Onkyo receivers

Bronze Member
Username: Matt1234

Post Number: 12
I would like to know something. How good is the radio reception of Onkyo receivers? Can they pull in distant stations with ease?

Silver Member
Username: Dmwiley

Post Number: 970
In my experience, Onkyo tuners are of average sensitivity.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
Well, then, what receivers do have high sensitivity? Do you know of any?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
Th reason why I ask this is because my sister has a lower-end Philips shelf stereo system. Sure, the sound quality isn't the greatest, but it picks up distant radio stations with ease. For instance, there is this station that I live 44.6 miles from. The name of the station is 95.7 WZID. While all the radios in my room pick it up with static, her stereo picks it up nice and clear. That is the reason why I am out for a high-sensitivity receiver. In fact, I have always loved finding distant, out-of-state radio stations since my sophomore year in high school. My receiver budget is about $200. I am looking for a stereo receiver. I know what receivers sound good, but I do not know which of them has better radio sensitivity. Any opinions?

Silver Member
Username: Gman

Mt. Pleasant, SC

Post Number: 695
Quite often high sensitivity comes at a price--such as poor selectivity. Also, the same receiver in 2 adjacent houses will often have different abilities in picking up distant stations. Most Onkyo's tuner sections are a bit above average. That said, you will often get far better performance with a good antenna and a cheaper receiver than with a better tuner and a standard issue antenna that comes with the receiver or tuner.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
My sister's stereo also has good selectivity. But hers is only a shelf stereo, and it does not come with tower speakers. It also only holds 3 CDs. I figured that I went with separate components I would be able to achieve these goals of mine if I picked my components carefully. That is the reason why I keep coming here for help, though. You guys offer great suggestions. As for getting better performance from a cheaper receiver hooked up to a better antenna? I am kind of neutral with that, because my sister's stereo comes with a dipole antenna. The dipole antenna right now is on the floor, and even then, her stereo still pulls in distant stations like crazy.

Bronze Member
Username: Builder1

Beantown, MA

Post Number: 28
Try a Terk antenna you'll be able to pick up stations just fine.

Username: Patnshan

Wisconsin USA

Post Number: 4
For reference, my marantz tuner is horrible. I get static on stations my $10 clock radios pull in with ease. That is actually my only gripe with these receivers.

Pat

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 1508
My vintage NAD tuner has excellent reception. Look on eBay, they should go for $100 and under.

Anoni
Unregistered guest
Matt,

I own a HK 3480, which I bought from HK direct on e-bay for about $200.00; this unit has exceptional reception.

For Radio and occasional CD playing it does very well ! It even has a Phono and Sub-Woofer inputs.

Just an option

Anoni
Unregistered guest
http://cgi.ebay.com/Harman-Kardon-HK-3480-Z-AM-FM-Stereo-Receiver-Tuner_W0QQitem Z5797736488QQcategoryZ67799QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Post Number: 1
Hey, Edster, you are very helpful indeed, but guess what? I'm not allowed to use ebay. My parents won't let me. Therefore, I can only accept recommendations for new gear. Sorry for the inconvenience.

anoni
Unregistered guest
Thanks edster! that is it ! what about the rest of us? you have deeply hurt my feelings! :-(

HK 3480
HK 3380
NAD C-740
Denon DRA 685
Denon DRA-395
Onkyo TX 8511
Sherwood rx-770
Marantz SR4320

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help