T742 VS T743

Username: Costar

Post Number: 4
Fellas,

Quick Question:

I'm trying to decide between the two for a modest home theater with some psb image series speakers. Johnny and Sem both highly recommended the combo, and I plan on taking a listen at a local hifi store first of next week. Between the two is a $200 difference, and I can't decide if I will need the power boost the 752 has being that my room is a modest 17'x 14'. I just don't want to get one and later wish I had gotten the other.

I have also discovered they are both 5 channel receivers. Forgive me, does this mean I would have to add a power amp down the road for a sub? Also what does a power amp cost, as I'm not familiar. Before I came across this post I was looking at 6.1 receivers, however I can't quite afford the 6 channel NAD's. If it is easy to add a power amp down the road will someone let me know. Thanks for all your help!

Silver Member
Username: Johnny

Missouri

Post Number: 213
Christopher,

Both the 742 and 743 will be very similar in regards to sound and power. The only advantages I see that the 743 has over the 742 are:

1. A/B speaker switching
2. Component video switching
3. On Screen Display
4. HTR-2 Remote (this remote looks MUCH better than the one that comes with the 742).

If those above features are worth an extra $200 to you...then go for the 743...if not...you would be perfectly happy with the 742.

As for adding another power amp in the future...once again...your call. If you want something more than 5.1 (i.e. 6.1 or 7.1) then yes, you will have to add an amp in the future. It would be very easy to add an amp down the road...it just depends on how much you want to spend and how much room you have. Obviously, another amp will take up more room in your A/V rack. As for prices of power amps...the sky is the limit really. You could probably find something used or on ebay for $100-$200...or you can spend thousands...I have seen 2 channel power amps that cost over $3000 a piece...and I am sure there are others that are even more that that...it just depends on what you want to get. You can get a 2 channel NAD power amp anywhere from $350 to $1600.

Then you have to ask yourself..."do I really needor have the room for 6.1 or 7.1"?

Good luck, and please let us know what you decide on!

Bronze Member
Username: Smitty

Canada

Post Number: 31
Christopher,

Neither the T742 nor T743 support 6.1/7.1 even with an additional power amp. The T752 is the receiver that supports this capability. I'm not clear if you're comparing the T742 or T752 to the T743.

If the T743 did support 7.1, even through the use of an additonal amp, I would say go for it. As it stands you'll pay an extra $200 for OSD, better remote, adjustable crossover, reassignable digital inputs & main-amp inputs. A tougher decision.

Post Number: 5
Johnny,

I meant to say the T752 in comparison instead of the T743. I appreciate your quick response!

Post Number: 6
Yeah Smitty,

I'm trying to compare the 742 and 752? Can you tell I'm new to this. I found them priced $200 different and I'm having trouble deciding which ones gonna make me the happiest!! Thanks

Silver Member

Missouri

Post Number: 214
Christopher,

No problem...with all the numbers, it is very confusing sometimes. I probably wasn't very clear in my response either. Obviously, in my discussion of additional power amps...I was talking about the T752 (since the 743 nor 742 allow for 6.1 or 7.1)...although I neglected to ever say that. I appologize for any confusion on my part as well. At least I knew what I was trying to say (even if no one else did)...that is more than I can usually claim. :-)

If you want upgradability...go for the 752..provided that you can afford it of course. In this case (between the 742 and 752), $200 can get you quite a bit.

Bronze Member
Username: Gatt767

Malta

Post Number: 15
I think I would stay away from the T742, as its based on the T751, a very unflexible receiver. If you want flexibility in custimasation, example the option to arrange the bass crossover, presets, labelling, good connectivity but staying stuck with 5.1 go to the T743. If you want all the features of the T743 but with the option to upgrade to 7.1 by adding at a later stage a power AMP then choos the T752.

Bronze Member
Username: Smitty

Canada

Post Number: 32
Christopher,

I have the 742 and am very happy with it. In my case I had the same decision to make but the 752 was $350 more. The price was the main decision-maker for me. The firmware-related problems with the 752 scared me off a bit. It's all anecdotal evidence but I get the sense the 742 has had less problems than the 752. The fixed 80Hz crossover and lack of 6.1 upgradibility on the 742 are the main deal-breakers that I see. Power-wise I have high-efficiency speakers (95dB) so the 742 is plenty.

Bronze Member
Username: Two_cents

Post Number: 59
Take it from a cheapo, it's worth the extra $$$ to get either a 743 or 752 depending on your needs. R Gatt in the previous post gives a nice summary of the reason why. The 743 adds to the 742 many of the important features found on the 752 including bass management, OSD, component video switching, and a learning remote, which I find to be awesome. I use it to control the tv, dvd player and cable box. There was a recent thread comparing the 743 and the 752. I don't think anyone answered the question about whether a separate amp is required for the subwoofer. The answer is no for all of the receivers you're considering as long as you use an active subwoofer (one with a built-in amp).

Silver Member

Missouri

Post Number: 216
I agree with all of you...the differences in the 743 and 752 are minimal from a features standpoint...except of course the seven channel preouts of the 752 versus the 5 of the 743. It makes the decision difficult. However, if I read it right (it was admittedly confusing), the original author of the thread was trying to compare the 742 and 752. The differences between these two receivers are much more pronounced.

Silver Member

Missouri

Post Number: 217
Great discussion though. NAD needs some sort of chart that lists the differences between their receivers. Other brands have this and it is quite convenient. Maybe NAD has one too...but I have never seen one.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 61
Johnny,

Why do we need factual charts when we can have an opinionated discussion here? Okay I'm being a little facetious. Facts are good, but opinions are more fun.

I think I understood the original author's question. The differences between the 742 and 752 in price and features are significant. IMO the extra features are definitely worth stretching your budget. The differences between the 743 and the 752 in price and features are not as great, which makes it a harder decision to choose between the two.

Bronze Member
Username: Goose

Post Number: 86
I came to the conclusion, when I was researching receivers, that the NAD numbers more or less follow a trickle-down system. There are changes of some specs along the way, but the T742 is fundamentally a T751, and the T743 is fundamentally a T752. The devil is is the details, of course. For example, the 752 has 6.1/7.1 expandability, but the T743 has A/B speaker switching. It all depends on what matters most to you.

I suggest that you go to the NAD website and download the relevant manuals and compare their specs and operation.

Silver Member

Missouri

Post Number: 220
$.02,

I agree...opinions are much more interesting and fun. However, when trying to compare features of two similar receivers, I think a chart would be helpful. When I was shopping for my current receiver, I went to a dealer that carried Denon. As I was leaving, the dealer handed me a nice one page chart that had all of Denon's models listed along with all of the features that each did or did not have. That way I could see exactly what extra money is going for. It was very informative. Maybe NAD dealers have one of these also?

Admittedly, looking at a chart won't give the friendly banter present on this forum.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 62
Johnny, I agree with you a 100%. I would just add...

The irony is that even after comparing all the features, features-price ratios, etc. of the models you like, it ends up being a subjective decision. How does it sound? Is it going to make you feel good about buying it? It seems that a lot of folks who come to this forum seeking advise are almost asking, "What should I buy?" They can get all the facts about the products on other sites. But even after comparing all the features I think a lot of people have a hard time deciding on a piece of equipment. (I know I do.) So they come here asking for subjective validation of a product. Shouldn't it be as simple as going to a store and listening to the stuff and getting the one that sounds the best? It seems that a lot folks feel better about getting something that others agree is the sh*t. We're kind of an a/v support group. But it's all good and fun. Well, that's my $0.02 anyway.

Silver Member

Missouri

Post Number: 221
$.02,

Well said. I think we can all agree that buying electronics is MUCH more than just numbers and facts...but knowing those things can HELP you figure out what will best meet your needs.

By the way...what type of speaker should I buy...bipolar or direct?

I have also wondered many times whether a bipolar speaker spends much time in the shrink's office?

:-)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 64
Johnny,

Got a good laugh from that one! My father is a shrink and he favors direct speakers btw.

Post Number: 7
Guys,
I don't know what I would do if I hadn't found this site. I appreciate each and every one of your comments. I'm really looking forward to hearing the system Johnny recommended with the PSB's sometime next week. I just hope that It will be a problem free system! I'm gonna looking into the 743 I believe. Anyone have a ball park price on that bad boy? Also two cents answered a question I had consistenly been wondering. If I get a sub with a power amp built in later on down the road, I could choose from any receiver. Is this right guys?

Bronze Member
Username: Landroval

Post Number: 52
Christopher: Most subwoofers are active so there will always be a power amp integrated in the box. Passive subwoofers are gone from this normal consumer market. Also there is almost no receiver with built in power amp for sub, I've seen maybe one or two in the last five years.

Silver Member

Missouri

Post Number: 223
Christopher,

The NAD T743 retails for $699. The best discount that you can realistically expect is about 20%...dropping the price to about $560.

I think I probably suggested this somewhere along the line already, but check out the following places. Neither of them takes internet orders, so you would have to call to find exact prices. Both are authorized NAD dealers...so you can rest assured that any problems you might have will be taken care of with the warranty (although you more than likely will have no problems anyway).

1. www.saturdayaudio.com Ask for Andy, he is the owner.

2. www.kiefs.com Ask for Ed, he is one of the sales managers.

Good luck...I look forward to reading a review when you get everything set up.

Bronze Member
Username: Dmeister

Post Number: 79
I can personally vouch for Saturday Audio. I was very pleased with their prices, delivery, and customer service.

Bronze Member
Username: Sssand2

Post Number: 20
Christopher,
One point that has not been made in the difference between the 742, 743, and 752 is that the 42 and 43 are 5x50w whereas the 52 is 5x80w. A quick look at the NAD web site gives me the impression that the 752 is the more versatile of the 3 and would be something you could stay with for a long time, if it is in your budget.
If you would consider refurb, DMC-Electronics has a good deal on the 752 https://dmc-electronics.com/Default.htm. I personally own the 742 which was within my budget. However, while listening to some Paradigm and PSB speakers at a delaers I had a chance to hear a comparison of the T743 and the T763 with the same speakers in the same setup and I was surprised that I could actually hear a difference. The 743 sounded thinner and brighter compared to the 763. I would suppose a similar difference would be heard between the 43 and the 52. Both sounded better to me than a Yamaha 1400 that we used briefly in the demo. If you have a chance, listen to both.

Bronze Member
Username: W9cw

Post Number: 19
Andy Zimmerman, owner of Saturday Audio, is a great guy, and will answer any questions you may have in a honest fashion. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend his store for any purchases, NAD or other products he carries. And, if your not pleased with the product, he will accept the return, and ensure that you are pleased. Great company . . . I wish all "salon type" hi-fi shops were like them.

Bronze Member
Username: Gatt767

Malta

Post Number: 17
If you can't afford the T752, then your best bet is the T743. If you can try to extend your budget you must seriously consider the T752. The power supply, covered processing formats, the option to upgrade at a later stage, will surely be more fruitfull at a later stage

Silver Member
Username: John_a

Post Number: 456
Christopher,

If I may comment, you have received good advice all round, in my opinion. But you mention a "modest" system. I am very sceptical about the benefit of more channels than 5.1, and I am sure each additional channel adds a lot to the cost of AV receivers, not to mention the extra speaker you need to play it. It's a case of "creeping feature-itis". Some people must by now be feeling bad that they "only" have 6.1, yet the discs and recording formats have stablised on 5.1 and this does not look set to change. And if it is pure sound quality you are after, DVD-Audio (my current obsession) is 5.1, maximum, and there is absolutely no benefit in adding virtual or "Matrixed" extra channels.

So, in your place, I would be happy to get a T742. I have read only very good things here about that receiver. Especially if it meant the saving could go on a decent powered sub. Or even more important, a better source, that is, the player. It's been true ever since LPs - if you put "garbage in", then the best amplifier and speakers in the world can only give only give "garbage out".

The T742 is a high-class machine and has 5.1 pre-amp inputs AND outputs. The External 5.1 input is essential for DVD-Audio (I am soon going to get very boring about DVD-Audio, I fear).

The good points Johnny mentions about the T743 that might swing it, for me, are stereo speakers A and B; and the remote, which is excellent, and will control everything. But you can buy the HTR-2 remote separately (I did), it is not so expensive.

Post Number: 8
John A.

You make a very convincing argument! I believe I was in the initial stages of feature-itis. Thanks for saving me! In all honesty I am still looking for a modest home theater. Yes I want it to sound great, however, what sounds great to me may sound just all wrong to someone else. Guys you have to know this is all new to me. I've been using the tv speakers for over 2 years, and I feel like it sounds good. I think regardless of what I decide I will be satisfied with it. The t742/t743 fits much better in my budget as I don't see myself ever needing the ability to upgrade at a later time. The t743 has the upgrades I like and I could afford better speakers.I would also like to upgrade the dvd player which just keeps bringing the cost up. Anyway, does anyone see any problems with the NAD/PSB Image combo? Do you think the t743 would push the 5t or should I stick to the 4t as my towers. I'm planning on piecing it together so either will fit in the budget! Thanks guys!!

Silver Member

Post Number: 462
Christopher,

I am not familiar with PSB speakers, but others here are; Johnny for one.

You should also remember that an NAD Watt is a real Watt, not an opportunity for spin doctors to hype paper specs, and thereby close a sale. 5 x 50 W doesn't look good on paper, but, in real measurements and listening, the T742/3 guns other amps, nominally rated at 5 x 110 W.

I do not have shares, and really don't mind what you buy, but take a look at NAD power.

Silver Member

Missouri

Post Number: 231
Christopher,

The NAD T743 will have NO problems with either the 4T or 5T. Like John says, 50w x 5 doesn't look all that great, but when it says it gets 50 watts, believe it. It will have MUCH more power than almost any other brand rated at 50 watts, and will likely have much more power than other receivers rated much higher...like John says.

The 4T and 5T have nearly identical sensitivities and power requirements...so both will take roughly the same amount of power to be "pushed". You won't have any problems at all with the NAD/PSB combo.

My advice has always been go with what you can afford. If you can afford the step up to the 5T, then go for it. However, don't do this at the sacrifice of something else as either will suit you fine I am sure.

Silver Member

Post Number: 481
Christopher,

Johnny is right. Also, I think "Sem" has a T742 with PSBs (can't recall the model), and he is a shrewd guy who rates the combo very highly.

Brief but vital comment. Budget for a DVD-Audio player. Anything about numbers of channels, power, and features on receivers is as nothing compared to DVD-A. It is the biggest thing since stereophony.

I have just got an NAD T533. I am almost at the point of stopping strangers in the street. I don't mind if the men in white coats appear, as long as they will stop and listen, first. Then they'll leave me alone, I swear it.

Bronze Member
Username: Sem

Post Number: 28
John A. wrote: "Also, I think "Sem" has a T742 with PSBs (can't recall the model), and he is a shrewd guy who rates the combo very highly."

Shrewd, I like that!! Actually I have the T742 matched with PSB 4Ts, 1Bs, and 8C. The sound is really great compared to what I was used to. Its actually made me revisit a lot of my older cds that I hadn't listened to in a while. This combo breathes new life into them. Shrewd, eh? ;-)

Silver Member

Post Number: 491
Sem,

I thought you would be well placed to advise Christopher.

"Shrewd" - Well, I've read some of your posts. See, for example, Marketing study of receivers market!!!

No-one's picked me up there on the "Campbell's Soup" market sector. Let me tell you, you are not in it, and neither am I.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us