Speaker going out on tv, what to do...

Username: Frootloops

Post Number: 1
Hello, I hope someone can help me with this problem.
I have a TV that has a single speaker (it puts out both the left and right channels) that is slowly going out (starting to fizz, pop, and not produce any sound). What can I do so I can have sound to the TV again?
Replacing the speaker is one option, I just don't feel like cracking it open and fiddling with getting the proper sized and shielded speaker for it.
The TV only has a coaxial in jack so finding some external speakers and plug them in is out of the question.

So really my question is, is there any options to add external speakers to this TV, or am I just out of gas and have to crack this baby open like and egg?

Thanks in advance,
Froot Loops

Silver Member
Username: Kano

Post Number: 579
My sister uses a speaker/amplifier/receiver all in one, it actually greatly improved the sound over the TV speakers. I believe it was around $60. If you want more info I'll ask her who makes it.

Post Number: 2
That would be great. I'm just trying to find something that might work, so that I don't have to open the TV up.

Thanks,
Froot Loops

Silver Member
Username: Cheapskate

Post Number: 225
finally. THIS was the thread that i tried to reply to 3-4 days ago when my ISP went nuts and didn't recognize the message forums anymore. fortunately, i saved my reply...

just use a VCR as your tuner and hook it up to your stereo. you'll be able to watch TV shows in actual stereo and if you have a surround sound reciever... in surround too.

then, you're just using the TV as a monitor.

either that, or you could get a portable radio that has TV bands which would be kind of annoying as you'd have to tune your radio every time you change your TV channel.

what other A/V equipment do you have besides your TV?

if you want simple and cheap and already have a VCR but no stereo, you could buy a boombox that has line in inputs and just plug your VCRs line outs into the box, again, using the VCR as your tuner.

how good a sound do you want to have?
what gear do you already have?
how much do you want to spend?

need more info for a better answer.

if you just want your speaker back... you'll need to open the set to connect a new one (SHIELEDED SPEAKERS ONLY!!!!!!!!) to your TVs amp. otherwise, you'll need SOME external piece of gear.

this might be a good excuse for you to get into home theater and the awesome sound quality of DVDs.

if you don't want to open your TV up and find out how much energy a capacitor can hold (LOL) you'll have to invest in gear or connect gear that you already have.

more info please.

Post Number: 3
I would use my VCR as a receiver/tuner, but it has no audio out jacks. It's a no frills VCR...

Right now I have an RF modulator keeping everything hooked together (TV, GameCube, PS2, DVD player, VCR, Altec Lansing speakers). And I would just turn the Altec Lansing speakers on when I have the TV on, but it is just to much for late night watching.

So while looking around trying to find a good fix I was able to find a good set of shielded speakers (yes I'm not that stupid... *smiles*) for $18, same wattage, same ohms, same size. They should be arriving today. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Thanks for the help!
Froot loops

Anoni
Unregistered guest
Buy a new TV !

Post Number: 4
TV is still good. If I can spend $18 to fix the problem, I have more fun money.

Froot Loops

Silver Member
Username: Kano

Post Number: 589
http://store.yahoo.com/yhst-9301186439366/zvonstsosysi.html

Found it.

Silver Member
Username: Cheapskate

Post Number: 234
those altecs are good speakers. definately much better than your TV speakers.

how were you driving them? you had to be using something as an amp. more likely than not, it had a volume control.

if you already have altecs... i'd invest in an $80 or so VHS player. then you could have STEREO TV and even be able to make copies of video tapes that aren't copy protected. i don't know how your RF modulator works (i have a 20 year old 27" sharp myself LOL) but mine has both RCA jacks for my DVD player and an extra coax in which is what i use for my VCR.

if you already have altecs... you're 1/2 the way towards having a nice home system.

and instead of fiddling with your RF modulator, could just plug your games etc. into the front of your new VCR. my sony VCR, also has rca jacks in back which is what my JVC plugs into for dubbing.

now that i've grown used to nice speakers and a reciever for TV viewing... watching TV at friend's and relative's homes is unbearable. LOL i'm spoiled.

golly... if you have altecs... put em' to use. it seems an outright shame to let them collect dust. would you use a rolex as a paperweight? LOL

are those the powered altecs? you never mentioned your amp. you can use unshielded speakers with TVs as long as you keep them a couple feet away, but if you were installing in the TV itself, you'd definately need unshielded.

to me... it just looks like you need a VCR with stereo out (better get a VCR while you still can... they won't be around too much longer and they're dirt cheap now... stereo sonys $70... samsung even cheeper) to be able to take advantage of what nice speakers you already have.

i can't think of how you're going to fix the problem for $18. the ONLY possible way i can think of would be if your RF modulator has line out audio and a coax input too. then, you might be able to use your RF modulator to generate audio out of your VCRs coax.

you POSSIBLY could solve the problem with just some cable juggling. if your RF modulator has audio out... see if you can get it to turn RF in into rca out.

that would be a simple dollar store cable fix if it works. can't get cheaper than that!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us