is C$700! It does do HDCD and I have a few Holly Cole CDs that are HDCD. She's a great jazz vocalist; check her out at http://www.hollycole.com/multimedia.html

The only downside is I think I get NAD cheaper than Cambridge Audio. The store that sells NAD is about to move and have a big sale, and my credit card has a bonus points system that I can cash in at that store too.

I'll have some thinking to do!
Thanks!

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1307
About the 540D DVD player from:

http://www.hometheatersound.com/equipment/cambridge_audio_azur_540d.htm

The Azur 540D was also a surprisingly capable CD player. Most budget DVD players sound somewhat lean, and those whose sounds do have some weight and body often obscure bass and end up sounding thick or muddy. But the 540D carried the clear sound and tight bass it had produced from movie soundtracks over to its CD sound. Jennifer Warnes' The Hunter [CD, Attic ACD 1344], which can sound boomy on some systems, sounded fast and responsive with the 540D. Although the Cambridge didn't totally plumb the depths, the bass on "Rock You Gently" and "Way Down Deep" was rich and full without sounding bloated. The more sedate "Lights of Lousianne" was sweet and ethereal, but the strings still had a great deal of presence and weight.

That's good!

The receiver needs a little more technical background since he says:

The audio processing includes support for DVD-Audio and built-in decoding for Dolby Digital, but not DTS. DTS signals can still be passed via the digital output for external decoding by a receiver or processor, but the Azur 540D will not provide any signal from its analog outputs from DTS discs.

and later:

The final dogfight from the remastered DTS soundtrack of Top Gun was full of the roar of jet engines, but the 540D was also able to deftly reproduce the somewhat cheesy-sounding background music as well. At certain points in this scene, the synthesizer riffs in the rear channels were amazingly clear.

And it's the receiver doing the decoding... This doesn't in any way compromise the rest of the review.

Gold Member
Username: Rick_b

New York USA

Post Number: 1252
Hi Art & Peter,

I own and have used an Azur 540D in my home theater system for over a year. In that time it has performed flawlessly. I think at it's price point it is a true bargain in todays market. It's CD performance is as good as any $500 player out there, but cannot match the performance of a dedicated high end CD player, such as the CAL I use in my music only system. Anyone looking at DVD players should give the Cambridge 540D an audition. Cheers!

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1313
Thanks Rick. Do you mean that it sounds as good as a dedicated CD player costing $500? Or any $500 DVD player?

If the former, then I like that! I don't want to spend $1000 on one now...

Gold Member

New York USA

Post Number: 1253
Peter,

Sorry for the confusion. For a combo player I think it does CD very well. It will hang with most $500 and under dedicated players. However I have always felt that a dedicated CD player will outperform a combo player of the same price. If music is most important(redbook CD), then I would consider the 640C. Very nice at $500.

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1335
Okay.

I really need to listen to a CD player in-house.

Gold Member

New York USA

Post Number: 1256
Well said. Have fun!

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1352
I have a lead on a used Rotel RCD-02 (for about the price of a new NAD C521BEE). Comments on that?

I'd have to buy it without any home testing...

Silver Member
Username: T_bomb25

Dayton, Ohio United States

Post Number: 824
The RCD-o2 is a much better cd player than the 521,I would check out the Onix xcd88 it is essentially a music hall cd25 for half of the price thru www.av123.com to my ears it is better than the the RCD-02 and the 542 and it is the most upgradeble out of all those CD players,its ton of upgrades for them and its going for $299 and it is $600 thru music hall,it is actually a Shandling,the best deal you can get in a cd player and then later on you have the luxury of making it rival some really highend players with all the Cap upgrades they have for it.

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1353
Thanks Tawaun,

The Onix looks interesting. I'd have to order it into Canada and pay duties, brokerage fees and 15% tax. Still worth it compared to a US$390 slightly used Rotel RCD-02 ?

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 1768
Peter you can get a B-stock xcd-88 for $250 from them, that should help offset all the duties etc.

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1355
Is that an endorsement Edster?

:-)

The B-stock listed on their web site has a defect:

"NOTE! This player does not sit perfectly flat (the chassis is torqued slightly)."

So... between the new Onix and the used Rotal RCD-02? Who votes Rotel? :-)

Gold Member

Post Number: 1770
no, it's an invitation for you to be an ecoustics guinea pig, like I will soon be with the Panny xr55! : )

I am plenty happy with the SQ I'll be getting with the Marantz cc4300 that's arriving tomorrow, $142 shipped.

Didn't read the defect description though...geez, that's kinda scary.

Silver Member

Post Number: 843
Peter Onix has the new one to for $50 bucks more and yes I would rather have it than the Rotel a little warmer sounding and better slam in the bass.

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1356
To cover all the bases, there's a (2003) Pioneer Elite DV-45A universal player for US$250 on audiogon. Recommended?

Google turns up this favorable review:
http://www.hometheatersound.com/equipment/pioneer_elite_dv45a.htm

I'll admit that buying the used Rotel is less risky than the Onix (no tax, no shipping, no shipping damage, no UPS brokerage fees).

Silver Member

Post Number: 847
You mean cheaper Peter,look shipping is shipping,its always a risk,but since all of your choices are mailorders then,go for the best sound and thats the xcd 88.

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1357
My choices so far, none of which I have heard...

Cambridge Audio Azur 540C (CD) C$490
Cambridge Audio Azur 540D (DVD, CD) C$490
NAD C521BEE (CD) C$450
NAD C542 (CD, HDCD) C$700
Onix xcd-88 (CD, HDCD) US$300 + shipping + brokerage
Rotel RCD-02 (CD, HDCD) $390 used (no taxes!)
Pioneer Elite DV-45A (DVD, CD, SACD, DVDA) C$325 used (no taxes!)

Anonnn
Unregistered guest
mr tawun what makes you such an expert on what the best sound is??? why not say "in my opinion" you are not the expert here and what makes you qualified? is there an industry that revolves around your huge ego?

Silver Member

Post Number: 849
Look silly little Anon impersonator,we are not on here playing games if wanna play go play your X-box!

Silver Member

Post Number: 850
Peter its hard to beleive the xcd-88 is cheaper than every one of those units in Canada Woah! that makes it a inceadible bargain!

Anonni
Unregistered guest
did i bruise yo ego? you did not anwer the question. what makes you such a friggin'expert on what the best sound is? don't avoid it by throwing a tantrum.

Silver Member

Post Number: 854
Because apparently im not like Paul im not gonna critisize any thing I havent heard.Every product that I comment on I have heard and most of it I have heard very extensively,so am a expert yes thats my job,do I know every single componant no knowone does,thats thousands and thousands of gear to listen to if I could hear everything I would and I will listen to as much as I can,have I listened to a lot of it yes,90% of what is brought up on this board I have heard it,so does that answer your question?

Anonnnn
Unregistered guest
is zat how yo lure little boys to your loft? by pretending to be something yur not lol

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1358
Thanks Tawaun.

What I meant is that there's risk of damage shipping from the US using UPS, and returning a defective unit back to the US is still expensive because of custom issues.

The Rotel is sold used by a friend of a friend in Quebec City (200 miles away). That's too far to borrow and try for an evening, but I could pick it up durting my next visit there and not worry about shipping it.

With shipping, taxes and brokerage feees, the US$299 Onix could easily turn out to be C$530, so it's more expensive than the Rotel and the NAD C521BEE, and comparable to the Cambridge Audio Auzur 540C (or D).

I might be able to get a NAD on sale soon from the local store (no shipping), or perhaps a store demo at a discount, since the store that carries them will be moving soon. Plus, that store has a no-interest 36-month payment plan.

Wish I could audition these things. I have two audiophile neighbours. One says he barely tells the difference between his C$1200 Denon CD player and his DVD player playing CDs (don't know the models), and the other says I might get better sound than my inexpensive DVD player if I spent C$800 on a CD player. He's not even sure about that.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1776
> the other says I might get better sound than my inexpensive DVD player if I spent C$800 on a CD player.

Peter I'll bet he has a Sony DVD player.

Good to hear about your two neighbors though, I was starting to think that there was something wrong with my hearing! : )

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1359
Good to hear about your two neighbors though, I was starting to think that there was something wrong with my hearing! : )

Meaning that you also don't detect much differences between units?

I don't know... You'd think my old C$300 DVD player might be as good as today's Pioneer US$100 unit, which you quickly eliminated!

If I had to judge from your shootout, I would have thought that any CD player from my list would be hard to differentiate from eachother but likely much better than what I have now.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1780
Sony supposedly is the best sounding mass market CD and DVD maker, some people add Phillips to that list too.

I wouldn't say that ANY cheap DVD player will sound similar...that Pioneer certainly had a much harsher sound, and my $65 Panasonic DVD player doesn't do music too well either.

What I'd wager though is that a $120 Sony CD player (not the ES line like mine) probably is not real far behind from an "audiophile" CD player up to $500...subtle rather than dramatic differences.

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1360
I am plenty happy with the SQ I'll be getting with the Marantz cc4300 that's arriving tomorrow, $142 shipped.

Art's old unit?

How about the Marantz DV-6500 universal player? I hear it's C$700 here:

- 192 kHz/24-bit audio D/A converters
- Audio EX mode (video off)
- Bass Management for both SACD and DVD-A

Gold Member

Post Number: 1782
no I got it from accessories4less.com

don't know anything about the 6500, it seems a bit unnecessary for my needs since have no desire to start buying DVD-A/SACDs with their outrageous prices and crappy selection

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1361
If I'm reconsidering universal players, there's the Denon 1920 which has similar features than the Marantz DV-6500:

Pure Direct Mode lets you turn off the video circuits and front-panel display for improved audio clarity from all your music.

Burr-Brown DSD-1608, 24 bit, 192 kHz Audio DACs with discrete decoding of PCM and DSD audio signals.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1571
I have the DV6400 (same as the DV6500) in my media storage room with my little 20 inch Toshiba TV. It used to be my main universal player until I bought the Denon DVD2910. The Denon trumps it in every way. The Marantz is a case of too little technology for too much money. If you were to find one at a really good price it might be worth it but I'd bet money to marbles that the new Denon DVD1920 would out perform it.

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1362
Thanks Art!

Any comments about the rest of the thread? For instance, the used Rotel RCD-02 for C$390 ?

Gold Member
Username: Thx_3417

Post Number: 1264
Peter,

When reading this from the top is was thinking "Denon" which model, well your guess is as good as mine.

But seeing I only use the two DVD players for CD leistering like the Pioneer DV-525 and the Sony DVP-S336 which sound fine, though a dedicated CD will be more choice.

Ashley

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1363
Hmmm. So add the Denon 2910 to the list as well...

A refurb from www.ecost.com would cost me:

Subtotal: C$515.91
Shipping: C$16.14
Handling: C$22.16
GST / HST: C$36.11

Total Price: C$590.32 (Equivalent to a local purchase of C$515 + taxes.)

It's about the same price as the Cambridge Audio Azur 540C (or D) and a tad more than a NAD C521BEE. Probably less than a Denon 1920 purchased locally (unknown price).

How old is the Denon 2910? Is it worth considering? It is listed at a MSRP of C$1170.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1265
Peter,

Well I do like the "Yamaha" DVD-S1500 and the layout of the back that was sexy looking.

Ashley

Upload

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1364
Thanks Andy,

The S1500 was disqualified in another thread:

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/156454.html

---

It's a toss-up for me now between a universal DVD player such as the Denon 2910 or 1920 (which would you get?), or a dedicated CD player such as the used Rotel or perhaps the Onix. I wonder if the difference with these standalone CD players would be worth it.

In another forum, I'm told that there isn't much difference between all DVD and CD players for redbook before I get to CD players such as Cary, CEC, Copland, Classé CDP100.

I really don't know what to do...

Rantz
Unregistered guest
Peter,

If you can afford the Denon 2910 (released end 2003) then it's a no brainer with decent CD playback, superb SACD and DVD-A as well as various future proof video and digital outputs. Some of the VERY good stand alone Cd players might be slightly better for redbook, but for a very good all rounder I wouldn't go past it for the money.

Does it come with warranty?

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1365
I don't know about the warranty. I presume so, but buying it from the US would complicate matters a lot anyway.

http://www.ecost.com/ecost/shop/detail.asp?dpno=176661

They state "call us" for availability, so they likely don't have any this minute. But I could check in once in a while if I decided that's what I want.

Rantz
Unregistered guest
Sorry Peter, the 2910 is the current 2005 model but was released around Sept last year (I think). I was getting confused with the 2200 being the previous years model without some of the latest goodies.

Good luck with your ultimate decision.

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1366
Hmmm. That makes it even more appealing then.

I'm very confused. On another forum, the audiophiles are suggesting that I should be looking at used C$1000 players instead of C$500 players. They say the difference is substantial. I just don't think I'm there yet. I won't hear what they hear and then they rightly say I need to spend $5000 on amplification to make it work.

Rantz
Unregistered guest
It's easy to get swayed by high quality, but unfortunately most of us need to live within our means. I am somewhat hypocritical in this regard because I could not really afford the equipment we have purchased. But we have not gone overboard either. With much of the hi-fi gear to choose from you can spend an awful lot for only small increments of improved sound quality.

If the sound of your component lets you enjoy the music then you should have accomplished what you set out for. If you want to listen to the system then that's another story and can be a truly expensive one.

My Denon DVD-2900 (RRP here $1999AU) is only a very small margin ahead of our Marantz CC-4300 (RRP $549) for redbook playback (I thought it was the other way around until I realised I had made a set-up error). Unless doing a critical listening test one would be hard pressed to notice the difference. Of course there will always be is much better stuff out there, but at what cost and what time and energy to fine THE ONE?

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1367
Thanks Rantz. Makes sense...

The most bang for the buck in terms of redbook playback is to buy the used Rotel. The Denon 2910 refurb would be riskier (what if it's broken when it gets here from the US? what if the sound is only marginally better than what I have now?) but more rewarding for SACD playback; I could finally listen to Diana Krall in full high-res! The easiest for cash outlay is to go with NAD at my local store (36 month no interest plan).

Decisions, decisions.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1799
Peter,

in case you're curious how the Marantz 4300 turned out:

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/158402.html

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1371
After, repeating here what I wrote there so nothing gets lost:

--

So at US$150 I should just buy that as my dedicated CD player and forget about the Rotel RCD-02, or NAD C521BEE or Denon 2910 refurb?

It's that good?

---

The Marantz CC4300 has a MSRP of C$400 here, so it's nearly the (local) price as the Cambridge Audio Azur 540C or the NAD C521BEE (and more than the used Rotel RCD-02).

Thus US$150 is a very good price but ww.accessories4less.com does not accept orders out of the US... Gotta cross it off my list...

Silver Member

Post Number: 867
Peter the Onix is comparable to the 542,and azure 640 its in a differant higher class than the azure 540 and 521bee,so if these 2 units cost that in Canada than the Onix is a striking bargain.

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1373
Thanks.

I was told that the Nad 542 is bright?

Also, Would you put the Rotel RCD-02 in the same league as the NAD 542 and Onix?

Lastly, how much redbook CD playback quality would I give up going with the Denon DVD-2910 universal instead?

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1375
I know I change my mind everyday, but right now I'm leaning towards the Cambridge Audio Azur 540D DVD-A player for C$489 (about the same price as in the US). I'd try to deal the 15% taxes away.

I could use it as a DVD player, moving the old DVD player to the living room. I could buy all my favorite Diana Krall CDs again as DVD-A. According to Art, Rick Barnes and someone on another forum, it's a good performer. Art said it's nearly as good as the more expensive (C$700) NAD C542 CD player.

That should mean skipping on the used Rotel RCD-02 for C$390 and spending a little more. While the Rotel has good reviews, I feel I could get equivalent redbook CD from the CA 540D and get a decent DVD-A player at the same time. The alternative, for the same cost, is buying both the Rotel CD player and the C$150 Pioneer universal player as a DVD player. But then I would be compromising on DVD-A playback.

I'll admit that the Onix has me wondering, as lots of people on another forum says there is a world of difference once you get over the C$1000 mark and into the multi-thousand dollar player. By that account, the Onix is a clone of a C$1000 player so might play at that level!

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1376
I found a used Arcam DV-88P for C$600. I'm told it's a better CD and DVD player than the Cambridge Audio 540D (which is no surprise considering it costs more used than the CA does new).

Any opinions?

This is actually a tad more expensive than a new Onix or a new CA 540D.

Would the Arcam play redbook CDs better than the CA 540D would play DVD-A? (Considering I can start stacking up on DVD-A...)

Rantz
Unregistered guest
http://www.homecinemachoice.com/reviews/hccreviews/DVDPlayers/Arcam/ArcamDV88Plu s.php

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1377
Thanks. It's mostly a video review. All it says that Redbook playback is:

Last but definitely not least, it was also pleasing to discover that the promised sound quality improvement in CD mode is no idle boast. The DV88 Plus really does sound even more subtle and refined than its predecessor, with solid punch and bold dynamics when the occasion demands. It is a very obvious step up from the regular DV88, and is lodged well into the territory of the specialist CD player, though not yet quite up to the standards of Arcam's own CD92 or FMJ CD23.

I suppose that's encouraging...

Silver Member
Username: Danman

QUEBEC CANADA

Post Number: 472
Peter, www.audiocentre.com is a store in Ottawa and Montreal that quoted me a price of 600$ for a NAD C542. If you buy from the Ottawa store, you only pay one tax. Maybe this will help.

Silver Member

Post Number: 871
No Peter neither the Nad or the onix are bright,both are pleasantly warm,with the Onix being more a little more lively,and detailed with better top end extension,with a better soundstage and more focused imaging,although soundstage size is close.

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1378
Thanks guys!

The Arcam is no longer for sale. The owner decided to keep it but strongly recommends it even for redbook CD.

Thanks for the price info Danman! Just knowing that makes I can work my local store down to that price!

Thanks for the opinion Tawaun. It's reassuring. Guess I may have to decide between the used Rotel RCD-02, the NAD C542 CD player, or the Cambridge Audio Azur DVD-A player (which Art liked nearly as much as his Nad C542 for redbook CD).

Silver Member

Post Number: 890
That Yammie is real thin.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1320
Tawaun

"The Secrets of Home Theatre and High Fidelity"
http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/main.html

Also as moderators so it will be in order unlike what you and I and a few others as well, it's got a whole lot more of the same as hear with a difference, there's no one insulting you at every corner, which you have experienced countless times, also the video interviews are very interesting.

Ashley

Silver Member

Post Number: 894
Ill have to check that out Andy.

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1380
I wrote: Guess I may have to decide between the used Rotel RCD-02, the NAD C542 CD player, or the Cambridge Audio Azur DVD-A player (which Art liked nearly as much as his Nad C542 for redbook CD).

The used Rotel is still available, and there's the possibility of a NAD C541i for C$400 too now.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1600
Both are very good. Depends on which sound you like. Rotels are more forward and can sound a bit harsh to some folks. I enjoyed my RCD971 a great deal but my wife had to leave the room because the high end bothered her. The NAD is more laid back, very pleasant. The bass is not as in your face with the NAD as it is with Rotel. Rotel's are also a bit more detailed where the NAD sounds more natural. In this price range there are compromises that must be made. It's up to you which you can live with.

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1384
Thanks Art. Any great reason to spring the extra bucks for the C542 vs the C541i?

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1386
Speaking of the Rotel RCD971, there's a used one for C$550. Guess it's a more expensive unit than the RCD-02, but the RCD-02 is still made and the RCD-971 is not. Should I read anything into that?

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1603
The C542 has a few goodies in it that the C541i does not. I don't remember what they are at the moment but when I bought the C542 I researched it. The goodies = better bass and more refined high end.

http://www.audioenz.co.nz/2004/nad_542.shtml

I loved my RCD971 and even had it modified by Jim Ott at Northwest Audio Labs (which made a good CD player into a very good one). I would not buy a used RCD971 as their transport has about a 5-7 yrs life at max and is fairly costly to replace.

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1387
Okay, thanks.

The Rotel RCD-02 belongs to a friend of a friend. My friend the intermediary says it has very little usage. He'll act as my ears and will go to his friend's place to hear it versus a regular DVD player, and he'll report back. It's not the same as me listening to it on my gear, but if I hate it I can always sell at little loss.

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1401
Hi guys... saga continues.

A more expensive unit was suggested as a bargain: the C.E.C. CD3300

http://www.cec-web.co.jp/products/player/cd3300_e.html

Here's a review light on content:

http://www.hometheaterspot.com/html/reviews/techreview.php?rev=31

If I google for "Burr-Brown PCM1738" I also find models such as:

shanling SCD-T200C UK
Ayre CX-7 CD player ($3000)
Esoteric's DV-50 ($5500)

Interesting!

The CEC 3300 sells for about US$1000 in Europe but about US$550 in the US and C$790 here. I'd be looking at over C$900 after taxes, so it's a little pricy.

The dealer can also get new units of the older Arcam CD-72 for C$625 (+ taxes) and has a used Arcam Alpha 7 for C$350.

Silver Member
Username: Danman

QUEBEC CANADA

Post Number: 504
Hard decision eh Peter? There is so much stuff out there it makes your head spin!

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1402
LOL!

That's right!

Most of my problem comes from the fact that I've never experienced differences due to a different player. That and the fact that I've already overspent this year. So I'd feel better spending less on the used Rotel, but getting a C$790 unit would be okay on a 24-month payment plan! :-)

Unfortunately, that dealer doesn't offer that...

That CEC CD3300 might cure upgradis for a few years on the source front!

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1616
Beware Peter! Who's the reviewer? Do you know and trust his work? I would be wary. Then again I don't like the Shanling or Music Hall players. They sound lifeless and have considerable QC issues. In the budget price range NAD and Rotel have the market cornered. If you want to spend more I'm sure we can make other recommendations.

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1403
There are very thorough reviews in the French hifi mags so I guess they are more well known in Europe. CEC made their name in hifi turntables and have been making CD players since the early 80's. The CEC CD-3300 is their first 'budget' HiFi CD player. Their popular model is several times the price.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1620
Might be worth a try if you can swing it. That is without someone (who will remain nameless) swinging something at you. Personally I would still be wary, then again I don't read french. Also be aware that the French have different tastes in hifi than North Americans do. You know, now that I think about it I really like Triangle speakers and Cairn components.

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1404
Yeah, I still don't know. I hate this buying in the dark.

But I'll tell I much appreciate your time and comments! :-)

Edster922-via-peter
Unregistered guest
Edster wrote this in https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/160325.html

for the CD/DVD player you might want to look into is the Toshiba 3980, BestBuy has it for $60. Here's why:

http://www.referenceaudiomods.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Cod e=Tosh_3960&Category_Code=MODS

I'm thinking of buying one just to hear it myself, BB sells plenty of Bose and can afford to give me a refund. LOL

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1407
The above is interesting, since I got the same recommendation from someone on the Klipsch forum, ecept that no mods were mentionned. The person said:

If you're able to give something unconventional an open-minded try, the Toshiba is a good suggestion. An even cheaper and equally outstanding player is the Toshiba 3960/3980 DVD player. 3980's are currently available at your local big box retailer for $59.00. I have three and am listening to one right now. You have to be pretty secure with yourself to try this- it won't impress your friends. But the sound is unbelievable. I'd love to see some folks squirm after a DBT between this and their favorite high bucks unit. Anyhow, if you don't like it, just pack it back up and return it, nothing lost.

If you do try one, be sure to use three isolation blocks under it, and a couple of heavy books atop it for vibration damping. $1.00 skin pumice stones from your nearby QVC or Wal-Mart work well for the isolation blocks.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1835
hmm, $1.oo skin pumice stones! I'll have to check that out.

I may pass on the Toshiba unless I have a REALLY slow week, since I just played some music on my cheap Panasonic DVD player hooked up to the xr55 on a digital coax and it sounds about the same as the Marantz, since no outboard DACs are involved.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1628
Oh Eddie you have slipped down the slope. Keep listening you will here the difference.

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1408
Hey Art, any comment about the $60 Toshiba?

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1629
I've owned Toshiba DVD players because they have always represented good value. But they aren't even close to good gear in sound quality. They represent good value and that's it. For cd's they are awful. Sony's inexpensive SACD player sounds very good for SACD but awful for cd's. Who knows why manufacturers don't produce inexpensive cd players that sound good.

As far as Eddie's statement I don't know what to say. When I first heard digital sound I was struck by how smooth it was but it didn't take long to figure out that it wasn't musical.

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1410
Thanks Art,

But I think that the rave around certain rare models of cheap DVD players sounding good does not extrapolate to the entire brand. Some in a while, you'll see forums discovering a cheap unit that sounds well above its price for some reason. This seems to be the case for this Toshiba. Doesn't mean any other model they manufacture has the same magic.

So no opinion about this specific model?

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1630
My opinion is about Toshiba Peter. It has been the preferred brand for home installers who's clients insist on budget gear. Trust me there is no magic in that model. I fell sucker to that once with a Sony model (highly regarded by some reputable hifi rags) got it home and guess what..it was same junk as the rest of their budget stuff. Most recently there was a Panasonic that everyone raved about. Same thing it was average fare from them. We all want to believe that there is a free lunch...there ain't.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1880
I have to amend my comments on the Panny DVD player somewhat. Today I ABed the $60 Panny against the Marantz cdp both on coax and did find that I preferred the Marantz, then I hooked up the Marantz to the Panny receiver on an analog connection and found that I did prefer that over the digital connection.

Source material was a 20 second passage of a Norah Jones song with a vocal cresendo.

Not by any huge earthshaking margin mind you, but still a difference nonetheless...well, unless it was my subconscious mind telling me to make up for upsetting Art with all my foaming at the mouth about the Panny receiver on the other thread!

(just kidding Art, I know you weren't REALLY upset, LOL.)

There was definitely a bigger difference with the Marantz CDP hooked up the NAD vs. the Sony ES cdp hooked up to the NAD, though.

When Marc comes over here I'll have him blind test me on the issue of Panny DVD vs. Marantz CDP and digital vs. analog connection though, just out of curiousity.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1637
Keep listening Edster it appears that you are beginning to come around. I'm sorry to hear that you are falling for that blind test propaganda. I hope you have been following the Stereophile articles on the subject of late. If you were an experienced listener it would make a difference. Keep listening.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1882
Art,

the reason blind testing appeals to me is because I know just how powerfully autosuggestion, preconceptions and biases can shape our mental interpretations and sensory perceptions. Those things all work together in one's unconscious and are extremely difficult to go beyond usually.

Plus I'm a skeptic by nature, drives the wife crazy.

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1411
Thanks Edster,

But I'm confused... You preferred the Marantz CD player over the Panny DVD player, using digital connections into a digital amplifier. Which did you prefer over analog connections? That's still on the digital amplifier, right?

(Doesn't tell me whether to buy the cheap Toshiba DVD player or not! ;-)

Gold Member

Post Number: 1885
haven't tried analog on the Panny dvd yet, thanks for reminding me.

Surely there must be a Best Buy in your neck of the woods? They have a very nice return (a.k.a. home audition) policy.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1643
Like I said read up on blind testing Eddie. You'd be amazed. It ain't like it seems. I do understand your point but don't forget that music isn't just sound it's all of those things you described.

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1434
There's a used Sony DVP-NS999ES for C$500. It's a DVD/SACD player. Can it compete ?

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1801
No.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1804
Superb DVD player...pretty good SACD player....average cd player.

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1435
Thanks Art.

I have yet to audition my neighbour's Rotel, and someone who lives 60 miles away wants to come audition my speakers and he will bring an Arcam CD player along when he does.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2293
Peter, look at the new Toshiba thread. Might want to take advantage of Best Buy's return policy and A/B that against any audiophile CDP you decide to get...I'd be curious to hear your findings.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1809
Let me know how you like the Arcam Peter.

Eddie, I love ya man but not everybody wants to buy and return equipment. It's quite the pain to go and buy and hookup and return and buy and hookup do it over and over again. Some folks like to do their research in advance. It doesn't guarantee satisfaction but it doesn't hurt. Not that your way is wrong or bad it just doesn't work for me and some other folks.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2298
No problem Art, different strokes for different folks.

I guess the buy-and-return method is the most foolproof way I have found, and the legwork doesn't bother me at least not for tiny lightweight stuff like a disk player.

Also Art I confess to being a sucker for the underdog/dark-horse/giant-killer narrative, in no small way due to my relatively limited cashflow available for this evil hobby of ours. : )

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1823
Unfortunately I wind up doing the buy and return too often. Not because I want to but because if I ain't satisfied I take the item back. Every now and again I should take something back but I don't and then I regret it, the NAD T763 would be an example.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2304
So what will you do with the T763? Is it past the return period? will you Audiogon it?

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1826
I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it. The retail store owner will be back from her island vacation next week and I will call to see what can be done, perhaps a store credit or something.

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1437
I borrowed my neighbour's Rotel RCD-990 (MSRP of $1500 in 1997) last night and compared it to my Pioneer DV-333 DVD player ($250 in 2000). First I tried a Holly Cole CD that I happen to have twice. Being a jazz trio, the music isn't too complex that I couldn't really tell the difference switching between the two (both using analog outputs).

Then I put on Diana Krall's "Don't know enough about you" from Love Scenes. In the first minute of the track, the piano has soft passages that are much lower in volume than vocals or bass. On the DVD player, the vocals and bass have pinpoint imaging but the piano is a bit fuzzy on the right, and I can't make out all the subtleties and the weight of the piano notes when played softly. This improved a lot with the Rotel. The imaging of the piano was more precise and I could hear some detail and attack of the notes, even when very soft compared to bass and vocals.

The Rotel did not sound different in the sound, timbre or imaging of the main instruments and vocals, but pulled out the weaker instruments out of a fog and placed them on the stage.

So I might be getting the used RCD-02 after this experience.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2398
Peter if you still have the Rotel at home I'd be very curious to hear how it compares to that Toshiba 3980, if you can squeeze in a quick run to a big-box store to pick one up...

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1438
Can't Edster. I haven't seen it locally. I live 200 miles away from the nearest large city (which would be Quebec City, not considered large by US standards).

Gold Member

Post Number: 2410
ok, I'll have to be the guinea pig again, sometime.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1909
I may have an NAD C542 for sale.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2505
heh, Art can you offer a 30 day return period?

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1439
Thanks Art, but on the same day you posted that I was driving to Quebec City where I picked up the Rotel RCD-02.

Cross-border shipping of used electronics is rarely a good deal anyway!

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1933
Congrats Peter I know you will enjoy that player.

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1441
Thanks Art!

Silver Member
Username: Dakulis

Spokane, Washington United States

Post Number: 598
Peter,

Thanks for the excellent thread and information from the rest of the guys. I've been following along, skulking in the shadows of course, and reading about your various choices and the ups and downs of the various models.

Like you, I finally decided to pull the trigger on a used model and picked up an Arcam Diva CD-92 that I think will work brilliantly with my 2 channel set-up. Enjoy and I hope to do the same when, and if, this system ever gets put together. Thanks, Dave.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2560
Dak,

AB with the Toshiba, AB with the Toshiba!!!

: )

Silver Member

Post Number: 599
Ed,

I would be happy to AB with the Toshiba if I can find the Toshiba locally. However, the Arcam Diva CD-92 was an $1800 player when new plus it plays HDCDs and I'm not sure we're talking about the same ball park. But for you, I'll try anything, well now we know that isn't true, don't we (think Panny). LOL

Rantz
Unregistered guest
Dakulis, Peter and Art

Congrats all on your new toys. They all sound like excellent bits of kit. Hope you all have hours of fun getting into the music. S'truth, it took a couple of you long enough to choose (you know which two). Like a couple of old woman at the discount bin you were. Phew!

Silver Member

Post Number: 603
Hey Rantz, welcome back, we missed you.

Now, who you calling an old lady? Oh, you meant Art and Peter. LOL

Rantz
Unregistered guest

Oh and Dak, I've been around - in one form or another :-)

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1442
Hi Rantz!

Yeah, I know. Takes me forever sometimes. Then I get it done and it's on to the next thing.

I can't believe I got back into audio-video less than two years ago after a long time away. I didn't have a 5.1 receiver back then and bought the h/k avr-325 in february 2004, and moved an extra pair of speakers from the living room to act as surrounds.

Then the following august, even though I had promised to wait until Christmas to buy anything else, I bought the Hsu STF-3 sub.

A few months later, in November 2004, I found a single used Klipsch Heresy to act as my center speaker to match my Klipsch La Scala mains. I had been using the TV speakers fed from the center pre-out until then.

Skip forward to around May 2005, I got a pair of Klipschorns and moved the La Scala's to surround duty.

This summer I updated the caps on my Klipschorn crossovers.

Now I just bought the Rotel RCD-02 CD player.

What's next? Probably all-new design crossovers fo the Klipschorns and I'll swap out their now updated crossovers to the La Scala.

Interesting hobby isn't it?

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1950
Thanks Rantz. It's good to see you still with us. Your valuable comments are always a welcome read. And let me tell you, it sho 'nuff took dem fellas a long time to choose. But that's alright looks like they made some good choices. Enjoy gentlemen.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2564
David,

> I would be happy to AB with the Toshiba if I can find the Toshiba locally.

What??? There's no Best Buy, Circuit City, Target, Sears, or Walmart in your town? I remember you like to say you live in an audio desert but come ON now, surely you jest!

> However, the Arcam Diva CD-92 was an $1800 player when new plus it plays HDCDs and I'm not sure we're talking about the same ball park.

heh, well that's just it...what *if* you found the Toshiba to be CLOSE to the same ballpark?

I mean, wouldn't that be the damndest thing?

On the other hand if the Arcam crushes the Toshiba into fine dust you have my full blessing to roll on the floor and laugh your @ss off at me until Christmas 2015! LOL

Rantz
Unregistered guest
Guys - it sure is an interesting hobby - or is that obsession? Anyway, it is always gratifying to be pleased with the latest purchase. My next one (audio) will be a long time coming - if the better half has her way. She wants to travel, but I haven't found one tour that has top audio component shops on the agenda :-)

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1951
Eddie there ain't no free lunch...give it up..lol!

Silver Member

Post Number: 605
Eddie,

What's this Best Buy and Circuit City places you keep talking about? LOL Yeah, my kids worked at BB this last summer, I'm just pulling your chain.

On this one, I'll actually give it a go for you after I get the system put together, because I don't have to try and get to the back of the dang equipment through the stinkin' entertainment center. So, I'll give ya an A/B and report later.

BUT, I'm with Art on this one, I'm thinkin' the Toshiba will be stinkin'. LOL Although I saw on Audiogon where you can buy the Toshiba, spend about $300-$400 on "mods" and it's the best CDP under $4000. Now, I believe those guys, don't you? LOL

Rantz, are you going to help us with Eddie here, he's on a Panny/Toshiba mission and he already hooked me up with the Ascends. I think he's trying to push me into a 3rd system, to be named the EDSTERMEISTER. Panny/Toshiba/Ascends for 2 channel, maybe?

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1952
Scary!

Silver Member

Post Number: 607
You're telling me. Now, that's a sound that only a mother could love. FrankenMumm Edster, gotta love it.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2572
actually David, what you saw on Audiogon is probably the same thing as this:

http://www.referenceaudiomods.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Cod e=Tosh_3960&Category_Code=MODS&Product_Count=19

See, and here's what they say about it:

"Talk about a sleeper! This unit retails for $129, and can be found on-line or at Best Buy for around $69. The unit stock sounds as good as any $300-600 I've heard."

OF COURSE if it's posted on the Internet, it HAS to be true...in fact there's a couple of legal statutes governing the strict publishing of only empirically verifiable facts in cyberspace, which I'm sure that you are well aware of!

In all seriousness though David, if you could AB the Toshiba against your Arcam, and also against your Denon, I'd just be curious to hear how big the differences are. (Or, LOL, not.)

Silver Member

Post Number: 611
Ed,

I will give it a shot with the Arcam. I'm not certain I want to attack the Denon, which is buried in the HT center but I may be able to do a sorta A/B and run the Ascend fronts off the Arcam and try it that way. No promises on that one, though. I'm still thinkin' the Toshiba is stinkin'.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2579
David,

hey that's what credit cards and return policies are for! God bless America---you can't do this buy-try-and-return stuff in most places in the world...

Anyways, check out this thread, especially the last post by username Dozer who went from a Denon 4806 to an all-digital Rotel 1077:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=591368&page=1&p p=30

(collapse the double "p"---it was censored)

On the same thread, there is another Denon 3802 owner who tried out the Panny and preferred it too.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1964
Yeah Eddie and that Rotel (power amp only) appears to be a steal at $2500 (rolls his eyes). For that money you can get a 7x200 watt Sherbourn and rock the nation.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2585
Art,

Heh, I never said the Rotel was a STEAL...that would be the Panny! I just wanted to show that the SQ of digital amps are not by definition inferior to analog, by any stretch of the imagination.

David seems to have accepted the steadily eroding conventional wisdom that analog sounds "better" so I thought it would be educational for him to see other owners of high end Denons also going digital, whether it's the Panny or the Rotel.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2590
David,

btw you might want to specifically read posts #53, 56, and 57 from that link I posted. (Nice thing about avsforum is how they number each post in each thread for easy reference.)

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/show...t=591368&page=3

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1970
ipod or $5000 high end server, Panny or $2500 Rotel digital amp. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out there is a difference.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2591
Of course there's a difference, the question = is there a $2250 difference or a $250 difference?

It's all subjective of course, and until one's ears get to decide (ideally in a blind AB listen of your own soure material), the rubber has yet to meet the road no matter how much speculation we do.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1974
I don't think so. The blind test is a test of a person's ability discern sound not the equipment one is listening to.

Have you read the Stereophile issues where they deal with blind testing. Even if you disagree it wouldn't hurt to educate yourself on the subject.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2594
Actually I have read that Stereophile review, you and/or Jan have posted it almost as many times as I've posted about the Panny. (just kidding of course, LOL)

If I remember correctly, the author states that even though he failed the blind testing, after a few months of listening to unit A that his blind testing indicated sounded just like unit B, he went back to unit B and voila, found some sort of missing "magic" that is simply too profound and mystical to be described in words or measured by any sort of listening tests.

More troublesome (at least to me) is the implication that you should just stick to whatever makes you FEEL good rather than what demonstrably IS good...a sort of audio solipsism, which if applied to other arenas would justify an image-based marketing approach (which we already have too much of) instead of a concrete reality/quality-based approach.

For instance if using super unleaded gasoline in my Honda Civic makes me "feel" that it transforms the 120hp engine into a Ferrari, when any engineer will tell you that it makes not one iota of difference, I should still p e e away the extra 20 cents a gallon anyways just to indulge my personal delusions.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1976
It's not a Stereophile review it is a series of editorials.

"More troublesome (at least to me) is the implication that you should just stick to whatever makes you FEEL good rather than what demonstrably IS good"

What is demonstrably, and to whom?

I can easily tell the difference in cables without knowing to what I'm listening and when they have been changed. I don't know the brand right away but I know that I am hearing something very different. I just demonstrated that the other day at Stereotypes. Yet many, and at least you at one time you stated that that is not possible.

I don't have "golden ears" but I do have well trained ears.

Reality based testing IMO is for folks who don't have confidence in their listening skills, I don't suffer that.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2599
Hmm! Were you TOLD that there was a different cable being used? And what was it different FROM, a cable that was used earlier during your visit, or a cable that you remembered from your previous visit? I would've liked to see that.

You know Art if you truly can discern different cables I think there are people or organizations who have offered cash prizes for cable identifying in blind testing. Read that during one of these interminable cable-debate threads.

Heck, you could take your winnings and buy even BETTER cables! : )

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1981
We were using the cables that I always use at home which were custom made by Jim Ott at NWAL, also Analysis Plus, Tara Labs, and Kimber.

Like I said I never knew which brand I was listening to (except Jim's which I listen to all of the time) but I always knew when there was a change and to which piece of gear, even though I could not see which one (or more)she was changing. I was also consistent which ones I liked best with which equipment.

As far as the cable debates I don't engage in them except only to say once that I can hear the differences. I could never convince someone who doesn't hear the differences or who is convinced by science that the differences don't exist that they really do, so why bother.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2603
Well it is not beyond the realm of possibility that you are an owner a pair of those much fabled "golden ears" whether by genetics or training, Art! : )

Silver Member

Post Number: 626
OK Art,

Having looked at Analysis-Plus and some of these other cable/speaker wire manufacturers, I'm going to need a 2nd mortgage if I move in that direction. Heck, it's about `1/2 way to a Studio 40, v3.

So, do they, IYHO, improve the sound that much? Or, should I stick with off the shelf stuff from Radio Shack, BB, CC or the like?

Rantz
Unregistered guest
Dak,

I know you're asking Art this question, but in my little experience with cables let say that I noticed a small improvement in SQ changing from 12g Monster to the 2nd cheapest Kimber twisted speaker cable. The cable for the LC&R speakers set me back $160 Au and the previous Monster cable had been a gift and was fairly old. Was the benefit worth the money - not really - not for me - for someone with an over-abundance of the green stuff maybe.

Interconnects - I had been using our version of your radio shack stuff for my 5.1 connections and changed to a very cheap but reasonable quality brand (all the necessary blab including silver solder etc) and noticed a tiny sq improvement. So I agree with Art that cables & wires can make a difference but paying a fortune for high end cables is subjective with your bank account/sound benefits ratio.

Being a lawyer I guess you're loaded :-) so give it a shot - kidding.

Silver Member
Username: Two_cents

Post Number: 655
Dak,

See if there is a local audio dealer that will let you borrow some demo cables (or has a generous return policy) and listen for yourself whether there's a difference. I would at least demo expensive cables before laying out the cash.

Personally I agree with Rantz. I don't hear a significant difference in sound quality among cables. In fact, I'm not sure the differences I notice aren't attributable to psychological factors.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2013
Buy good cables Dave it's worth it. I wouldn't play my gear with Radio Shack interconnects. Remember though that there is very little correlation between how much you spend on cables and how good they are. The $100 Analysis Plus cable was more neutral that my custom cables but they were lifeless and I couldn't use them. It isn't until you get to their $400 cable that it has the life of my $45 custom cables and the neutrality to go with it. It's really a crap shoot. I like Kimber, Analysis Plus (mid range), AudioQuest (mid range) and some others that I can't think of right now.

AudioQuest puts a lot of money into advertising so they are a bit spendy but they stand by their product like no one else. I bought their $150 HDMI cable and it failed, they apologized emphatically and sent me their $350 one at no extra cost. BTW it's fantastic.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2638
David,

ahem, for the cost of upgrading your cables you could easily pay someone to drive you in comfort to that Paradigm shop, carry your Ascend 170s in and out for the AB listening, and drive you back.

Then you may well find that the SQ difference between the Studio 20s and the Ascend 170s is too minute to justify forking out big bucks for them, and you can use *that* savings to buy yourself the Panasonic sa-xr55 secretly and enjoy the hell out of it without breathing a word to Art and Jan over here.

LOL!

Anonymous

Art, or anyone else who cares to answer: I have read the Stereophile papers on ABX testing. I can understand that switching back and forth from component to component for a couple minutes and that being it wouldn't be a particularly good test. However, it would be possible and plausible to set up a different type of test which was more long term and did more effectively duplicate how people actually use their equipment.

Beyond the pages of Stereophile, I have also read psychology textbooks which make state double blind testing is the only way to assure that there are no biases which influence one's decision.

Given that you are a social worker, with I presume at least some training in psychology, what are your thoughts on these items.

Disclaimer: I don't claim that there is or is not a difference among cables, amplifiers, etc.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2016
I'm not doing therapy, I'm doing welfare work. In other words my work is not theoretical, it's where the rubber meets the road.

I'm not an engineer, I'm an audio enthusiast. I couldn't care less what anyone says about double blind testing or anything else for that matter, I know what I hear and what my preferences are and that is all that matters. No one will be doing my listening for me so it is up to me to decide my beliefs around this hobby and my beliefs are based on experience.

Same with my work. I studied theory in several discplines, but in front line social work theory means nothing practice and experience means everything.

Have you ever heard me ask for anyone's opinion about audio equipment before buying. There is a reason for that. I would have to know more about the folks here than I do before I would ask opinions. I do ask a couple of my long term audiophile friends here at home their opinions because I have a long established relationship with them and understand their biases.

Anonymous

Sigh... Enjoy Art.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2019
I hope you enjoy the hobby as much as I do.

Java Jive
Unregistered guest
To: Rick, Peter, or anyone who now owns a 540D, what does the text in bold mean (below). I don't quite understand it.

"The audio processing includes support for DVD-Audio and built-in decoding for Dolby Digital, but not DTS.

"DTS signals can still be passed via the digital output for external decoding by a receiver or processor, but the Azur 540D will not provide any signal from its analog outputs from DTS discs..."

(Quoted from http://www.hometheatersound.com/equipment/cambridge_audio_azur_540d.htm)

Java Jive
Unregistered guest
Addendum:

Does that mean that the 540D will not process DTS-encoded DVD's? Therefore, it's your receiver that should do it? Sorry, but I just don't get it. So far, all the reviews I've read on the internet, except HT Sound.com, don't mention anything regarding 540D's native DTS processing.

thanks

JJ

Rantz
Unregistered guest
Yes, that is what it means if the above comment is true. It will pass a digital DTS signal to the receiver.

Silver Member

Post Number: 633
Sorry guys, I was getting ready for depositions and out of town taking them so no time to check in.

Rantz, if I was loaded, would I have bought Ascend speakers? (Yeah I might have because they're fantastic at their price point. But, I really, really liked the sound of Art's Studio 60s and I could have gone with a 2.1 channel set-up (yeah no center I'm afraid without spending another $500 or so) and then I'd be waiting to buy Studio 40 rears - maybe. Maybe not.) They sounded great to my ears but I never got the chance to hear them next to the Ascend 170s with and without a sub even though I suspect I'd still like the Studio 60s better. Now, because they're more expensive or because I like the sound better, I'm not quite so willing as Art to discount psychology in buying decisions.

New 2006 Miata or Toyota Camry, you can get them for about the same price but an awful lot of factors go into the buying situation, including your stage in life and what other things you need to cover with the available dollars. Always a trade-off. (ART, yeah I know it's not exactly a fair analogy but you get the idea.)

Now Art, where do I get your $45 custom cables and why would I need to pay any more if they sound as good as something costing 3 times the amount. (BTW - that's the same price range as Rantz's Monster cables, maybe less.

So Art, share already. OR, do I have to travel to the audio Eden of Portland to find these cables? LOL

Ed, what makes you think I haven't already bought the Panny, snuck it into my house, listened to it, love it and sold my Denon on eBay. Now, you'll never know, will ya? LOL

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2059
My friend Jim Ott who owns Northwest Audio Labs in Corvallis makes custom interconnects. BTW I have Studio 40's and 20's. Couldn't see paying the extra $400 for more cabinet with 60's.

Who says I dismiss psychology in buying decisions?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2708
> Ed, what makes you think I haven't already bought the Panny, snuck it into my house, listened to it, love it and sold my Denon on eBay.

'Cause if you did, you'd be jumping up and down barking at the moon and uncontrollably gushing at just how unbelievably DIVINE your whole system suddenly sounds with this little $230 marvel...further annoying Art, LOL!

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2061
Oh no it won't annoy me. I know that the folks who dig the Panny are just looking for a different sound than I am (a bad one...lol). :-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us