Muted sound from speakers

Username: Mcr5h

Post Number: 1
I have a Yamaha natural sound AV HTR-5550 reciever hooked up to Ascend bookshelf speakers. When I play music it comes out sounding muted and not crisp at all, I've messed with the reciever but can't get it to sound any better than how it is now any suggestions?

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5145

Maybe you've blown out the teeters.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5146

Maybe you've blown out the tweeters.

Post Number: 2
I think the amp is under powered to do that.

Unregistered guest
It sounds like you may need to adjust your midrange on your receiver. You might have blown your speakers, but the likelyhood of both going at the same time without you knowing(unless you really abuse your speakers)is not great. And no your amp is not under powered to do that. I would try adjusting the midrange frequencies and see if that helps.

www.digitalhsolutions.com

Post Number: 3
well I'm in college and coming back drunk blasting music is pretty common so you think my speakers are shot(sucks Balls)? sounds like a good reason they sound like junk,,, Any good suggestions on replacement speakers?

Post Number: 4
Is that the general diagnosis if you have a muted sound coming from good speakers that they are blown? How do I know when enough volume is enough?

Post Number: 5
Is that the general diagnosis if you have a muted sound coming from good speakers that they are blown? How do I know when enough volume is enough? what should i buy so this doesn't happen???????

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5149

When you hear distortion, turn down the volume.

If the music you listen has distortion as part of its signal, there is a point where you turn the volume control up and it doesn't get louder. The signal just gets compressed and nasty. That's way too loud and the amp is clipping its guts out. Turn it down and pay attention to where on the volume control that point happens. Don't get to that point and you won't blow up speakers (on a regular basis).

Post Number: 6
turning the volume low to mid it sounds good, but it's not loud enought to hear well, so I turn it up much higher. Do I just need to complete the surround sound to have good music?

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5156

Don't know. Go to an audio shop that can help you with that.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us