Speakers and my wife

jmacinlr
Unregistered guest
I'm appeasing my wife and selling my Polk Audio RM2300 satellite speakers and Psw350 subwoofer. It looks like bookshelf speakers (she hates speakers/subwoofers on the floor) are my only option, unless anybody has other ideas. I've budgeted $500-1000. I use an Onkyo TX-SR601 receiver and listen to blues, jazz and reggae. I also enjoy using my speakers for sporting events and movies. What speakers do you recommend that don't take up a lot of space, but give me the most bang for my buck? Thanks

Silver Member
Username: Thx_3417

Post Number: 897
Upload

jmacinlr

Well for starters the wife takes up too much room, there is however in-wall speakers, or you can keep what you have and build a baffle wall up front and place the speakers flush within it, including the TV monitor sub bass as well.

Plasterboard doesn't cost much and this will be a cheaper option, as for the other loudspeakers re-place them with in-wall models.

And if that doesn't suit her sale her instead....that's a joke....

http://www.mksound.com/inwall.php
Upload

jmacinlr
Unregistered guest
Hello Andy,

Do you have a pair of speakers you'd be willing to trade for my wife and a large amount of cash? I'll even pay for delivery. Just kidding...sort of.

Unfortunately, our house isn't built for in-wall or satellite speakers(i was clueless at the time and have learned my lesson). I've had 2 local audio companies come out and both said the same thing; no drop in the wall upstairs for cords and it's built on a slab, so no crawl space. Believe me, I"ll be ready next time.

Any other ideas, or is bookshelf it? If this matters, I also plan on buying a 36"-42" HDTV within the next 6 months (tv is where I draw the line). Thanks for the help.

Silver Member

Post Number: 901
Upload

Jmacinlr,

What about the baffle-wall that's easy peasy, and like I said plasterboard doesn't cost much, and it will take up as much as 16" to 18" inches of front space, and with it all looking flush, if you looked at it twice you wouldn't kwon it was there?

Talk to close friend about this, firstly talk to your wife about the idea, it really doesn't cost much, it just a case of doing it and making it look as if its part of the room....

jmacinlr
Unregistered guest
I showed her your idea, and she rolled her eyes on kept on walking. Good idea though.

Silver Member

Post Number: 903
Upload

Jmacinlr

Are you sure don't, what to trade her in, how much did you say.....

Just Kidding, come on it's the quickest and the easiest solution.

Please, please it's a good idea an d affordable, please I want to build the baffle wall please.....
Upload

Well can't say I've tried though.....

Silver Member
Username: Shahrukhd

Mumbai, Maharashtra India

Post Number: 112
Some might scoff at this one but has anyone given foto-frame speakers a shot. Wharfedale's flat panel NXT spkrs sound "decent" and have achieved the "well, alright" from many a wife.

Silver Member
Username: Cheapskate

Post Number: 253
why is it women hate speakers so much? why?

reason number 275 that i'm glad i'm not married.

there's NO WAY i'll ever give up my hi-fi system.

"the wife is taking too much space up"... HYSTERICAL! thanks for the laugh.

i've seen "spousal appeal" brought up in so many speaker reviews it isn't even funny.

women just hate things that are PRACTICAL and that serve a purpose. that has to be it.

Bronze Member
Username: Monolgoue

Post Number: 82
The Orb Audio speakers are the best Wife Acceptance Factor speakers out there. For $999 you can get the People's Choice, which is their Mod2 speakers in the front and Mod1 in the rear. They just got a great writeup in Home Theater mag although I don't see it copied on the Orb or HT mag websites yet.

Gold Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 2031
I think you need to draw the line with anything that envolves HT. Buy whatever 'you' desire for your home theater, and offer her the opportunity to decorate once you've finished setting everything up.

Bronze Member
Username: Divin11112000

Michigan

Post Number: 44
My .02 is to tell the wife the ring on her hand is too big your going to take it back and trade it in for something that doesn't take up too much space. When she throw's that idea out the window, tell her guess the speakers stay also.

Bronze Member
Username: Rikmeister

Hometown, Pa Usa

Post Number: 38
i would show her gallo speakers they look like art work. they should win her over but will be costly.

Silver Member
Username: Shahrukhd

Mumbai, Maharashtra India

Post Number: 113
Are Anthony Gallos really that good? Never heard em'.

Silver Member

Post Number: 960
"Anthony Gallos" sounds like a France nail varnish!

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 1616
jmac,

Look at the Athena AS-B1s and (if you want more bass response) AS-B2s from audioadvisor.com that are going for just $100 and $150 a pair respectively.

Kinda sucks that she won't allow you to have a sub though.

Silver Member

Post Number: 963
Upload

-Translation-
There's no way you are keep this sub bass, no way....

Yeah looks like the wife must go!

Silver Member
Username: Stu_pitt

NYC, NY

Post Number: 440
jmacinlr -
the way I got around the wife acceptance factor completely - I put my stereo and everything else that she hated - hated may be harsh, she didn't try to force anything, she's very accepting - in the attic. I now have a game room that has 2 lazy boy recliner chairs, a 36" widescreen tv, PS2, and all of the bar memorabilia that I stole in college. My collection is quite extensive - lights, mirrors, a bar stool, blow up animals, etc. These things would have never gotten their way into our living room in a million years.

When we got the apartment, I made a deal with her before she knew what hit her. I said I could get the attic, and she could have the rest of the house. This worked out even better than I imagined because now I don't have to give any input as to which curtains, rugs, couches, etc. would look good. I say "is it going in the attic or downstairs? Downstairs is your department." Works like a charm. Add to this that she doesn't like hanging around up there, and it's like the clubhouse we all wanted when we were kids.

If you've got a room that can be used - attic, basement, spare room, etc - this would take away so many headaches. Why shouldn't you have at least one room where you can have whatever you want to have? Screw the guests. If they don't like it, they can get a hotel room. If there's too much crap in the basement, get rid of it. If you're not using it, what good is it?

I may sound a little harsh and Paul like (please forgive me). I know you have to make compromises because you're not the only one that lives there, pays the bills, etc. But you should have some say in what you can and can't have in the house. If you don't have an extra room, point out some things that you don't like around the house (make some up if you have to). Explain very nicely that she has some stuff you don't like, and you compromised.

Silver Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 258
Andy brother where do you come up with these graphics? I am still laughing 5 minutes later. Thanks for brightening up my day.

My Arabic is very rusty, but the smirk on that dude's face as he is about to check out tells you all you need to know.

Silver Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 787
jm

Have a look at Totem Arro speakers. A lot of the ladies like the look of them because they're so dinky and discreet, although they are floorstanders. Great speaker though...

Regards,
Frank.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2055
No doubt Stu,
My wife has free reign in my home to do whatever, and buy anything she wants. However, the media department is mine. Marriage is a two way street, and no single person gets 100% control over a home we both own.

I think it's all in how you approach it. I think those with WAF problems dont think long enough to remove their skirt and stand up for their own needs in the relationship. I think they play the role of subordinates in the relationship, and they probabably approach their spouses all hunched over and whiny begging for permission as if they're being naughty by doing so.

If they would simply rise up to being equals, and tell their wives what the need and want, no reasonable woman would deny her hubby. I mean c'mon....she doesnt own 100% of the home, and nor should she have 100% control over the contents. I cant believe a partner exists who would demand total control. I have little respect for those men who are so wishy-washy that they cant even be man enough to get a simple pleasure in their own home.

Its only an issue, if you make it one. If a loving husband can afford, and wants a 65" TV with surround sound, what unreasonable witch would deprive her loving hubby of a singular and simple pleasure in his own home?? I just cant fathom it.

Afterall, isnt the mans home, 'his' castle?? Apparently not, in many cases and those only have themselves to blame.

Silver Member

Post Number: 985
Upload
AND LEAST OF ALL, KEEP THE SUB BASS......

Bronze Member
Username: Brittho

Frisco, TX USA

Post Number: 71
Frank is correct the Arro's have a very high female attraction. Mine also has liked anything that is narrow and that can be placed in the room without the need to "toe-in" for the best sound. I am now dealing with her not liking the NAD stuff that we are looking at. "It's so drab and boring...". Her favorite receiver/integrated amp so far is the Rotel 1052 and the Arcam Solo. The female vote when you are married is important and I really want her to love the sound as well as the aesthetics. Sooo I compromise the need for NAD. The way that I look at it is that I already am way ahead of most fellas in that I am looking at HIFI gear. Most fellas never even receive the opportunity to look at anything beyond a purchase at Best Buy or Circuit City. Heck some guys can't even get past using a boombox around the house for music.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2063
My wife doesnt get a vote since she knows nothing on the subject. She'd be content with a 26" 4:3 TV and no surround sound if it were up to her. So long as she can lay in bed and watch the late evening Oprah broadcast, she's fine.....HEH

Bronze Member

Frisco, TX USA

Post Number: 74
My wife is a rather rare find for most guys. We both enjoy allot of the same stuff. We have been together for 12 years and 10 of those are married ones. So allot of the similar interests are learned ones. We both dig cars as well as music. It is an ebb and flow kind of understanding. If I don't allow for input on intersts that are mainly on my side of the fence then why would I expect for her to ask for mine when she has a decorating question. For example nothing in my house has a floral print on it. Nothing looks girly. If I were left with everything in this house tomorrow without a family I could feel comfortable with my surroundings without a problem. This is due to the fact that she included me on the buying decisions for nearly every stick of furniture in the place. We compromised on different pieces and have a home that we are both comfortable in. The same goes with electronics when they are displayed in the main family room. Whatever I buy will likely be placed on a table top at one point when we can afford that plasma screen to be hung on the den wall. (dreaming...) The receiver and CDP as well as the DVD player will all be set up on a table top along with other stuff so it needs to be pleasing to her from a decorating point of view.

Hey Paul,

The salesman accidentally knocked over the Arro's recently in his store becasue he did not have them weighed down. hehe...oh well they are offering a $200.00 discount on the floor models now because they are chipped on the side. ROFL...

Gold Member

Post Number: 2071
Britt,
I agree....
If she shares the audio bug with you, she should be involved in the purchase.

As for the Arro's......??

I can see him now grabbing furiously at air as the speaker falls and screaming...."Son of Aaaaaah...that's gonna leave a mark!"

Bronze Member
Username: Rikmeister

Hometown, Pa Usa

Post Number: 39
also look at quads they have one of the finest finishes you can imagine real wood. she may like them and great deals on them now you can get the 21L for 890.00 and the center is 360.00

Bronze Member

Frisco, TX USA

Post Number: 77
Paul,

Have you heard any of the more affordable Totem florstanding speakers? Such as the Arro's, Hawk or the Forest? For a room that is about 12X18 the Arro's would fill the room with a great sound but it would not be anything that would rattle the windows. The speakers that I will getting rid of soon could rattle the dishes in the kitchen and make all kinds of noise. But when it comes to taking me to sitting in on a jam session with SRV or BB King then the need for something that can provide the true soundstage is needed. With the Arro's it is not about POWER it is about freaky imaging and the fact that if you close your eyes you can place the musicians in the room without even trying. That to me is just amazing and is worth my vote on a job well done by Vince and his gang.

Silver Member
Username: Diablo

Fylde Coast, England

Post Number: 217
jmacinlr,

I have been wondering about suggesting speakers which look more like furniture than techie stuff, but couldn't seem to think of any within the price range. But RIK's suggestion "also look at quads they have one of the finest finishes you can imagine real wood" may be worth considering.

If you put some pot plants (or should I say, plants in pots, to be clearer), especially those with trailing leaves, on top of them, then they will enhance the appearance of any room.

This plan wll fail of course. The real reason why women don't like big speakers is that they know that their nagging won't come through as clearly.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1029
How about a "cactus" plant, they only need feeding once every two weeks or so!

Upload

Silver Member

Post Number: 260
i'll NEVER give my stereo or hemp (actually been a long time since i indulged in that, but it HAS come up from two TOACCO JUNKIES!) up to appease any woman. those things were my friends long before she was!

it's just like that old "either i go or the dog goes" thing... sorry miss... you gotta go!

even when you AREN'T married... women think they can start telling you what to do. man do i like coming and going as i please!

you'll have to take my sound system out of my cold dead hands miss! LOL there are only TWO things in life that really give me pleasure... i'll be danged if i'll surrender them to make anyone happy.

Username: Matt1234

Post Number: 6
WAF?! Ugh! How do you guys put up with this? Now there is definitely one thing for sure: when I get a full-time job and move out on my own, I am most certainly going to try really hard to avoid getting married!

Gold Member

Post Number: 1066
Matt,

Yeah like drinking a teaspoon of draino, sure it will clean her out but will make your life's hollowness and grim, for many years................

Silver Member
Username: T_bomb25

Dayton, Ohio United States

Post Number: 754
Im actually a dictator when it comes to my audio gear,but when I first met my wife early in our relationship we went and heard the Legacys Focus & Whisper at a show and she loved them,from that point on I knew I hit the jackpot with her.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1073
Tawaun,

Arr that's sweet, and hear Tawaun, hears a short verse....

#..Of the way we where
#..Memories
#..Like the corners of my mind
#..Misty water-coloured memories
#..Of the way we where
#.. Scattered pictures
#.. Of the smiles we left behind
#..Smiles we gave
#..To one another
#..Of the way
#.. We where
(Dramatically) # Can it be that is was all so simple then?

Silver Member

NYC, NY

Post Number: 445
Matt -

"Now there is definitely one thing for sure: when I get a full-time job and move out on my own, I am most certainly going to try really hard to avoid getting married!"

George Costanza? Is that you?

or...

It's time to stop playing Magic: The Gathering, Dungeons & Dragons, Pokemon, or any other idiotic fantasy loser game you may think is cool and move out of your parent's basement...

or...

You're g a y... Not that there's anything wrong with that. Instead of a Wife Acceptance Factor, you'll have a Partner Acceptance Factor. Most g a y guys I know are hung up on decorating. Do you really think your partner's going to allow just any speaker into the house?

Think about it...

Sorry for the spacing in g a y, that's the only way it would let me post it.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2113
You forgot one more.

or...

he's a kid and lives at home where he belongs.

Silver Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 803
Domestic harmony is always about give and take. Nothing is so important to me as my happiness, but making my wife happy makes me happy, and when my wife is unhappy I'm miserable. Therefore, I consider her needs as well as my own when it comes to any purchase. I think this is only natural. She does the same for me. In fact she lived with arguably one of the ugliest pair of speakers you can find (Audio Note AN-E) for around 10 years before she actually started complaining about their imposing monolith appearance. Even then, she was prepared to live with them and this was because unless I replaced them with something I considered better, she knew I'd be miserable...which would make her miserable.

I have the final say with the HiFi, but her say is most important to me. It's not subjugation, it's courtesy.

Regards,
Frank.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1655
Frank,

spoken like a true scholar/gentleman!

Silver Member
Username: Dakulis

Spokane, Washington United States

Post Number: 456
Frank,

Ditto what Edster said.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 3652
quote:
WAF?! Ugh! How do you guys put up with this? Now there is definitely one thing for sure: when I get a full-time job and move out on my own, I am most certainly going to try really hard to avoid getting married!

Matt my young boy, you are 20 years old and still living with your parents. Weren't you the one who was asking for tips on how to convince your parents to "let you have a TV" in your room.

:-)

Gold Member

Post Number: 2169
LOL

Ya gotta hate PAF.

Unfortunately for Matt, they pay the bills and put a roof over his head, so he'll have to do as he's told.

Silver Member

Post Number: 814
Matt looks like you better get married buddy,you may have a better chance at having your own room,Matt it is really what kind of guy are you and what kind of woman do want thats what it comes down to,now if you want another mom then not mutch is gonna change from your situation with your parents now,but if your a man thats takes charge and calls on her when you need her and vice versa and you have similar interest, then you will be fine.I always care how my wife feels about what Im buying,but if she dissagrees thats still not the final decision,that falls on my side of the bed,hopefully she agrees but if doesent,im sorry I love you honey but thats to bad,but fortunately that has never happened.Im the only one that touches my main system she has her liscense to opperate that one,but my main system is off limits to her and anybody else.

Silver Member

Post Number: 285
sorry... but being married DOES have it's drawbacks. 1st off... remember... 50% of marriages fail in just 3 years!

that's a FACT.

second, yes, marriages ARE give and take, and in my experiences, women want to TAKE IT ALL!

like i said... there's only TWO things that really give me pleasure... hi-fi and hemp. ANY woman that would try to rob me of the ONLY things that i enjoy in life besides her is an EVIL TYRANT AND UNWORTHY OF MY AFFECTIONS!

the TWO females i dated that were most interested in marriage were tobacco JUNKIES that wanted ME to give up non-addictive hemp while they suck on their stinky crack sticks!

no way hoochie! hit the freakin' road!

i'm more than happy NOT being on any tyrant's leash.
freedom = happiness.
surrendering freedom = castration.

hollow this!

i'll NEVER surrender MY happiness to make some other self centered person happy EVER! i DESPISE self centered people. i'll fight them ALL with every last breath as long as i draw it.

there are only two things in my life that give me plesure. you'll have to kill me to make me give them up! some people LIKE to be controlled. forget that noise!

man do i wish i had a doobie! it's been too darn long by now. LOL it's too bad that hemp isn't as easy to locate without BS as it used to be.

ANY woman that would try to rob me of that pleasure is an evil selfish useless HAG! i've got better things to do with my time than to be owned by anyone. BOTH women that tried to dig their hooks into me and take my pleasures away repulsed me! drop dead hypocrytical witches! good freakin' riddance!

i USED to want marriage more than anything, but now i see that it's more trouble than it's worth. i would NEVER try to take any pleasure away from a woman ever. if she enjoyed being promiscuous... no need to take THAT away... she just isn't worth the effort to begin with. instead of trying to get a tobaco junkie to quit... i'd rather not deal with her to begin with.

i pity anyone that gives their free will up. i'd rather die than do that! i'm more than happy in my stress free environment. don't knock it if you don't live it. i DON'T want anyone to mess with my space EVER.

the very fact that a woman woul try to deprive me of my pleasures automatically makes her a waste of time. if there's any problem, it's getting rid of such wastes of time that try and try to drag you down with them.

*shudder*

i've NEVER met a truly WORTHY woman EVER.

i sure have met alot of two faced women. even more women that can't respect a guy that respects them. and more than enough clingy insecure fatal attractions to last a lifetime.

my stereo and my bong have NEVER done wrong by me. try to get between us... and you have a life and death struggle on your hands.

Anonnn
Unregistered guest
hey budget-mindless. for someone who hates self centered people, you sure talk about nothing but "ME" and "I". must really be pleasurable to satisfy no one but you self. yes,just take your stereo and take pride in your hemp and self gratification ya selfish buffoon.lol

Gold Member

Post Number: 2213
lol budget...

Spoken like a stupid pothead kid who's never been married.

Silver Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 822
Wow bm, you have issues, seriously...

If you don't get where I'm coming from, try reading your post from the point of view of someone who doesn't know you.

Regards,
Frank.

Silver Member

NYC, NY

Post Number: 453
Hemp isn't addictive? Maybe not physiologically, but do we need more proof that psychological addiction to it exists? You won't give it up for anyone or anything...

I think you need professional help. I'm not trying to be funny here at all. There is more to life than getting stoned and listening to music.

Married people don't give up their free will. It may seem like that at times, and some people have overbearing spouses. This doesn't mean that everyone does, and you will too. One thing I've noticed in my 3 years of marriage (not that I'm an expert by any means) is that the good times are 100 times better, and the bad times aren't half as bad as they would have been had my wife not been there for me.

You will never experience any of this because your habits are far more important than sharing your life with someone else.

Silver Member

NYC, NY

Post Number: 454
"i've NEVER met a truly WORTHY woman EVER"

What is a truly worthy woman? One that will sit there and watch you get stoned all day and never complain about it? I thought a truly worthy woman is one who would help you rather than enable self destructive habits.

"my stereo and my bong have NEVER done wrong by me. try to get between us... and you have a life and death struggle on your hands."

With this mentallity, its no wonder any woman worth having doesn't want to be bothered with you. They know they will always come in third place. I'm pretty sure any respectable woman you've ever met has been completely turned off by your habits and wants nothing to do with you.

There is more to life than weed and stereos. The sooner you realize that, the better off you will be.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1783
yo, I had no idea B-M was such a trip!

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1570
Yikes! You'll grow up. It's ok BM, when you put the bong down and your head clears you'll see the light.

Unregistered guest
I have two suggestions.

You can cut channels in the concrete foundation for wiring. It is relatively inexpensive and makes for a really clean, uncluttered look.

As for good bookshelf speakers, I was truly impressed with the Klipsch RB series. the 75 is the ultimate but all of them would be a nice addition and go well with lower power receivers.(Sounds like separates are not part of your wife's vocabulary).

By the way, I put down Vermont Maple laminate flooring after pulling the carpets up and that went a long way in getting approval for my HT system. The new curtains and furniture helped a great deal too.

One last note. A good remote that the wife could easily operate made a HUGE difference in getting the system that I wanted approved. The Logitech Harmony 688 or similiar really made the whole project possible (from a WAF point of view).

Good Luck

Gold Member

Post Number: 2215
It's only fitting that Budget is one of those druggie punk kids. He probably wears his britches funny too and dresses like a bum.

"Hey, look at me, my pants are falling down......."

Sincerely,
Punk Kid(Budget)

Anonymous

is that BM for bowel movement LOL

Bronze Member
Username: Frostyda9

Calgary, AB Canada

Post Number: 48
lol...I liked your post budget. You remind me of myself about 10 years ago. Fortunately for me, the ganja habit wore off in time, but the music obsession didn't.

As for this thread, Frank hits the nail on the head. Happy wife = happy life. That doesn't mean you have to be passive, it just means you both have to respect each other.

Posted by Paul:

~I can see him now grabbing furiously at air as the speaker falls and screaming...."Son of Aaaaaah...that's gonna leave a mark!"~

hehe...I got a laugh out of that one, only because I have that exact fear in the back of my mind... that while I'm at work the cat will knock one of mine over onto who-knows-what. I'm going shopping for about 50 pounds of ballast this long weekend ;)

Cheech Chong
Unregistered guest
No that would be "Brain on Maryjane"

Gold Member

Post Number: 2221
Either that, or you can use guidewires:-)

Silver Member
Username: Twochordcool

Post Number: 113
"why is it women hate speakers so much? why?

reason number 275 that i'm glad i'm not married.

there's NO WAY i'll ever give up my hi-fi system.

"the wife is taking too much space up"... HYSTERICAL! thanks for the laugh.

i've seen "spousal appeal" brought up in so many speaker reviews it isn't even funny"

I agree entirely - I've got to be me 100% with ZERO compromises.

A relationship comes as a close second, but I refuse to modify my behavior in any way!

At the same time I think I am quite reasonable, so that is why I feel this way!

Wife approval factor?

That IS a joke.

Don't get me wrong - no guy should be able to place something butt-ugly in a shared environment, but if it's a classy set of speakers that blend in well and sound wonderful I'd have to put up my middle finger to any arguments about them!

Silver Member

NYC, NY

Post Number: 458
What is a "...a classy set of speakers that blend in well..."? This is what just about everyone is arguing about. Some may feel 100lb behemoths like Paul's CV's fit that description, whereas others may feel the Bose Lifestyle system fits that description.

Until a company makes a speaker that EVERYONE thinks is classy and blends well, this arguement won't stop...

I'd love to see any of you who say you are the boss and have total control say that in front of your wife. I imagine you sleep on the couch on a regular basis. You're most likely trying to look good in front of others as a defense mechanism. It's ok to not be the only one in a household with an opinion. There shouldn't be any shame in that.

If I didn't respect my wife's opinion, I wouldn't have married her. If I expected her to shut up and do as she's told, she wouldn't have married me.

In summary, 99% of you guys who claim to go out and buy what you want without any regard to your wife's opinion are full of it. The ones who actually do have some serious control issues.

Then their are people like me who avoided the situation all together and put the stereo in an extra room where their is no wife acceptance factor issue. I figured that more and more people would have done this, especially when you consider how much money they have invested in their stereos, but I guess I was wrong.

Silver Member
Username: Gavincumm

Post Number: 235
totally agree stu. lucky for me, even though I am a college kid that lives with his parents during the summer (gotta give me a little break on that one...lol), that my gf as well as mother love the looks of my paradigm set up in the living room, as well as the sound quality. Must be a rarity.

For acceptance, they are a great speaker, and at a great price. The looks, and even more so, the sound are a big hit. So much so that a couple that goes to my church have purchased a paradigm monitor-based system for their new HT room instead of Bose, at my reccomendation.

You can ALWAYS find a great sounding speaker that your significant other (or parents) will enjoy. In my mother's case... when I told her that I was planning on bringing my paradigms to college, she went "don't you have computer speakers? I need something decent to listen to."

Silver Member

Post Number: 236
an addendum...

lucky for me my gf despises the sound of Bose speakers.

She listened to the AM-5, and told me she has never heard anything that painful to listen to. Sarah Brightman was playing, and the vocals were so siblant it drove us nuts.

Silver Member
Username: Twochordcool

Post Number: 115
It's quite simple really - I don't think it's a bit unreasonable to want to have some say so on the living room decor - if I want a nice stereo and WHAT I THINK are attractive speakers, then I think it's reasonable of me to expect her to decorate around them.

If she wants she can choose the color finish on the speakers, but other than that I honestly would tell her that she will have to accept them and work around them.

Look at any speaker catalog and you will see that speakers can look very attractive in a room.

I'm sorry, I just draw the line at certain things - and being told what speakers I must own simply on cosmetics, when she could really care less about how they sound, is just completely unreasonable and unacceptable.

Now, if she wants to up the budget to go higher than what I expected to pay, in order to get something that she will find cosmetically acceptable - and I will find sonically acceptable - THEN we can work together.

Otherwise, I can honestly say with a straight face, I will have a say so as far as a stereo / home theater is concerned...and she will have to work with it.

Bronze Member
Username: Margie

Napa, California

Post Number: 23

I will roll up my pant legs and wade in for anyone really wanting a smaller (?) speaker. Wheather to please a spouse or to fit on shelves, or multiples for HT, whatever, read the threads on Tims "Lings". They are beautiful to look at so the wife will be fine with them and they sound better than they look.....read the threads!

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5418

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/products/reviews/156699.html

Bronze Member
Username: Margie

Napa, California

Post Number: 24

Thanks Jan, I would have posted the link but I don't know how.

Silver Member

Post Number: 460
Yow! I don't know where to begin. BM, you have Paul making fun of you regarding your comments about control over your stereo as the expense of a wife or GF, that should tell you something about your obsession with possessions.

ACK, pot over love, my son I hope you grow up soon. Stu said it well and I don't think i can add to his sentiment. Just, you'll never know true happiness until you have someone who you truly love and who truly loves you and you take on life's highs and lows.

Margie, you obviously have the Lings, where's your link. Margie's "Fling with the Lings" or any other title you derive, we're waiting for you to ascribe. Poetic, no?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2268
My wife just decided to recarpet our 5 year old house. She had the carpet people here measuring this week, and last night I learned it will cost me $7,000. My total input into the process amounted to:"Yea honey, that color looks nice."

Do you think I'll hear one peep from her about my 'eyesore' large speakers, subwoofer, or TV??

LOL........I dont think so. Like I've said many times before, she gets a lot of flexability from me on many fronts, but the HT is mine. I'll put whatever damn speakers I want in my house, and never hear a peep from her because she knows it's important to me.(plus she knows better) Anyway, my behemoths predate her. When we got married, she had to take me and my contents......"as is".
HEH

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5423

P.I.S.S. 7

Silver Member

Post Number: 466
Paul,

Nice carpet I guess. OK, now is the time to strike. Lose the Bose, at least. Call Ascend, Axiom, Epos or someone and try their speakers for your surrounds. If you say "yes", Jan will give you a P.I.S.S. of 1, maybe negative 3 even.

Silver Member

Post Number: 870
I doubt that would happen David,thats like asking a snake not to crawl.Paul would never invest more into what he calls petite halfpints,than his beloved dumptruck sized CVs,thats against his religion,he is perfectly content with the mediore sound that he has.

Bronze Member

Calgary, AB Canada

Post Number: 53
You know, you guys can be pretty condescending. Not that Paul doesn't bring it on himself, but there's a line here somewhere. If he likes CV's so be it. The thing that bugs me is that I guarantee some of the people that jump on the bashing bandwagon have never even seriously listened to a set.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2270
Frosty,
When you think about it, it's pretty darned funny. Imagine the stupidity of those who would comment on the quality of a speaker they've never heard.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5432

"Imagine the stupidity of those who would comment on the quality of a speaker they've never heard."

If that was meant as a joke: P.I.S.S. 3

If you were honestly serious about that: P.I.S.S. 150

Frosty - I hestitate to post this since it will turn into another thread about Paul ... but ... there is no way to seriously listen to a pair of CV's. That is not their intention when they design (?) the CV line. That's like asking if anyone has ever seriously listened to the jukebox in the corner tavern on Saturday night. And, for your information, I have heard far too many CV's far too many times.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5435

"Otherwise, I can honestly say with a straight face, I will have a say so as far as a stereo / home theater is concerned...and she will have to work with it."

Have you announced this to her yet?

How's that couch working out for sleeping? You'll be able to hear your speakers when you put them in the same room.

Is there really a "silver back" gene somewhere in that Y chromosome?

Silver Member

Post Number: 880
Frosty you have 53 posts,dont damn yourself by jumping on the Paul, CV bandwagon as Jan stated seriously listening to the CVs is not their intent and thats goes for listening to Paul to, neither requires any critical attention doing that you will miss both of thems true purpose.

Bronze Member

Calgary, AB Canada

Post Number: 54
I'm not jumping on any bandwagon. I have no desire to own CV's, but that doesn't mean I'll belittle people that do.

If there's more to the story than I am seeing here, someone please tell me. ATM, I am taking it all at face value..

Silver Member

Post Number: 886
Frosty surely you see how Paul frequently with99% of posts belittle people who have small bookshelf speakers,he was getting away with all his bogus comments about small speakers,but people have gotten tired of it and started lashing back at him.Frosty most of it is all in good fun though some others get really allianated about,as Jan stated earlier some things you cant take serious,and Paul and his comments you have to take with 2 grains of salt,Paul knows his position on this forum and he is perfectly content with being the forum clown.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5443

"If there's more to the story than I am seeing here, someone please tell me."

Paul
Gold Member

Post Number: 2,270

Apparently you've missed the last 2,269 posts.

Silver Member
Username: Jimvm

Louisiana U.S.A.

Post Number: 189
Frosty - meet Paul.

Neanderthal.jpg

His startlingly handsome face is only exceeded by his desire and propensity to annoy people.

Silver Member

Post Number: 892
Thats him,oh my god Paul you havent came very far in the last million years have you?

Bronze Member
Username: Kidstereo

Post Number: 14
Paul and Stu, are you guys trying to diss me? I have said multiple times on this forum that I do not like being personally made fun of. When people mock me, I get really steamed up. Jesus Christ, when are any of you guys going to get this through to your heads?

Paul, you said gotta hate PAF. Yes, I do hate PAF. My parents will let me get tower speakers for my room, and that, I appreciate, but the TV issue does really bother me. In fact, I complain about it to my social therapist every time I see him.

Stu, you are even worse. You said that I am g*y and spend my time playing Pokemon? YOU ARE WRONG! I am not into Pokemon. I never have been. And I am not g a y. I know better than that! I thought that this forum was friendly, but nooooooooooooo. I guess I was wrong!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
Oh, Paul, I forgot something. You said that I am at home where I belong. That I consider teasing.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
Also, guys, I cannot avoid having parents because they provide me shelter while I am still in school. However, when I move out on my own, I am going to avoid getting married, which means I will be able to do whatever I want.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 3783
quote:
"which means I will be able to do whatever I want"

Now that comment is really showing a lot of juvenile thinking, so do not get steamed up when you get made fun of:-)

And it will happen a lot until you realize that the world is run by adults and accomplished "old people". Even MTV is run by people a lot older than you.

Silver Member

Post Number: 292
first off... i haven't touched weed in at least 8 months. i'm not going through any withdrawls. heck... even when i DID smoke it every day, after a month or so, i'd get bored with it and give it up for a while. don't knock my pusuit of happiness. i'm not trying to impose it on you.

am i self cntered?

when it comes to my personal space and pleasures, yes. when it comes to what OTHERS do, NEVER. by self centered, i mean people that want to control everyone and everything around them. i'll NEVER budge an inch for anyone ever. i don't play the pecking order game... that's why MANY women have given me the "you're a nice guy but..." speech, but when someone tries to play do what i say, not what i do, with me, i WILL fight to protect my personal space.

no i don't EVER want to get married EVER. every female i've ever known has been a waste of time...

one who played "innocent" who turned out to be a retired adult film star

a couple of TOBACCO JUNKIES that tried to make me quit my non addictive habit while not admitting their stinky cancer causing addiction that must be indulged every 30 minutes. no... "THEY weren't druggies" BS tobacco is a drug. it's crack for the masses with briibers, i mean lobbyists, to keep safer, non addictive drugs from being legalized. NOTHING annoys me more than the circular logic argument "it's bad because it's illegal". it's illegal because it's a THREAT to many industries that bribe politicians to keep it illegal.

FACT: the very first american flag was made out of hemp.

i've had too many fatal attractions who literally stalk you. the last wacko i dated, who i HONESTLY told i'd NEVER have a relationship with from the beginning and otherwise treated 100% respectfully couldn't take my refusal to be owned and would drip antifreeze into my nostril as i sleep to nauseate me out of insane spite. the last time it happened... i nearly choked to death on non-stop vomiting. i CAUGHT her in the act that time as i felt something drip in my nostril when i was half awake and found her walking away when i jumped awake.

it's been five years since then that i haven't had the slightest interest in two party intimacy. you've got alot of nerve to try and judge me if you haven't walked in my shoes and nearly been KILLED by a looney toons. if you have a good relationship that works... more power to you.

i knew one promiscuous wiccan who claimed that a new partner every day = love, and refused to accept the concept of monogamy... yeah... she's a real marriage candidate. she was very good looking and wanted to marry me and have my child.

how about "rock teasers"... they're always fun... NOT

then, there's the TYPICAL dumb woman who only wants what's bad for her or what she can't have. don't deny that there aren't women who

SPECIFICALLY target married men

or that others are gold diggers

or that many are REALLY only turned on by big mouth idiots no matter how ugly or stupid they are and who act like big babies when they get sick... yeah that's "real macho". "i act so tough, but if i get a hang nail... i want my mommy"

these are the women who don't like it when you treat them with respect and are bored by you're being honest with them.

i even moved across the country to return to a woman who totally ripped my heart out before that married a buck toothed high school dropout that cheated on her withing a week of their marriage and that beat her, only to have her do it again before i even finished unpacking when i answered her "when are you coming back?" question. i was making good money where i was and returned to a financially depressed city "for the sake of love".

i've had my fill of women's crap. i'm HAPPY to not be stressed out because of their many shades of insecurity and poor value systems or even sick potentially homicidal tendencies. i have no patience for people ruled by their instinctual reptilian brain.

i guess that would TRULY make me self centered then. i'm the only person in my house... and i LIKE IT THAT WAY.

fool me TWENTY TIMES
shame on me.
not any more

until you've lived your life as a magnet for wackos... don't you dare judge me.

Silver Member

Post Number: 905
So bg what is this a tabacco commercial now?Geee..Wizz your the wacko,20 times what kind of taste in women do you have?How long does it take for you to learn what kind of women to stay away from?By the way you a flakin out right now,I could see why a woman would try to end your existence.Look man you have some issues,do you really think this is the kind of stuff you should be saying on a open forum?Hey man its nothing wrong with going to see a phyciatrist,people do it everyday for various issues,and its pretty clear you have some serious ones.I dont think any of us really want to hear this stuff(no pun intended seriously)It would probably be in your best interest to leave the weed alone man,if you already made it from all that,then no sence in taking steps backwards.All I can say is go get yourself some help so you can move on with your life,this is really something you should not be disscussing on this forum,wives is something most of us have on here so that dogs not gonna fly with them me included.So get it together man and quit feeling sorry for yourself and get your issues resolved.

Silver Member

Post Number: 310
go frog yourself!

i've never mistreated a woman ever. MOST women don't respect a guy who isn't a self centered trashtalking vermin LIKE FREAKIN' YOU! and the ones that do are clingy desperate stalkers.

frog off and die and take every other condescending vermin like yourself with you.

i'd love to end YOUR existence.

Silver Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 845
budget minded

I am very sorry for the experiences you have been through. I appreciate that were I in a similar situation I would probably have become as wary of female kind as you. That kind of treatment would leave anyone feeling very hurt, angry and distrustful. It seems you're the male equivalent of all those women who say "all men are b**t**ds". Those women will have very similar stories to tell about over-protective battering husbands with suicide pact tendencies.

Some people do seem to keep choosing poor partners. I know several people who just have this knack of choosing the worst type of people, no idea why, and they keep falling for the same type every time with the usual painful results at the end.

But women aren't all bad, and neither are all men. All I can say is that in my limited experience there are nice people out there and, provided you find one, then the company makes it very worthwhile.

Either way, your posts indicate that you harbour great resentment, anger and pain. This doesn't help you as a person. Irrespective of whether you find a partner or not, those feelings need to be addressed since they will chain your personal development and hold you back.

I write this through concern, and do not intend to be patronising. I hope you will find the strength and courage to discuss this issue with a counsellor who may be able to guide you through those emotions and deal with the memories and the pain.

Best Regards,
Frank.

Silver Member

Post Number: 237
WOW!

this post became really interesting AND intense... I LOVE IT!!!

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5492

Good for you.

Silver Member

NYC, NY

Post Number: 478
Where is Dr. Phil when you need him? The fat b a s t a r d is probably out eating right now.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us