Bass Reinforcement

Username: Matt1234

Post Number: 1
I need help. I was thinking of buying a new stereo for my bedroom a year from now. I need help deciding something. I am a bass addict, therefore, this new stereo must pound out lots of bass, more so than my current JVC shelf stereo with so-called "subwoofers." I need to know, if I want a lot of bass, which one of these speaker setups would be ideal for me: a pair of tower speakers, or a pair of bookshelf speakers paired with a subwoofer? I am open for any suggestions you guys throw at me, except for the "spend more than $400 on speakers" types.

Silver Member
Username: Devils_advocate

Post Number: 153
A powered subwoofer would definately give the bookshelves an edge in bass output; however, I think the sheer "presence" of a good pair of full range speakers would compensate for that. YMMV though.

Gold Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1178
A pair of towers and a subwoofer?

If you are limited to $400 total, don't expect the ultimate sound and bass. You'll need to spend nearly that much on the sub...

Post Number: 2
That I do find true, but my room is small, and I read somewhere on this ecoustics site that if you try to squeeze big bass into a small room, most of the bass frequencies will cancel out. Is that true, or will I get more bass in a small room than I would in a bigger room? I need some knowledge in how room acoustics work, because if I buy a pair of tower speakers and discover that they have hardly any bass at all due to room acoustics, my eyes will be filled with tears in a matter of minutes. My room is 13 ft. long and 9 ft. wide, with a 7 ft. high ceiling. Therefore, will I get more bass with a bookshelf/sub setup with the subwoofer set to maximum, or should I take the gamble and go with tower speakers.

Silver Member

Post Number: 154
Ehh that isn't entirely true Peter. I'm satisfied with a bookshelf/sub combo that set me back all of 200 bucks. A pair of CSW Model Sixes run ~$105 B-stock, and a CSW Basscube 12 subwoofer off ebay runs ~180. For the price I think this combo is pretty solid.

Post Number: 3
"A pair of towers and a subwoofer?"-Peter Galbraith

That might work, but if I have the sub's level cranked up to maximum, won't the advantage of tower speakers be negated? I also read on a bunch of websites that if you use a sub's speaker-level jacks, the sub will filter out frequencies below 80 Hz from the main speakers. Do all subwoofers do this, or are there any subs out there with non-high-pass filtered speaker jacks? I was looking at a Sony 12" subwoofer because the specs did not say whether or not it had a built-in high-pass filter, but it does have a low-pass filter. The low-pass filter cuts high frequencies from the sub, while a high-pass filter cuts out low frequencies.

"If you are limited to $400 total, don't expect the ultimate in sound and bass."-Peter Galbraith

Actually, Peter, what I meant to say is that I am limited to $400, no wait a minute, $300 for the speakers, $200-300 for the sub, and $300 for the CD player. I currently already have a KLH stereo receiver, and unless it does not give the tower speakers enough juice, then I am keeping it.

Silver Member
Username: Touche6784

USA

Post Number: 577
matt sony subs suck. if anything stay away from sony speakers. better to go with bookshelf speakers with a sub. or if you are willing take the plunge into SDAT speakers. go to overstock.com and you can find some floor standers with subwoofer units. then you can get a decent sub for $400 like the hsu stf-2. dont bother with the sub's high pass filter. just use the low pass and have the speakers hooked to the reciever.

Gold Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 1916
If you want cheap bedroom speakers that are meant for blasting away, you might want to look in this direction.

http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php/masterid=258703/search=cerwin+veg a

Post Number: 5
Why do Sony subs suck? Do they have no bass? Why do sony speakers suck? Do they lack bass? Some of my friends from work have sony speakers in their bedrooms, and they are pleased with them, and yes, those kids are bass addicts like me.

Post Number: 6
Also, didn't I already state that my subwoofer budget is $200-300?

Silver Member

Post Number: 157
For what you plan to do with your system, Sony is fine Matt. I would also advise you to look at CV as Paul said though.

People here tend to listen to a lot of classical, jazz, etc which takes a different kind of loudspeaker than what you are in the market for. Don't worry about it.

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1181
Matt,

It's hard for me (perhaps not the others) to guess at what you want. You seemed to be saying you wanted the ultimate bass possible, yet have a $400 budget (I see it's more that that), and were considering a Sony sub... It's hard to compute.

Is overall sound quality important to you? (on a low budget, we often decide between bad bass and no bass)
Is soundstaging and imaging important to you? (it might not be if the type of music you listen to doesn't usually project much of it anyway)

I think a Hsu STF-1 would fill such a small space nicely and go low enough for most music (but not for movies, which is not your concern anyway). That goes for $299 and you might find a cheaper B-stock unit.

Then I'd probably mate that with bookshelf speakers and crossover at 80 Hz or so. If you use speaker level wire to the sub and then on to the speakers, the crossover frequency is variable and set using a dial on the sub.

Post Number: 7
As for you, Paul, are you sure that that Cerwin-vega speaker will give me enough bass? Also, which receiver should that speaker be paired with?

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 578
well then you can get the stf-1. jesus christ do some research of your own. sony sucks because they dont put any money into speaker development. they use cheap drivers and slap them on to a box and charge like $200 a pop. like mentioned in another thread you started there are better options than sony in terms of speakers.

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1182
Yeah DA, but the small Hsu STF-1 would likely yield all the bass he desires on that space. Don't you think? And it would be cleaner bass than from a Sony sub...

Silver Member

Post Number: 159
Matt: The CV's will probably go as loud as the Sony's with 1/10th the power. On top of that, their bass extension is superior to the HSU STF-1 sub that Peter mentioned.

Post Number: 8
That Cerwin Vega speaker does look really cool. I have never heard it, though. But, I need to know. Which receiver should that speaker be paired with? Onkyo? Denon? How many watt should that speaker be fed at minimum? Range of choice is between 50-100 watts per channel.

Silver Member

Post Number: 160
Peter: I'm guessing we are dealing with a teenager who listens to a lot of (pick one) heavy metal/rap/techno. Sony will work. I would prefer CV over Sony though.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1920
Matt,
In your budget, these will play louder and have more bass than anything you will find. What do you want in a speaker??? Are you looking to blast some ACDC at mindnumbing levels, or are you looking for a refined speaker that will accurately play chamber music and jazz instrumentals??

From your origional question, it sounds like you want to rock the house. Before buying anything, I'd recommend googling a retailer to listen to them for yourself. As for what receiver??? Once again, that depends what you want it to do.

Post Number: 9
Actually, I listen to Oldies, Country, and Top-40, but I like a lot of bass. I know it might sound unusual, but that's me. Which receiver should that CV be paired with? Also, can the CV pound out lots of bass even at low-to-moderate volume levels? The reason I ask this is because my parents nap every Sunday, and if the speakers do not have enough bass at low volume levels, then they will sound tinny at low volume levels. I do thank you all for your help.

Post Number: 10
I do like to blast my music when nobody's home, though.

Silver Member

Post Number: 161
Get a receiver with a "loudness" button. That will take care of bass at low volumes.

As for which reciever, take your pick. 50 watts with that speaker will be enough to rock the neighborhood.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
Awesome! As for a receiver with a loudness button, I have not been able to find one.

Silver Member

Post Number: 162
Well just get a receiver that will let you turn up the bass + treble. Pretty much the same effect. I have an old TEAC receiver with a loudness button, but I don't know how popular it is anymore. I would think lower end Pioneers and the like would have them though...

Silver Member

Post Number: 163
Ehh here is one from Jandr.com that does just as an example. I'm sure if you look around you'll find something that appeals to you.

http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=4029706

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 581
i doubt he has been doing that much looking on his own. it seems like ecoustics is his only form of information.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1924
Just about any $200 entry level receiver should allow you to rock the house. I'd lean towards a pioneer or yammi because they offer a decent value in that pricerange.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
Christopher Lee, I do look around. I just have not heard a Cerwin Vega before.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1928
If you go to their website, you can do a dealer search, and see if anybody sells them nearby.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
I tried that, but to no avail. What now?

Silver Member

Post Number: 165
Largely up to you. You can try them from our word of mouth or you can look at other alternatives. The KLH Rave series comes to mind.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
"On a low budget, we decide between bad bass and no bass."-Peter Galbraith

Well, guys, if I were to decide between bad bass and no bass at all, I would go with big, bad bass, since my ears are sentivive in the 1-4 kHz region, and I take it that bad bass means booming bass. If my stereo does not pound out enough bass, then I find it hard to get involved with the music, and the system sounds bland. To me, listening to a stereo with no bass is like eating a salad without salad dressing! I am bass-hungry!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
Also, will a pair of towers and a sub have more bass than a pair of bookshelves with a sub? This also must be taken into account: the subwoofer's level will be turned all the way up. Is there much of a difference in terms of bass quanitity between a bookshelf/sub combo and a tower/sub combo, or is the difference nearly unnoticeable with the sub turned up all the way?

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1195
Don't turn a sub all the way up. It won't be balanced...

Perhaps you should buy the CVs and forget the sub. Use the bass control on the receiver to add as much as you like.

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 584
peter just let him do what he wants. when he blows the cheap sub he'll learn his lesson.

Silver Member
Username: Stu_pitt

NYC, NY

Post Number: 409
I'd suggest CV's and a refurbished Harman/Kardon stereo receiver from either e-bay or harmonaudiooutlet.com. In the outlet it retails for $177, I don't know what it will go for on e-bay. It will be a hell of a lot louder and cleaner than his KLH receiver, and any thing else near that price range, not to mention it'll take a beating.

If no CV's are available, JBL's.

Bronze Member
Username: Stevizard

Indianapolis, Indiana USA

Post Number: 13
Matt,

You asked, "will a pair of towers and a sub have more bass than a pair of bookshelves with a sub?"

I've got to ask if you've ever really listened to music played through a decent sound system at all? The answer to your question is obvious. I'm beginning to wonder if you're "putting us on".

Everyone is trying to help you but here's what you need to do. Just go to a big electronics store and listen to a couple of different sets of speakers, then buy the one that sounds best to you. You know, the one with a lot of bass.

That's it, nuff said, just do it.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us