Channel cuts out, returns when volume cranked up

Username: Courtarro

Post Number: 1
I've had a low-end Sony STR-DE135 for 4 years now and I love it (of course, I'm a poor college audio enthusiast). Lately, it's taken to dropping out the right channel without a clear reason. On the upside, I just discovered that turning the volume up a bit, then back down, will cause the channel to return for a while.

When I switch to the tuner, the channel is still missing (so it's not an input problem). When I turn off the speaker outputs, the channel is still missing in the headphones (so it's not a speaker problem).

I'm an EE student and I'm reasonably comfortable doing some soldering/component replacement, so I am curious if anyone's figured out a solution to this problem before. I've seen other threads about it possibly being a volume rheostat problem, but I would expect that to affect both channels equally. Any ideas?

Anonymous

I'm NO expert but I've had this problem before.i think it's more serious like capacitor failure etc.If you are more knowledgable than I you might be able to fix it yourself but thruthfully your better off just junking it and getting a new receiver,minisystem etc.Ebay is good just don't buy from liquidation companies(it's mostly junk even though they will claim they tested it) or people that don't describe items well or as working.

Anonymous

By liquidation companies I don't necessarilly mean companies selling new items I mean companies selling "open box" etc products-there are some good sellers but unfortunately the bad ones ruin it by lying and saying they test something but don't-better off buying from a trustworthy private individual or just buying a new receiver at discount either on ebay or elsewhere.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us