Polk R50 vs Athena AS-F1.2

Bronze Member
Username: Raks

Post Number: 13
Hi,

Can you please let me know your opinion about which one of these are better speakers for Home Theater and Music. I listen to them 50:50. The speakers will be driven by either Marantz SR-5500 (or) HK AVR 635.

Polk R50 - $70/each
Athena AS-F1.2 - $115/each

I will be going with 4 floor standers with either speaker choice. Please let me know your valuable suggestions.

Thanks

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 1474
Athenas, by a long shot.

The AS-F2s are even better but they are usually $400/pair.

Silver Member
Username: Twebbz

Ann Arbor, Michigan USA

Post Number: 221
Where are you considering getting the Athenas from?

Silver Member
Username: Touche6784

USA

Post Number: 571
you are doing those recievers some serious injustice.

Gold Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1168
That is a strange ratio of receiver cost to speaker cost to me as well. I spend way more on speakers than on the receiver...

Silver Member
Username: Touche6784

USA

Post Number: 574
whats even wierder is how much obsseion he put to choosing his reciever. he even had the marantz sr 8400 in his list. imagine that beast hooked up to best buy crap. might as well go to radioshack and pick up a pair of RCAs.

Silver Member

Ann Arbor, Michigan USA

Post Number: 222
The Athenas would be the ones to go with. I don't think you can get them for the price you say and still buy from an authorized dealer. Beware of www.bestpriceaudiovideo.com. They won't let you return them if you don't like them or even if they are defective. www.audioadvisor.com has them for $179 each, I think. They are not available at BEST BUY.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
Rick,

To answer your question....Amazon.com had a deal on AS-F1.2 for the last two days for $115/each and I am assuming Amazon.com might be an authorized dealer. Unfortunately the deal already expired.

Raks

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
Peter & Christopher,

Thanks for letting me know your honest opinion. It may sound strange ...But I totally agree with your opinion. I am doing in-justice to those recievers. But I will explain my position.

I am into research of home theater stuff for quiet a few years, but I always wanted to set up a dream system once I move to my own HOUSE. Since I stay in an Apt at this point of time, I intially started my shopping thinking of going with a HTIB like Onkyo 760B as my budget was tight. Then I came across BBS posts that said you can do much better for the same budget + $200 with separate speakers and recievers. So I thought of giving it a shot rather than a HTIB.

The moment I saw the deal of $70/ea for a Polk R50 I bought 4 of them. Now I am trying to find a reciever to set up this system. That completes my long drawn search of an entry level Home Theater / Stereo system.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
All,

I need a favour from you.

Can you please suggest a few affordable Speakers for Marantz SR-5500 / HK AVR 635 recievers ? My Budget for 5 speakers ( 2 front, 2 rear, 1 center ) is $800. I will take care of the Sub Woofer separately. I like Warm Music and my usage is 50:50 Home theater and Stereo.

I still have 1 more week to return my un-opened Polk R50s. I will highly appreciate your opinion and suggestions.

Thanks

Raks

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
Can anyone help me in this quest please ?

Raks

Silver Member
Username: Danman

QUEBEC CANADA

Post Number: 466
Wharfedale Diamond 9 series.

Silver Member
Username: T_bomb25

Dayton, Ohio United States

Post Number: 617
First of all RG dont open the Polks and return them.First of all since you listen to %50 I am gonna try and point you to the more musical direction I would not worry about the 2 rears right now you can get them later,and work on your fronts and your center channel.Danmans suggestions are some of the best out there for the price,but im gonna give you a few options just in case.Check out the Epos Els seies,Totem Dreamcatchers,Psb image seies,Paradigm performance series you may be able to get all the pieces with them,the Ifinity Primis series the same way,I went and heard them because of a couple of reviews and they were quite impressive for the money,and they were running a deal in Crutchfield on the Ifinities last month you can check and see if they still are,but you can go hear them at Circuit City and if you talk to a manager you can get a good deal,just do a little wheeling and dealing.So check out these options and get back to us if you have any more questions.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 21
Danman & Tawaun,

Can you please suggest which version of Diamonds I need to check out and what is the best price you heard for them till now. I appreciate your help

Raks

Silver Member
Username: T_bomb25

Dayton, Ohio United States

Post Number: 641
The 9.1s avoid the 9.2s its always been the acilles hell for the Diamond line.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 22
Tawaun,

Thansk for letting me know. Looks like 9.1s are bookshelf. Are there any good Floor standers in that series that you recommend ?

Raks

Raven_1
Unregistered guest
You are going to need a lot of power for Warfendals!

They are power-hungry beast; had a 95W Reciever with mine and it was simply not enough power to drive them.

Bronze Member
Username: Rsxman

Post Number: 36
Um I dont get why Athena's are best buy crap. Best buy is a shitty place but they sell some good equipment. All the reviews I have ever read on Athenas was completely positive in every aspect...so please inform me why you think they suck?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 23
Tawaun,

Can you let me know about floor standers from wharedale ?

Raks

Silver Member

Ann Arbor, Michigan USA

Post Number: 223
Raks, Grab some of your favorite CDs and head out to a few audio stores including Best Buy and Circuit City. You need to do some comparison shopping. Let your ears and wallet be your guide. Take your time and have fun. Don't let salesmen pressure you into buying anything.

Silver Member

Ann Arbor, Michigan USA

Post Number: 224
Eric...I doubt these guys ever heard Athenas in their own homes backed up with good equipment.

A couple professional reviews of the AS-F2...

http://www.athenaspeakers.com/awardImages/ASF2%20Stereophile%20final.pdf

Bronze Member

Post Number: 25
Can anyone let me know good floor standers from Wharfedale 9 Series ?

Silver Member

Ann Arbor, Michigan USA

Post Number: 225
Here's a review of the Diamond 9.6

www.bwspeakers.com
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us