Sony SS-MF750H

Username: Lawk

Post Number: 1
I am planning on purchasing one pair of Sony SS-MF750H. They fit my budget and i believe they will sound good out of my 100w per channel reciever from digital PC audio. I currently have a 100w powered subwoofer that i plan to couple with these for my listening enjoyment.

If anyone has auditioned these speakers on a similar setup, please provide your comments and/or suggestions.

Bronze Member
Username: Brittho

Frisco, TX USA

Post Number: 56
The last Sony SS line of speakers that I heard that were acutally nice sounding were the B&W mimic'd ones that Circuit City had about a year ago. They had a yellow Kevlar looking cone to them and they actually had a nice open sound. They would make decent front speakers for someone looking for 80% HT and 20% music.

This is from a current owner mind you. But the speakers that I mentioned above are here on this site.
http://www.positive-back.com/Issue19/sonyssk70ed.htm

These are the ones that I heard around Thanksgiving of last year and they really were amazing. Sony can really do a good job on anything when they put their mind to it. The rest of the speaker line just cannot hold a candle to other options that are out there for music enjoyment. But for about $300.00 for floorstanders you will have a hard time fiding anything else.

The ones I own were purchased in 1988 and acutally are not too bad for the fact that this was all that I could afford as a High School kid. Now at twice those years of age I am ready to move on. So I don't know your situation but if you want only a Sony product try to find one of these loudspeakers that i linked on this message. If they are now all gone then by all means buy what you can afford. For 200-300 bucks at least you are buying something new so that you know they were not mistreated by someone else.

By the way the above review was written for the May/June edition of Positive Feedback so you may or may not be able to find these loudspeakers in stores. Good luck on whatever you choose.

Username: Stradivari

Post Number: 5
Nice link, it takes you no where! :-)

Bronze Member

Frisco, TX USA

Post Number: 59
Odd...hmmm...for some reason "feed" was out to lunch on the link. Strange....here you go! :-)

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue19/sonyssk70ed.htm

Post Number: 2
So, Britt have you auditioned the SS-MF750H?

Bronze Member

Frisco, TX USA

Post Number: 60
Lawk,

So sorry to say Lawk but I have not. I just wanted to share about a pair that I heard last year that were a pleasent experience. Too bad they did not sell well though for Sony. I can tell you that a have a neighbor nearby that has some Athena's that were not too much $$$ and they sound pretty nice. I don't know which model they are but Athena's are discussed on this site often. They seem to be the favorite set up for the budget Audionut. :-) I have no opinion on the pair that you are currently looking at. So my help directly on that pair is nil. Just wanted to find out if you could audition the pair that i linked at Circuit City. They may not have any left but it may also be worth a shot.

Britt

Post Number: 3
Specs for the Speakers you mentioned:

http://www.sonystyle.ca/commerce/servlet/ProductDetailDisplay?storeId=10001&cata logId=10001&langId=-1&productId=173074

Here are the specs on the SS-MF750H:

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/letsgodigital/ssmf750h.html

I havent been able to find the speakers you mention for the price of the 750's($210 after shipping), which is the price i can afford right now.

Any other thoughts? Anyone?

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 1562
$210 after shipping for the Sonys...heck at that pricepoint I'd take a chance and try out these SDATs which Tawaun claims are better than the Athenas:

http://www.overstock.com/cgi-bin/d2.cgi?page=proframe&prod_id=1171468

Personally I'd just go up to about $300 and get a 2.1 setup consisting of:

http://www.audioadvisor.com/store/productdetail.asp?sku=ATHASB2&product_name=Aud ition%20AS-B2%20Speakers%20-%20Pair

and

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=300-634&raid=25&r ak=daysub

Silver Member
Username: Devils_advocate

Post Number: 187
Heh, I wouldn't touch the SDAT's with a 10 foot pole. Instead of the Athena bookshelf I would suggest the Cambridge Soundworks Model Six. Can be had for $105 as b-stock, and can go low enough on its own not to need a subwoofer for a lot of music (when placed close to a wall).

Username: Makoman

Post Number: 10
Both Edster and DA offer great suggestions. They were valuable resources in my recent purchase(s). I would try to stay away from the SDAT unless you can hear them somewhere. Too much uncertainty there. Do consider the Parts Expess subwoofer as it's about the best "bang for your buck" sub on the market. I lucked out (so far) with an ebay purchase of an Acoustech H-100 sub for $170 shipped.

I can add looking at Fluance speakers (Excellent positive reviews posted here and elsewhere. Actually, I don't recall a negative review, just great value...), dependent on whether you want mainly music, HT or a 50/50 mix. I received my Fluance speakers (SV-6, and AV-SC) and the Acoustech H-100 sub at the end of July, moved across town, and just set them up this week. WOW! The sound is AWESOME! Hope to get my review out this week! Need to tweak a little more.

I was a little worried about an internet only company, but I can say they are comparable to the low to middle end Boston Acoustics 2-way and center channel speakers, IMO, that retail for double to triple the Fluance prices. If you are looking for HT use and want to go with Cambridge and the Model Six, I would either buy 4 of the Model Sixes and use 2 as a center channel.

Good luck with the decision!

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 1567
Spud,

I look forward to reading your review of the Fluance, especially if you can directly compare them against some other retail speakers in that price range.

Post Number: 5
well...i found the sony's for $139 so i got em, after i auditioned them at a friends place btw. I will be looking into the dayton sub though. I will also be getting into the E80 to complete my system. I let you all know. THanks for the input!

Bronze Member

Frisco, TX USA

Post Number: 66
$139.00! I was hoping to get at least $25.00 for my 20 year old Sony's. Maybe not...anybody got a white van I could borrow? I can just say that they are "vintage". ;-)

Post Number: 6
Britt, the sony's i got are new. I ordered a pair of Cambridge Model Six's too. Thanks Devil's Advocate.

Bronze Member

Frisco, TX USA

Post Number: 70
Hey Lawk,

I was trying to be humorous. It went over like a lead balloon. :-\ Oh well. Heck for the price paid the Sony's should serve you well. Mine have for many years and they have not had one issue at all. What I was trying to imply was that I was hoping to get some $ for them after upgrading this year. If they are going for only $139.00 new then I will not get anything for a 20 year old pair. :-( Maybe a garage sale!!! Yeah that is it and then all I need is someone to take care of actually setting up a garage sale and then running it. I wonder how I can convince my wife that a sale would be a good idea...hmmm...

Silver Member
Username: Devils_advocate

Post Number: 194
Let us know what you think of them Lawk. They need a little bit to break in though, just as an fyi (~50 hours ought to do).

Post Number: 7
ok Britt...

DA - 50 hours should take me about a day, hehe. But yeah, ill let you all know. thanks

Bronze Member
Username: Marcuslee842

Chicago, IL U.S.A.

Post Number: 57
I have the Sony MF750's and they are great. I have a thread somewhere on here about them.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us