Receiver or separates (it's been 22 years )

Username: Loce

Lilburn, GA

Post Number: 2
The recent failure of my Sony CD player has spurred me to update my stereo gear. I'm staying with 2 channel (my Mitsubishi DA-535 receiver is still doing fine) and am debating whether to go with a Harman Kardon 3480, or that NAD receiver (is it the 730bee?) that retails for $599.

If I go with the NAD, (which I have heard) then I have to keep the Speakerlab S190s for another couple of years.

If I go with the HK, then I will have money sooner for speakers.

Or I could go with vintage Adcom separates, currently available locally, for around $400, which splits the difference.

I'm probably not the most sophisticated listener and feel like I'm the character in that song "My Brain's Too Small" by the Rouch Bros when it comes to assessing audio gear these days.

Silver Member
Username: Riches1

Atlanta, GA US

Post Number: 179
Bryan - Have you been to Audio Alternative in Lilburn?

Lilburn, GA

Post Number: 4
Riches:
Yes. I had not been in there for about 2 years, and they recognized me when I stopped in last week. Audio Alternatives is a great store and the staff are very helpful. I'm trying to educate myself some before I buy any gear. I

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 1586
Byron,

how much do you really need an FM tuner? If you don't, I'd go for the NAD 320bee which is $400 instead of the 730bee or if you crave extra power, the NAD c372.

For the CD player, if you want to get very good sound on a low budget I suggest looking at the Marantz cc-4300 which is really impressive for its price point (about $250 new from audioadvisor.com or $129 refurb from accessories4less.com).

You might also want to explore the new pure-digital receivers, a lot of people are raving about the Panasonic sa-xr series, the newest one is the xr55 at a ridiculously cheap $240 (amazon.com)...do a search on avsforum.com there's a monster huge thread on it. I love the NAD sound but am very curious about this pure digital technology...did hear a JVC rx-f10 half a year ago and it really amazed me especially for just a little over $200.

Silver Member
Username: Riches1

Atlanta, GA US

Post Number: 182
Bryon:

I agree, Audio Alternatives is a great store. I thought that you might have been by there since you expressed an interest in NAD. They also carry PSB speakers which are excellent as well.

You can also audition Marantz, Denon and Pioneer Elite recievers and Paradigm Speakers at Evolution Theater on Pleasant Hill Road in Duluth. That will give you a good idea of quality electronics at various price points.

The Denon 2190 is also a good DVD player and has HDMI output for HDTV's.

I highly recommend looking at some the system recommendations on audioholics.com if you haven't done so already.

Good Luck.

Silver Member
Username: Ziggyzoggyoioi

Outside Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 113
For the CD player, Onix XCD-88 is basically the ~$500 Music Hall 25 for an introductory price of $299. It's available at http://www.av123.com/products_product.php?section=processors&product=25.1

Gold Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1268
Wish the Onix played SACDs. Maybe HDCD is enough?

Silver Member
Username: Ziggyzoggyoioi

Outside Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 114
Wish the Onix played SACDs

Me too. I've been thinking about that XCD-88/tube integrated combo for a dedicated 2-channel system in my office/study. If it did SACDs I probably would have bought it already.

Lilburn, GA

Post Number: 5
I'll likey go with the Marantz CD player because of the budget restraints and someday purchase a more high-end one such as the Onix. And I'm looking at intergrated amps as I agree with Edster about not really needing FM.

Lilburn, GA

Post Number: 10
It's now about three weeks since I posted this last message. Since then, I've added the Marantz cc-4300 and a Sansui AU 717 integrated amp (instead of a receiver--good advice about not need the FM, Edster). I was content just seeing how much better the old Speakerlab 190s sounded till I stumbled across a pair of JBL 120 Tis for a song (so to speak).

So the listening area in the basement has been transformed, for not too much money, and I'm enjoying listening to music again, which is the whole point.

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 1893
good to hear! there's a poster here who's big into JBL, Andy Summers who usually haunts the Movies section.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us