Live performance

Bronze Member
Username: Skareb

Post Number: 32
I was trying to get a feel of live performance and see how accurate my hifi duplicate and went to a few live shows. What I found out was what are we trying to duplicate, the lead guitar stands on the front left but his guitar speakers was on the far left, the singer stands on the center but his voice seem to come from all over.

It all depends on where the band places their speakers and what sound are we trying to get? are we trying to duplicate the sound of the speakers they uses? Like for example the singers voice, I don't get a chance to get to know people like norah jones and listen to her voice as I have a friendly latte chat, I can only attend her concert and hear what the equipment she uses and the speakers she uses that most closely resemble her voice, so what are we trying to duplicate?
The equipment? how can we then say B&W produce better guitar sound then Quad? when the quitar sound we hear are produce by JBL speakers?

Silver Member
Username: Timn8ter

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 451
I'm wondering, if we are trying to reproduce a live event, is it a live event in a large arena with sound reinforcement equipment or a live event in a more intimate setting, like our living room?
The typical studio recording process, I think, is an attempt to create the illusion of the performers standing in our listening rooms performing just for us. The reality is, of course, that the artists are separated in different rooms in the studio and their performance EQ'd and mixed by the engineer. As to whether one piece of equipment produces this illusion better than another usually comes down to a matter of perspective by the listener based on his/her expectations of what it SHOULD sound like. This perspective can be adjusted by presenting various points of reference, whether that is a live performance or the performance of what that person would consider a reference audio system. In my humble opinion, of course.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5093

Hmmmmm, ... I've heard this discussion somewhere else.

Here's my suggestion. Attend a concert that doesn't use microphones or electronic amplification.

Anonymous

And don't forget your hearing aid!

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5097

I keep it in the pouch on my walker.

Silver Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 763
Skareb, Tim,

Have a look at this thread which is being discussed actively. The thread is in the Receivers forum and called How to spend (or something):

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/154029.html

We are discussing a very similar train of thought.

FWIW, for live events (and hence live recordings) I believe we want to recreate what the audience would hear, so in the case above, a recessed lead guitar and a vocal with no direct image. In the case of an opera, the participants should be moving around the stage and the orchestra should be sounding somewhere below and to the front of them (typically).

I have suggested a slightly contentious solution of recording the venue and using its acoustic parameters for the kit to compute, in combination with your room's acoustics, a set of paramteres that would give the original recording acoustic that the artist would want to be heard in (rather than the recording studio). In effect this could make the walls of your room vanish, but it's probably just pie in the sky...

Regards,
Frank.

Silver Member
Username: Audioholic

Post Number: 110
Skareb, what we audiophiles and music lovers are trying desperatly to reproduce in our living rooms is not live music, per say, but rather the sound of real instruments and real voices. In modern audio equipment, most consumer electronics do a pretty good job at playing back whatever is on the recording. And in reality, thats all we CAN do. We are at the mercy of the recording engineers, who lay down a series of individual tracks, or microphone feeds, then mix them together between left, center and right. With that in mind, the major job of ANY playback system is to reproduce in frequency and in time domain those often dozens of mic feeds. The biggest failure in my opinion, as well as the single biggest contributor to added distortions comes from the loudspeakers. This is especially true of phase distortions. Do some research in this area and listen to some speakers that are coherant in the time domain and you'll very quickly see how much more enjoyable all music becomes. Good luck.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us