Athena or fluance?

Username: Swirvin

Post Number: 1
a package of 2 AS-B1's, 2 surround AS-R1's and a center AS-C1 for $329.99 reg.729.99 Canadian or the fluance sx-htb for about the same price.

any opinions? reciever and sub recommendations are invited also.

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 1615
Athenas, at those prices.

Hell you can get 3 pairs of the AS-B1s from audioadvisor for $300 right now for perfect matching. The Fluance SV-6 is said to be pretty OK but that SX-HTB I've heard a little criticism of.

Receiver and sub recs require more info: budget, room size, % music/HT use, etc.

Post Number: 2
room is 13 X 21 with 8ft ceiling.

budget=ACAP (as cheap as possible, lol) NO music, just tv and dvd's but possible future upgrade to some f1-2 fronts so i will need to support a 7.1 setup.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1618
In that case I'd look at the Panasonic sa-xr55 pure digital receiver, $240 from amazon.com

Go to the avsforum.com and do a search, there's a huge thread about this receiver, like its pure digital predecessors the xr25/50/70, it's drawn massive raves from people with receivers/amps costing up to 10 times as much.

That way you can save for the best sub (Google up SVS and Hsu) you can afford which would serve you very well for a HT-only setup, plan on spending at least $400 for it.

Go cheap generic for the cables and interconnects, invest in decent speaker stands to achieve optimal positioning instead.

Bronze Member
Username: Makoman

Post Number: 11
I would consider the fluance SV-6 bookshelves and AV-SC center channel, but I don't have my review done (with respect to comparisons -- Sorry Edster, work and the move have been eating up quite a bit of time! I'm trying!). I will say for HT, they are excellent!

As to cables, try Parts Express, Home Depot, or Lowes for cheap cables/interconnects. Parts Express has a dirt cheap, great bang for your buck sub, the Dayton 12", but I agree with Edster that it's not in the same league as SVS or Hsu, but in comparing ~$150 to ~$350, that's your call. Do a search at avsforum.com about them all three!

As to amazon carrying the Panny receiver, they also have a great combo deal including the point five Athena speakers for $429 total with free saver shipping. Not too bad, IMO.

Gold Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1292
You guys should suggest something from ACME Inc.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1620
> they also have a great combo deal including the point five Athena speakers for $429 total with free saver shipping. Not too bad, IMO.

I'm sure these are not bad for HTIB speakers but I can't imagine them being equal or better to the AS-B1s and AS-B2s that audioadvisor.com is closing out so cheaply right now.

Post Number: 3
^^^^ lol at peter.

well unfortunately im in canada here and amazon will not ship speakers here. im not even sure how much parts express would nail me for shipping a heavy sub let alone the duties too.

so far its out of the sx-htb from fluance or the b1,r1,c1 athena combo.

i did find that panny reciever though at etronics (who does ship) for 249.99 u.s. will come out to $457 canadian to my door.

Gold Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1293
WC,

Standard advice to fellow Canadians:

- receivers are up to twice the price that in the US here. www.ecost.com and www.etronics.com are the solution. Price an h/k receiver from ecost and from Future Shop to see what I mean.

- Canadian brands of speakers are well rated in the US and tend to be a better buy here than there.

- For subs below C$1000 in Canada, look to Hsu which have a Canafian distributor and prices are close to the converted US price.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us