Sound Character Comparison: Cambridge, NAD, Rotel, etc?

Username: Untukdownload

Post Number: 2
Hi, can anyone explain to me the differences of the sound among the stereo amplifier Cambridge Azur 540A/640A, NAD C-352CT, or any other popular amplifier in the same grade?

I want to replace the receiver of my micro system Yamaha MCR-E600 since I am unsatisfied with the musical sound. Some frequencies in mid are just too loud, depress other tones. It happens in almost all kind of music, regardless the bass/treble setting. I think the speaker is OK since I read a lot that Yamaha compact speaker is good enough.

I want to make sure that the replacing amplifier will match the existing speaker. I like to hear any kind of music, especially pop, jazz & classic. My problem is there are a lot of good reviews on Cambridge Azur 540A/640A, NAD C-352CT, Rotel, Arcam, or other but I am not sure which one to choose?

I think any opinion about the musical character of those amplifiers will help me in choosing. Of course I will hear the sound myself but listening only a few song during demo is very critical without second opinion from people who know the amplifier. I like my system during the demo (using my CD) but then hearing it for hours makes me fatigue.

Thanks.

Joe K.
Unregistered guest
I bought an MCR E600 earlier this year for the master bedroom (hence it's not my primary system). I've been pleased, haven't noticed any problems. Do you have a subwoofer? Makes a huge difference, esp. w/ a mini system. That would be my first suggestion for improving the system. Replacing the receiver effectively means you spent $400 for a DVD player and 2 speakers. The receiver actually uses pretty high-quality internal components - peer through cooling vents on top and you'll see large block capacitors and an extruded heat sink. Contrary to your suggestion, Yamaha compact spkrs are rather mediocre, and are definitely the achilles heel in this system. If you're bent on replacing the receiver or the spkrs you should opt for the spkrs. Athena, Paradigm offer great value.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us