Denon 4806 compared to NAD 773 and/or Marantz 9600

Bronze Member
Username: Dary

Sao Paulo Brazil

Post Number: 68
Has anyone had the chance to compare the Denon 4806 to NAD or Marantz top of the line receivers?
Thanks

Silver Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 234
Dary I think your post is very general. People might be better able to answer specific questions about these receivers. These receivers are pretty high end. It is unlikely that many people have had the chance to compare them side by side.

Bronze Member

Sao Paulo Brazil

Post Number: 69
Stof,
I understand your point, but I wanted to know exactly that: if someone got a chance to compare these products. I have a good offer on the 4806 and wanted to know if it is worth the (large) investment. I know it is more expensive than NAD or Marantz top equipment, but I couldn't find any review.
Thanks

anonymousII
Unregistered guest
The new Denon 3806 and 4806 are not out in the stores yet. The 4806 is expensive but the Marantz 9600 is more so and lists for $4200. It is new also and my dealer does not stock it and I have seen no reviews. There are new Elite's coming out soon also so with them and the Denon's and the Yamaha 4600 and supposedly new 2600 it should be intereting in the next few months.

Username: Anino1

Post Number: 9
4806's are in stores. saw one in good guys just yesterday, listing for $3100.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1504
For that much money you should be buying quality seperates.

Bronze Member

Sao Paulo Brazil

Post Number: 70
Art,
Problem is there aren't many options on separates where I live at this price range.
Anyway, what would you buy with $3000?
Thanks,
Dary

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 1557
For $3K this is what I'd get for HT:

http://www.northamptonaudio.com/nad/potentpair.asp

http://www.saturdayaudio.com/index.html

Bronze Member

Sao Paulo Brazil

Post Number: 71
> http://www.northamptonaudio.com/nad/potentpair.asp

>http://www.saturdayaudio.com/index.html

If I could get those prices down here it would be my choice.
Thanks anyway

Silver Member
Username: Gman

Mt. Pleasant, SC

Post Number: 701
If you listen to DVD-A and SACD and watch considerable DVD's I would definitely get the Denon 4806, or other similarly equipped receiver. It has firewire, Denon-link, and HDMI connections, whereas most separate preamps don't have the latest digital connections (if any currently do). Plus both HDMI and firewire are likely to be compatible with the upcoming HD discs (Blu-Ray and HD).

Firewire allows a universal DVD player (equipped with firewire and/or HDMI) to pass in original digital form the data to a receiver equipped with firewire and/or HDMI. As receiver processing takes place in digital it makes far more sense to keep the signal in original digital form until it plays through the speakers. Plus almost every dvd player with HDMI connected to an HDMI equipped HDTV performs better in the video realm than component connections.

The latest iteration of HDMI passes at least 5.1 audio besides video and firewire passes at least 7.1 audio and both will be the connections of the future--particularly HDMI. Don't get yourself boxed in by limiting yourself to component connections, unless all you do is listen to stereo.

Plus you can connect an IPOD, MP3 player, or your computer to the Denon through firewire or USB. And I am pretty sure the Denon has USB in addition to firewire. Plus there are other consumer electronics (video cams, digital still cameras, etc.) that connect via USB and firewire.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1520
The Rotel processor and power amp makes a killer home theater value and so does the NAD set.

Silver Member
Username: Ziggyzoggyoioi

Outside Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 104
Gregory... this is a few months old, and I'm not sure how much has been settled in the interim, but I would hate to make a decision on a $3k AVR based on its HDMI capabilities until things are completely resolved:

"Q. Why does the Model 990 have DVI switching instead of HDMI?

A. At this time we believe that the more stable DVI format is a more appropriate choice, since it is well established and totally compatible with HDMI from a video standpoint. Unfortunately, HDMI is still a moving target, with the 1.2 specifications still awaiting final release. More importantly, there is a big unknown regarding the specifications of the "next" version of HDMI that will allow transport of Dolby Digital Plus and DTS-HD data streams. (Indeed, the actual specs for the two codecs, themselves, have not been released either.) At this time it is impossible for the Outlaws or anyone else to know if a hardware, rather than software upgrade will be required to accommodate those two new formats on HDMI and with existing DSP engines. Quite frankly, we preferred to select a viable digital video format that is useable today rather than risk a high-cost solution that appears not to be ready for prime time."

Also, I don't really see what benefit there is in connecting an IPOD, MP3 player, or any lossy format via USB or Firewire. Crap in is crap out regardless of the connection. Certainly there is a benefit to connecting a computer with lossless media content via USB.

Also, I don't believe SACD is supported via Firewire at all.

Silver Member

Post Number: 243
BTW that sale you notice on the Saturday Audio Exchange website is not a fluke. I was there this past Saturday and they are ready to deal out this stuff.

Username: Anino1

Post Number: 10
stof--

i didn't find the 4806 on a website, they are on the shelves at your local Good Guys. originally priced near $3500, but marked down to $3100. online, it's offered for even less. these guys are offering it for $2800.

http://www.elegantaudiovideo.com/product_info.php?products_id=587

Bronze Member
Username: Agimat

Post Number: 92
also don't forget the Arcam AVR300.

MarcUR
Unregistered guest
i would be very cautious with elegantaudiovideo. The US Arcam distributor actually lists them on their website under the scam alert. Apparently they have been involved in selling used products as new and selling products with fradulent serial numbers which null the warranty.

Silver Member
Username: Gman

Mt. Pleasant, SC

Post Number: 702
Ziggy-

I would never make a receiver decision based solely on HDMI. But since HDMI passes the same quality video signal as DVI, I see little credible reason not to have it. Plus, it is almost a certainty that HDMI and firewire will be involved in future HD dvd players and other consumer electronics (while component connections are dubious). If your receiver is software upgradeable (as a number of high end receivers are), getting the latest iterations of HDMI should pose no problem. Plus, anyone with a receiver that has firewire-i-link (along with a dvd player so equipped) can pass all the digital data now. So if one is dissatisfied about not having the latest iteration of HDMI (or if they have DVI), just use the video portion (although with DVI, that is all there is) and port the audio with a single and simple firewire. The Burr Brown 1792 DACS pass SACD in full blown form (and I wouldn't be suprised if there were others). A number of higher end receivers are equipped with i-Link(Audio) ports which include DTCP serial copy protection technology for hi-res audio transmission and some dvd players and some new receivers/dvd players now have the proper DACS to successfully port fullblown SACD.

As far as IPOD (or other MP3 players)sounding crappy, that may be true if you don't record them in lossless formats. FLAC is available for free on MP3's and "Apple Lossless" is also available on IPOD. But one can also record in higher bit rates than usual to improve performance. Heck, people listen to their tuner sections all the time and the quality of those is nothing to generally cheer about. Having a firewire and/or USB connection is a great tool for system playback of digital music collections at parties or gatherings (whether from computer, MP3, or IPOD). Parties and gatherings normally aren't optimal for critical listening anyway. It is far better to have system playback than having 20 people dancing with IPODS and ear buds on their heads! Or having people be denied from hearing some new music because of a lapse in audiophile etiquette.

I find having a dvd player and a receiver with firewire to be a great convenience and offers the best performance. The receiver recognizes immediately what type of disc is being played, plus you don't have to buy any expensive component cable connections. Plus, i-link (firewire) is jitter-free, can daisy chain up to 17 components, passes all digital media, and is ready for the future.

I think the new Outlaw receiver is wonderful at its pricepoint. But for those that want to be as prepared as possible for future offerings down the audio/video trail--I think if one can afford it, it is best to be prepared, rather than disappointed.

Heck--I can't wait to get the retro stereo Outlaw receiver with USB when it is released. Be ideal for my office.

Bronze Member
Username: Stradivari

Post Number: 11
Quick feedback...
Agree, the Saturday Audio guys are trustworthy and have great people skills....definitely one of the few Internet sources for audio gear that I would recommend.

Silver Member
Username: Ziggyzoggyoioi

Outside Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 106
Good points Gregory... I had forgotten that in this thread the discussion was on the upgradeable 4806, which does make a difference. It really all comes down to need. My PJ supports DVI, so HDMI was never a consideration for me.

And I wasn't trying to dissuade the orginal poster from the 4806 either.. Given a choice between the 2 in question, I would never spend my own money on a NAD AVR.

But Art said it... for that much money, separates are the way to go - NAD, Rotel, Outlaw, Emotiva, Adcom, etc.

Silver Member

Post Number: 244
Dary for you or anyone else interested, Ubid has refurbished Marantz 7400 which has HDMI and firewire ports for $429. This is a great deal on a receiver which is normally around $1,000.

I don't know if you can get them to ship to Brazil

Anonymous

Rubbish! There is no Marantz 7400 AVR with HDMI and Firewire. The only Marantz with these options is the new SR9600 @ over $4,000.

Silver Member

Post Number: 249
You are correct Anon. Someone else raised this question and though this item is clearly listed as features on the Ubid site:

http://www.ubid.com/actn/opn/getpage.asp?AuctionId=10470895

There is not any mention of it in the user documentation for the SR7400.

I have not seen Ubid screw up like that before. I wonder if somehow they got the wrong information from their supplier.

Anonymous

Stof,

I may have been a little harsh in tone in the previous message. Seems like a genuine mistake on your part for quoting from the details at Ubid. Howqever, in looking at the Ubid posting, it appears to be a list of possible AVR features but without an indication of which ones pertain to the 7400 (a broken/incomplete table perhaps).

Bronze Member

Sao Paulo Brazil

Post Number: 72
First of all, thanks to everyone!

It's a difficult decision as I have little (or no) chance to hear the equipment before buying. The system will be used to play mostly DVD shows and DVD-A (I plan to add a Denon 1920 player). I'll check if there is a way to get those Saturday Audio offers within an acceptable total cost.

Silver Member

Post Number: 252
Anon

No harm done. I sent Ubid an e-mail and noticed that they took it off. Like I said, usually they are pretty good at their detail posting.

Bronze Member
Username: Jorge59

Rio de JaneiroBrasil

Post Number: 39
Dary,

I also live in Brasil (RJ). Recently bought top quality receiver and speakers without listening before. I'd never do that again. Great equipment, flawless speakers, but just not the sound I expected.

Username: Knownalien

Post Number: 1
you can get the 4806 from the cheapest Authorized dealer at Dakmart.com. I understand their stuff is either back stock or refurb but they all come with a 1 year warranty. can anyone give me a reason not to buy from them? I already bought the Denon 2805 from them, but I too want the 4806.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us