$70 a pair floorstanding speakers anyone?

Username: Lil_tyrant

Post Number: 5
i was looking at some of the sound stuff on tigerdirect last night and i stumbled across these,

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=11780 43&CatId=1069

At first i thought i may have read the price wrong 35 dollars for one floor standing speaker, these guys must be crazy. Well anyways i just thought id share with ya guys.

Silver Member
Username: Jimvm

Louisiana U.S.A.

Post Number: 169
Thanks ------ but no thanks. :-)

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 3364
Looks like the top of the line Theater Research, Dogg Digital speaker scam from the van.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5047

How about that? $34.99 each! The cardboard boxes my speakers came in cost more than that. How do they do it?

Silver Member
Username: Joe_c

Atlanta, GA

Post Number: 946
Kenny Li knows.

Username: Lil_tyrant

Post Number: 6
cant be any worse than bose speakers:P

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5051

The cardboard boxes Bose speakers come in cost more than $34.99. It can't sound any worse than those cardboard boxes. Wait a minute, now that I think about it ...

Silver Member
Username: Cheapskate

Post Number: 187
well... i actually have some hands on experience with MCM electronics, directly through their site. most of my subwoofer came from them.

the 12" sub is decent enough for the price and was capable of shaking the walls with an NAD reciever equivalent to a 50 watt (20-25WPC +3dB headroom) but the cabinet was a huge disappointment. it was listed as 3/4", but only the front and back were. the top bottom and sides were only 1/2"! i had to line the box with 3/4" MDF to tame the resonances.

those speakers you found are probably better than those hideous TECHNICS 3 ways with cone tweeters that i still being thrown out from time to time, but they can't be that good.

they are probably only rated for 20 watts. single drivers cost more than those speakers. there hast to be corners cut somewhere, unless the company that made them went bankrupt.

one other possibility is the old "stick it to em' with shipping charges" ploy that many dealers use after they lure you with "too good to be true" prices. it's no surprise if you check the shipping charges for the cheapest prices on a shopping engine like dealtime that they are the ones with the highest shipping charges.

and EXTREME case of this is an unscrupulous vendor on ebay who sold tiny little digital cameras for $2 with a whopping $20 shipping charge!

that's pretty much what the camera went for elsewhere, but hiding the shipping charges to lure with a neon price sticky is just wrong.

i was tempted to take a bus to their store for a shipping free purchase just out of spite! LOL
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us