Please Help me with my Preamp!!!

Username: Silentbob2003

Post Number: 1
I have an Adcom GFA 555 Preamp and for some reason i cannot get the right channel to work, I've switched wires/speakers around to test, but it seems like the Preamp is the problem. I dont know much about electronics, can someone please help me?? thanks!

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5176

Rob, with the small amount of information you've provided, I'm afraid there is nothing that can be done to assist you. We'll need to know much more to even begin guessing at the problem's solution.

Silver Member
Username: Cheapskate

Post Number: 227
yes... need more info. from what i seem to remember about adcom preamps, they have a bypass mode in which the preamp operates in passive mode (no gain stages) if nothing else... one would think that it should operate in that mode as the preamp becomes noting but input > volume control > output. if the amp didn't work thewn, there would have to be something causing a short.

did you switch wires to your amp? i would expect an amplifier channel to be out before a preamp channel.

did you try using different input channels (tape CD aux video etc?)

did you reverse left and right on all of your cables?

finally... did you switch speakers on the amp outputs and check your speaker cables? it's possible that you just have a bad connection on one of your amplifier sends. do you get sound in the opposite channel when you reverse your preamp > amp L/Rs?

obviously something is wrong, but there are too many possible causes to venture a guess.

if anything i mention is something you haven't checked yet, try it to see what happens.

"it doesn't work" isn't exactly the most technical description for troubleshooting a problem.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us