Help with speakers!

Username: Asdf777

Post Number: 1
I usually buy most of the stuff through the internet and wanted to do the same with speakers but it's not working out... After reading multiple posts on this forum and audioreview, etc., magnepan mmgs looked like a clear winner, so I ordered them and NAD 753 receiver (mostly thanks to Hawk's post -- is he still around?).

While MMGs had remarkable reproduction of classical music and jazz, there really weren't stellar for home theater. In fact, when hooked to a tv, they sounded pretty bad. So I thought that the problem was because it was a planar speaker not suitable for tv. I sent them back and ordered Ascend Acoustics with a HSU STF-2 subwoofer, which should have been the next best thing according to most of the reviewers. A dissapointment again. They're okay, but even a bit worse than magnepans (imho!). So I'm not sure what to turn to. It sounds like I just need to visit a local dealer, but then which speakers should I listen to? Both mmgs and ascends are very good speakers but sound pretty dry to my taste and lacking character. They just don't make my heart sing.. My room is pretty big ~4500-5000 cubic feet.

Any advice? Thanks!

Gold Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1185
Go listen to as many as you can! No one can decide for you. Try to find some higher end Klipsch (Reference or Heritage series), you might like them.

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 1505
the Ascend 170s or 340s? I'd be surprised if they could beat the Maggies for classical and jazz but for HT they should be a clear improvement, the Maggies are notoriously bad for HT as I understand it.

It's possible also that you simply prefer a warm, lush sound so the combination of a neutral receiver like the T753 and neutral speakers like the Ascends might not be the best choice for you.

You might want to look into Polk speakers, the RTi8 and above are quite warm though a bit overpriced IMO.

Others here like Tawaun who are more into warmish speakers can offer lots of other suggestions.

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1188
Warm? I thought he wanted bright! :-)

Gold Member

Post Number: 1506
well I guess that would explain the Klipsch recommendation. : )

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1189
Yes, although I characterise Klipschorns as revealing rather than bright. :-)

Post Number: 2
Peter, you're good :-) I was thinking of bright too... It's like the treble is missing something for me.

And yes, for HT, ascends are clearly better than MMGs, but still not good enough for me (sorry).

The sound I'd like to hear should be powerful, deep, rich, and clean. I'm afraid, though, that it might be too expensive for my wallet -- I'd like to stay under ~1300 range for front speakers and no subwoofer

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1192
GR,

$1300 is not a tiny sum. Will you want to eventually match these front speakers with a center and surrounds? Or will this remain a 2-channel system?

You might like Klipsch. Try to audition some RF-7 (which are close to your price point) to give you an idea. They are the top-of-the-line of the Reference series. Also, if it turns out that you like the Klipsch sound, then there are also great bargains to be had buying used in their old lines. Perhaps you could find someone in your area that would let you audition his Klipsch setup. I'm thinking of Klipsch Cornwall speakers, which I have never heard myself but people on the Klipsch forum sure do love 'em. They sell used for under $1000 a pair, are very efficient, have deep bass and image very well. They last forever and hold their value. You could buy a pair and sell them a year later for the same price. It would be interesting if you could find someone to let you audition them... You could also have used La scala's for $1300 a pair.

Bronze Member
Username: Ziggyzoggyoioi

Outside Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 93
If you're looking for floorstanders, I would listen to:
Totem Arro
Klipsch RF-7
Monitor Audio (They have several in this price range)
Energy Connoisseur C-9
Definitive Technology BP7006
PSB Image T65
Paradigm (don't know which model(s) hit that price point)
Ohm MicroWalsh Tall

If you're looking for bookshelves:
Totem Rainmaker

Post Number: 3
Due to a weird room setup, I think it will just be front speakers + center simply because I have nowhere to put or hang the surrounds.

Bronze Member
Username: Stevizard

Indianapolis, Indiana USA

Post Number: 12
GR,

I have three RBH Sound Signature Series T-1 speakers (front left, right, and center) and two RBH 66-SE speakers for my rear surrounds. I also have an RBH 1212-SE powered subwoofer (400 watts). These are the sweetest speakers I've ever heard. The sound will not only fill your big room, it'll blow you away.

http://www.rbhsound.com/index.html

http://www.rbhsound.com/index.html

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1198
Man, these are the weirdest speakers I've ever seen:

http://www.rbhsound.com/t3.shtml

Over 7.5 feet high and barely over a foot wide. Can you image your kid tippin g that over on the floor? Ouch!

Silver Member
Username: T_bomb25

Dayton, Ohio United States

Post Number: 620
Peter they are pretty good they have been around for years to.GR for the kind of sound you are looking for I would suggest the Tannoy Sensys DC 3 they will be a very exiting sound without being overbaringly bright with a super extended treble with very good imaging and they will play very very loud with startling dynamics they $1200 a pair pretty deep bass to.

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1199
Tawaun, pretty good or not, they can<t possibly be stable! Ouch! Can you imagine the damage inflicted when they tip over?

Silver Member

Post Number: 631
Well Peter its a lot of designs out like that now the Dali Megaline,Triangle Magellan,some of the tyler Acoustics and the very very well Dynaudio Evidence,so it must work,hell you can sign me up for any of them.

Silver Member
Username: Cheapskate

Post Number: 179
personally, i LUST over MMGs after being converted from a 20 year diehard acoustic suspension minimonitor fan (i own NHT super zeros) and being totally blown away by maggie freedom from distortion, vocal magic and lightning fast speed especially in the bass.

you really should go out and audition a bunch of equipment to find what you like. i'd recommend AGAINST seeking klipsch speakers out unless you just want loud part speakers that aren't too accurate. i find klipsh horn tweeters to be particularly obnoxious myself.

it sounds like you have an aversion to bright sounding speakers. that sounds like you aren't really into metal dome tweeters and would prefer the mellower and more relaxed treble that soft domes provide.

you might also be more into ported speakers which tend to sound warmer as they emphasize the bass range more.

no recommendation can ever be 100% as every design has tradeoffs. as a formerly (before maggy audition) diehard fan of acoustic suspension minimotors and subs (speed and freedom from distortion) i've learned to hate big slow moving resonant ported woofers, yet a bass freak would totally hate my punchy and lean superzeros and turned down subwoofer.

train your ears to find what you like. at the moment... it sounds like you're looking for WARMTH in sound. tube amps and big ported speakers might be YOUR path to audio nirvana.

train your ears to be sure.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1518
I'm curious, Budget-Minded: how exactly to "train your ears?" Detailed suggestions would be much appreciated.

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1213
budget minded,

Read again! He is looking for bright rather than warm.

Why would you recommend AGAINST auditioning any speakers in particular? That's hilarious! What's the worst that can happen?

Gold Member
Username: Kegger

Warren, MICHIGAN

Post Number: 2602
GR I would definatly say give the KLIPSCH RF-7's a try!

You may be a KLIPSCH guy and didn't know it! LOL!

Don't be fooled by the lower lines of the likes of KLIPSCH and JBL both of those
lines have some really bad sounding and poorly made lesser speaker lines that
could leave a bad immpression on you to where you think all of theres are like that.

Give the upper models a shot, you may like!

Post Number: 4
Yes, thanks, guys. Of course, I'll try to listen as many speakers as possible including Klipsch.

It's just there are so many of them and no one dealer has them all. In terms of warm or bright -- I can't really visualize the difference since so far I've heard MMGs and ascends and they're both neither warm nor bright.

Thanks again.

Silver Member

Post Number: 646
I think a lot of people that have not heard Klipsch as of late dont know what they are missing the refference line is very good without being bright,you shouldnt advise against any one speaker espeacially when it concerns someonelse buying them.You are not gonna be the one hearing them,they are.Contrary to what you might not beleive their are 2 people on this forum that have sold their Maggies and went back to ported box speakers,your cup of tea isnt everyones.

Post Number: 5
Folks, I finally listened to several speakers, namely, Klipsch RF-35/RF-5, Monitor Audio S6 silver, PSB, Monitor Audio Gold series (something expensive) and chose S6 -- excellent bass, very clear and delicate sound. Besides, they're made from real wood, and have exact same color as my tv stand :-) Will email some pictures later if interested.

P.S. I got them for $599 (new, in the box) + a center channel speaker for $399... The setup sounds so good that I'm now thinking of buying another pair for surrounds while the dealer has them in stock at this price.

P.P.S. Didn't like Klipsch. The sound was boomy, loud and harsh, though the mids were pretty good in RF-5s.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us