Connecting 3 8-ohm speakers to amp

Unregistered guest
I am setting up a football field sound system. We have a QSC 1850 HD amp powering 2 Electrovoice Sx500+ speakers which will be connected in parralel using Neutrik speakon connectors.

The problem is with the 3 smaller EV speakers for the home stands. We will be using 3 Electrovoice Sx80PI speakers rated at 8-ohms (nom). The QSC 850 amp has a rating of 830W at 4 ohms and 600W at 8 ohms. The amp will be running in parralel bridged/mono mode. What way would be the best to connect the 3 smaller speakers to the amp?

Thanks!

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5103

If the amp is capable of 25 or 70 volt output, that would be the best choice for a simple hookup.

Unregistered guest
Would the best way be a combination of Series/Parallel wiring? The QSC specs for the RMX 850 amp are http://www.qscaudio.com. Click on Products, and the RMX series. Any help is appreciated!

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5117

What?! You didn't think the answer I gave you was helpful? If the amplifier is capable of driving a 25 or 70 volt transformer coupled distribution system, that is your best solution. The amplifier sees a constant load and the power is distributed evenly across all speakers regardless of the actual impedance of the overall load.

If you don't like that answer, I would suggest you find out what the lowest impedance of the speakers falls to and call QSC. I doubt the amplifier will drive all three 8 Ohm speakers in parallel hook up. A series or parallel/series combination is probably the next best solution.

The specs for the amplifier don't mean diddly if you don't know the lowest (and highest) impedance the speaker goes down to.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us