NAD amps, not sure which one to choose...please help

Username: Sterng

Post Number: 1
Hello folks,

I own an ancient NAD receiver that served me very well for ~12 years (the 701, bought it as a kid) and I'm thinking of replacing it - yes, NAD again (the old guy is dyeing...).

The rest of the setup holds the Dynaudio Audience 52 and the NAD c520 CD (very pleased from these two as well).

I'm considering the following models: c320bee, c352 and c372.
First thoughts were to go for the c372 but I have doubts if I should spend the extra $$$ for the extra watts (is it much more in this beast comparing to the others?).

Considering the rest of the setup, which amp you think I should go for and why? (I can spend the money on the c372 but I do not have to ;-)

BTW, I listen to FM so I will buy a tuner too. Thought of the c422 (sticking to NAD), thoughts?

Thanks,
Guy

Silver Member
Username: Gman

Mt. Pleasant, SC

Post Number: 346
If you want an integrated stereo amplifier am sure the NAD c352 has plenty of power for stereo operation of the Dynaudio's. Obviously, if the price differential wouldn't hurt your wallet too much, I would get the c372.

Personally, I would probably wait until Outlaw Audio will be releasing the RR 2150 stereo receiver. This unit looks like it will be an excellent stereo receiver, with at least 75 watts/channel into 8 ohms and probably around 125 watts/channel into 4 ohms. I am considering buying this piece for my office when it is released in a couple of months.

I presume you have no intention of going to surround on this set-up of yours. If you were considering going surround getting a T753 or T763 would be a good idea.

Username: Sterng

Post Number: 2
Gregory,

Thanks for the advice. Leaving the power aside, do you think the c352 and c372 will match in their sound performance? (Considering the speakers I have). In other words will a non-pro person will be able to hear the difference with speakers of this level?

And yup, I have no intention going for a surround system.

Thanks,
Guy Stern ;-)

Silver Member
Username: Gman

Mt. Pleasant, SC

Post Number: 347
I am reasonably sure the only difference would be on blasting the loudspeakers to clipping point. And that is presuming the loudspeaker won't distort badly before the amps clip. Otherwise, they will sound indistinguishable from each other.

Certainly if you want to buy NAD for stereo at a reasonable price, either integrated amp is the way to go. You can always add a NAD tuner or a good used tuner off of audiogon.com at a later date.

As for myself, I am looking forward to getting the new Outlaw Audio RR2150 stereo receiver, which should be released by summer.

The preliminary price will be between $549-$599 and the preliminary basic specs are as follows:

Power: 2x75 watts per channel at 8 ohms, 20 Hz -- 20 KHz, 0.07% THD, both channels driven.

2x130 watts per channel at 4 ohms, 20 Hz -- 20KHz, 0.07% THD, both channels driven.

Inputs: Tuner, Video, DVD/CD, Tape, Aux, USB, Front Panel Aux.

Outputs: Stereo L/R preamp outputs, L/R tape output.

Processor Loop: In/Out via RCA Jacks.

USB Input: Plug 'n' Play compatible with PC and Macintosh audio.

Tuner: High sensitivity, 30 preset memories.

Bass Management: Analog bass management and re-direction with subwoofer output, defeatable via rear-panel switch.

Remote: Programmable four device (including RR 2150) system remote. IR In/Out jacks for system control
Power Cord: IEC Removable Type
Dimensions (HxWxD): 6" x 17.25" x 22"

Username: Xenomorph

Ohio

Post Number: 1
Greg, Please check your messages, thanks!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us