Bose 161's good choice?

Username: Krazymofo24

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 1
I'm 20 in school and stay with my parents. I have a medium sized room, most of the space is taking up by my 32inch TV my PC and my bed. I can't spend $800+ on speakers right now. Little less then a year ago I bought the Onkyo HT-s570 which came with a 5.1 system and a 600 watt reciever. I upgraded my fronts and bought a pair Bose 161's for $159. When I get more money I will buy the Klispch C-1 Center Speaker for $169, and then a pair of Klipsh B-2's if I have little more money I might go with the B-3's or Bose v301's for $320 for my fronts. Is this the right choice for my room and around this price range? I know everyone hear hates Bose, but they sound better than a pair of Polk r15's at the same price. I would have rather gotten the B-2's, but didnt quite have enough. A better pair of speakers for around $160 then the Bose 161's?

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 1468
Athena AS-B2s for $150/pair from audioadvisor.com will positively crush the 161s. (They usually go for $250/pair.)

Silver Member
Username: T_bomb25

Dayton, Ohio United States

Post Number: 589
Save money and gain performance the pursuit of a good deal just dont cross the picket line!

Bronze Member
Username: Rikmeister

Hometown, Pa Usa

Post Number: 33
john you are mixing timbre on the front. you will regret it. the three fronts should be the same brand and model range. do not mix. you are looking for bargains but in the end you will have KRAP. now if you listen to KRAP music it will be fine. You can pay the piper now or pay him later and it will always cost more later.

Bronze Member
Username: Krazymofo24

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 13
I decided to get the polk rti4's and the csi3. next upgrade will either be a sub or surrounds. I chose rti4 over the klipsch b-2's.

Silver Member
Username: Cheapskate

Post Number: 230
absolutely NOT!

bose speakers are more gimmickry than real hifi. they have sold $1000 speakers that don't even have real tweeters (901s)

when i went to an "electronics dept. store" to buy my 1st pair of real speakers, i didn't like the sound of ANY of the bose speakers. i liked the $250pr of JBL 6 1/2" two ways more than the top of the line bose speakers.

you'd get alot more value for your money from a respected brand that makes tried and true traditional woofer/tweeter speakers.

you'll get much better sound for the same money with

energy
paradigm
psb
epos
wharfdale
definative technology
or
nht

and even
boston acoustics
infinity
jbl
or
cambridge

will give you more bang for your dollar.

the ONLY speaker brand i hate more than bose is klipsch. LOL

MCK
Unregistered guest
Do not underestimate Jensen in budget system. Don't be fooled by the price. A pair of $25 Jensen really put Bose 201's to shame.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us