Rip Van Winkle---22 years later

Username: Loce

Lilburn, GA

Post Number: 1
I feel like Rip Van Winkle these days. Some 22 years ago, I purchased my current speakers, a set of Speakerlab S190s, a 3-way floor speaker. I've been studying the posts here and wondering if the Athena AS-F2.2 might be a decent budget speaker to add.

Amazon.com is selling these for $180 each with free shipping. Or I can keep saving change for a year and perhaps do better. I also need a receiver or separate---that's another story.

Thanks for any insights.

Silver Member
Username: Dakulis

Spokane, Washington United States

Post Number: 479
Brian,

Go listen to the Athenas and see if you like what you hear. They are fairly well thought of for a budget speaker. Ask Edster or others. If you want to save change, you probably can do better. It would help if you would post what kind of music you listen to, what you'll use for a receiver/amp., the size of your room and what you're trying to achieve, i.e., Multi-channel HT or music listening. Just a few thoughts, Dave.

Lilburn, GA

Post Number: 6
I ended up buying a new intergrated amplifier, well, a Sansui AU 717, so "new" to me only and listened critically to my Speakerlab S190s for a couple of weeks. They sounded OK with some music but a bit flat for most.

After listening to various speakers in some local stores that carry both new and used speakers, I ran across a pair of JBL 120Tis someone was selling for $150. These sound very good with the louder and classic rock though I still sort of like the Speakerlabs with some jazz and more detailed music.

There is an array of amazing stuff out there, but I think I'm content with what I have for now.

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 1855
for detailed music, especially if jazz is big for you, seriously look into the Ascend 170s.

http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages/products/speakers/cbm170/cbm170.html

The Athenas are very nice but do have a tipped up high end, whereas the Ascends are immaculately flat and neutral all the way across, stunningly detailed without being bright or harsh. You will however need a subwoofer (Hsu STF-1 or STF2 depending on room size) if you like strong bass with the 170s. If you don't like the 170s, return shipping should run you maybe $15 otherwise you get a full refund.

But $360 shipped for the F2.2s is a great deal. I love Amazon too. Just keep in mind that the bigger a speaker is, the better a power source it will need to sound its best.

Silver Member
Username: T_bomb25

Dayton, Ohio United States

Post Number: 952
Thats kind of a big step back from your Speakerlabs,maybe you should look more into your electronics.

Lilburn, GA

Post Number: 7
Well, thanks for the advice about the Ascends and upgrading the rest of my gear, but for now, I'm content with the upgrades I've been able to make within a fairly tight budget (think change saved in a big jug for the past 4 years plus a little birthday money). Still, reading all the various posting on this site has been an educational experience and I think I made some good choices without erring as I would have otherwise.

Silver Member
Username: Twebbz

Ann Arbor, Michigan USA

Post Number: 240
The Athena AS-F2s only have a tipped up high end before they break-in...after a while they smooth out quite nicely to the point that I would not characterize them as bright. Crisp, clear and articulate is a better description...and there is great bass authority so you need not waste money on a sub.

Bronze Member

Lilburn, GA

Post Number: 12
Tawuan:

You wrote: "Thats kind of a big step back from your Speakerlabs,maybe you should look more into your electronics."

I'm not sure I follow. Did you mean that the Athena speakers that Edster mentioned were a step back, or the JBL speakers I purchased, or perhaps something different?

I also was not sure what you intended by looking into my electronics? I just replaced the very old Mitsubishi with the Sansui (actually older), but I have the sound I could afford at this junction in life.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us