Denon vs Yamaha vs Marantz

TRose
Unregistered guest
I've narrowed my speakers down to the Paradigm "System One" which consists of 2 Atoms, 2 ADP-170's, 1 CC-170 and an DP-10. I've been to three different audio stores and each recommends a different receiver; a Denon AVR-1804, Yamaha 640 and Marantz 4400. Keeping in mind a budget of around $1500 US for the whole package, which receiver would you recommend. I'm planning on using the system for 90% movies and 10% music.

Silver Member
Username: Myrantz

Post Number: 101
Try to stretch your budget for a Marantz 5400 as it has a much better power supply for all channels driven.

Silver Member
Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 317
I like the Marantz line very much but they are a bit too laid back for Paradigm IMO. I would suggest buying 4 Atoms and taking the savings and look at the Yamaha 1400 receiver on-line. All things being equal I would take the Marantz but not with Paradigm. I would not buy anything in the Yamaha line below the 1400. As far as the Denon goes my last experience with Denon was so bad I just can't recommend them anymore with a clear conscience. Good luck.

Username: Vaibhav

Post Number: 2
jamo and nad or jamo and denon
i was looking for more of neutral sound but wanted a great amount on detail.I was considering the denon avr-1804 or A corresponding nad for a 14 x 10 x10 room.Could you please help me out.

Silver Member
Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 330
Try the NAD 743 or 753. Either should fit the bill nicely.

Bronze Member
Username: Cheapskate

Post Number: 34
at your budget, i'd say get the nad 743 as mentioned and go with 4 magnepan MMGS which will go slightly over your budget, but you can't get a speaker that REALLY disappears sonically anywhere near their $550pr. price.

if you're going with maggies, you need NAD because most recievers can't handle 4 ohm loads.

at extreme budget, i really love the sound of my 55wpc onkyo and NHT superzero/supercenter combo especially in the imaging department, but magnepans totally kick butt in the midrange where you'll hear NO cabinet resonances and extreme transient speed. vocals sound VERY realistic on maggies.

one other benefit is that as surround speakers, maggies are true full range dipoles so when listened to on edge, they are alot harder to localize which is what you want in a surround speaker.

i like my current $800ish system, but i aspire to magnepans after being wowed by how startlingly realistic they sound.

before you settle on a system, give maggies a listen first to see if it's worth stretching your budget another 100 or two. you won't find MMGs in stores unless used, but you'll get to hear the "maggie sound" which is pretty much the same from model to model except for bass extension.

maggies can move ALOT of air very quickly due to their surface area. they might not go deep in the bass range, but they make traditional cone speakers sound like dead lead speedwise. i'm converted from being a strict "acoustic suspension/silk tweeter minimonitor ONLY" fan for my entire listening career to loving maggie lightning quick speed and midrange coherency. imaging isn't my number one priority anymore.

Username: Mulletboy

Post Number: 1
Speaker pairing with Marantz sr5300?

I've got some 15 year old Jamo SL150s. one woofer is blown and I want to get smaller speakers. What would be the best speakers to get for the marantz 5300 in the $500CAD price range? Mostly listen to music, but used for DVD too.

Username: Mulletboy

Post Number: 2
Looking at Energy Connoisseur C-3Bookshelf. A&B sales dude say they would be good with 5300. Who knows?

Username: Vaibhav

Post Number: 4
I have almost decided of the nad s300 stereo amplifier along with the jamo D830 speakers.Please help me with the cables.Sorry for the late reply.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us