Audio out on my TV

Username: Nyrfan

Post Number: 6
I have a Sony KDF-60XS955 (LCD TV) with an optical audio out connection. The problem is I cannot get it to work!

The TV is receiveing the A/V signal via the HDMI connection from my SA STB. I then connected the audio opt out from the TV to my receiver but get nothing.

Anybody hve any ideas why this is not working?

Felix

Silver Member
Username: Touche6784

USA

Post Number: 590
do you have anything connecting the audio from your source to the TV? kinda useless to hook up the audio from TV to reciever if TV has no audio information to give. by the way, HDMI is a VIDEO only cable. so its not an A/V signal, just V.

Post Number: 7
HDMI is Audio and Video in one cable!! This is the only cable running from my cable box to my TV and I receive audio & video fine through my TV.

So that is where I am getting my audio from to go out of my TV via the optical output.

Felix

Silver Member
Username: Touche6784

USA

Post Number: 592
my mistake.

Silver Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 239
Felix 2 questions:
1) Do you have to set your amplifier to know which input to get the audio from to play it? When watching TV do you have to switch to that mode.

2) Do you have to switch your TV audio to tell it to switch to the output and not use it's internal speakers?

Post Number: 8
Stof:
1- Yes this I know for sure this is set properly.
2- I was thinking something like this but just cannot find a setting for it at all.

Felix

Silver Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 240
Is there no audio signal out from your SA STB that you can connect to your receiver bypassing the TV? If it does try to see if that works.

I like to run all my A/V through the receiver and make the TV a dumb terminal. Though I don't suppose your receiver has an HDMI input/Output.

Post Number: 10
No HDMI on my receiver as there is at best a handful of receivers outlike that and all very $$$.

I can go directly to the receiver with my audio connection but because I am using HDMI to connect to my TV the optical out on my STB does not work unless I switch the audio out from HDMI to Dolby Digital (Optical out)

Someone on another post pointed out the only way the optical out on my TV will work is if I am using the cable card, it will not work any other way.

Felix

Unregistered guest
I have a similar problem with a new JVC. I was hoping to hook up the optical out to my receiver for both my TV (antenna HD signal) and a DVD player. The DVD player is hooked up with a HDMI to the TV.

The optical out works fine for the TV this way, but if I turn on a DVD the audio plays correctly through the TV speakers, but the optical out is still sending audio from the TV signal...

So I am looking for an answer to the HDMI to optical audio output dillema.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us