Deadly Plasma Drivers

Bronze Member
Username: Lovegasoline

NYC

Post Number: 18
I 'm reading an almost 20yr old source & it mentions Ionovac & Plasmatronic plasma drivers. The book states that a demonstration of the Threshold Speaker @ the CES (Consumer Electronics Show) in Vegas put the designer, Nelson Pass, straight into the hospital.
"In a Wall Street Journal news piece, Pass humourously reported that his plasma speakers had the three qualities desired by most audiophiles -- it was ridiculously expensive, poisonous, and unavailible!!"
DId anything become of the technology?

Silver Member
Username: Diablo

Fylde Coast, England

Post Number: 200
May only be available on a do-it-yourself basis.

Username: Matt1234

Post Number: 4
Poisonous speakers? I have never heard of any such thing.

Silver Member
Username: Nuck

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 115
Quick post Diablo,danke.
Some real sick individuals out there.
I like it!

Silver Member
Username: Nuck

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 116
Sorry, I forgot.
ONE POINT TWENTY-ONE JIGAWATTS!

Bronze Member
Username: Lovegasoline

NYC

Post Number: 23
From the horse's mouth:

'The Wall Street Journal printed my comment:

"It was the perfect high end audio product: Exotic, inefficient, expensive, unavailable, and toxic.".'

grassyass Diablo

Anyone have first hand experience?
What's the point?

Silver Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 729
Plasma technology was dangerous because the plasma drive unit created a great deal of ozone which could (and did) cause asphyxiation. I remember Max Townshend displaying a pair of plasma tweeters some years ago. These were made in Switzerland IIRC and they were sweet as a nut. They used a fair amount of power and you could see the purple glow of the plasma in their horn loaded throats. The makers claimed they had got around the ozone problem by causing some kind of chemical reaction after it was formed (it might even have been burned off by heat). Nobody fainted in that dem room over the two days, so it seemed ok. Sonically they were spectacular.

The point of plasma drivers is that they have vanishingly low mass. An ordinary tweeter was meant to be several orders heavier. In a sense, it was an electrostatic speaker with a massless diaphragm. So in theory they were close to perfect. In practice the model Max was displaying was meant to have a response up to 150khz which even modern supertweeters can't come close to.Max has gone on to make his own supertweeters based on ribbon technology so I don't know what became of the ones he had been displaying all those years ago (must be early/mid nineties).

Regards,
Frank.

Silver Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 401
A friend had a pair of Hill Type Plasmatronics back in the seventies...one of the most bizarre and amazing audio experiences I've had. He eventually sold them as changing the helium tank was a pain. To borrow a phrase from Frank, sonically they were spectacular.....

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=de&u=http://www.plasmatweeter.de/ plasmatronic.htm&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dplasmatronic%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26sa%3DG

The plasma generated everything above 400Hz, as I recall. In his large and well ventilated room the ozone was not a problem.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us