Stereo Amp querries....

Username: Denrik

Post Number: 1
Hey people,
I have a philips mini hifi system, and i wana see if i can do stuff.
The amp of the stereo is as follows-
Output power- 5500 W PMPO
2 x 165 W RMS
Signal to noise ratio- less than or equal to 75 dBA (IEC)
Frequency response 50-18000Hz -3dB

Output- Speakers- less than or equal to 6 ohms

On the back it has two red and black ports for speakers.

I wana see if anyone knows wether i can set up a car sub and multiple speakers onto it. And if so, what specs would the sub and speakers have to be.

Can people please email me with any info- Cheers.
Dan

Silver Member
Username: Cheapskate

Post Number: 207
not really.
your system has pretty lousy specs to begin with. even cheap recievers have at least 80dB SN on just phono inputs!

90dB is probably the bare minimum for a line level SN ratio.

50-18K? that's another particularly bad spec. virtually EVERY reciever should be +-3dB to 20k and most are extended to at least 40Hz in the bass. an amp that can only go down to 50Hz means a subwoofer would be useless.

typically subs work in the 20-50Hz range where smaller speakers can't play and usually only go upt to 80-100Hz at the highest.

you're just not going to get anything truly "hi-fi" out of that system ever.

try scrapping it altogether and getting a $200 reciever (with preamp or subwoofer outs) and a nice pair of $200 minimonitors.

you wonn't believe how much clearer sound you get with real tweeters, a decent amp and no more plastic box resonances.

what you're proposing is pretty much buying $2000 wheels and a $5000 paint job for a yugo.

if you REALLY want to get the most out of your current system... buy a $100 pair of headphones.

sorry if this sounds harsh... but you're starting out with weak links all around to begin with.

if nothing else... toss your speakers and buy a nice pair of low impedence (rare) 6 1/2" two way monitor speakers.

shelf speakers suck most vigorously. thin plastic is probably THE WORST cabinet to put a speaker in.

Silver Member

Post Number: 216
you CAN hook a sub up if you buy a
"passive subwoofer crossover" but you might have a problem doing that as your speakers sound like 6 ohms while most crossovers are designed to work at either 4 or 8 ohms.

instead of worrying about a sub... get a nice pair of real speakers as your first upgrade then upgrade your amplification THEN go for a sub.

if you bought a full range pair of speakers (more money of course) you might not even need a sub.

Unregistered guest
could anyone suggest me a good pair of floorstanding speakers for Yamaha AX 596 stereo amp within $400

Silver Member

Post Number: 228
you might be able to find small paradigm floorstanders for that amount. they have some nice affordable speakers.

$400 is on the EXTREMELY cheap side for floor standing speakers if you want high quality.

you might get more bang for your buck with a minimonotor.

at the $400 point for a full range pair... you're alot more likely to run into cheesy cabinets to meet that price point.

another "bargain priced" possibility is cambridge audio works. they have decent well reviewed speakers for very low prices.

if you absolutely MUST have top quality for your $400, go to ebay and buy a pair of used speakers. you can get speakers for awesome prices if you're patient and they'll already be broken in when you get them.

just make sure you read all the fine print and check the sellers feedback and NEVER buy anything with cash or check.

if you want NEW speakers for $400 or less, stereophile gave "epos ELS-3" $330 minimonitors a full class C rating over speakers over lower class speakers 3X their price.

minimonitors are the best value in hi-fi.

their smaller cabinets = lower levels of resonance and better imaging
and
once you get a subwoofer for true full range listening, you can much better tune your bass to your room than you can with full range speakers.

if it were me, i'd spring for the epos and a $100 pair of sand (or lead) fillable metal stands.

go to this websites review section and look in the floor standing category to see what cheap speakers have gotten favorable reviews. i've only looked in the bookshelf section myself, so i'm not that up on bargain floorstanders.

there are MANY 6 1/2" 2 way speakers that have very nice bass output unless you absolutely must have a gut massage.

Silver Member

Post Number: 229
regardless of what kind of speaker you end up getting, these are some name brands you should keep your eye open for in "most bang for your buck" category as they all make decent budget speakers... some of them like the high rated epos i mention are absolute steals for the money

energy
paradigm (2 canadian brands... canada = value?)
epos
psb
nht
definative technology
and
wharfdale

and these brands are decent and often have dirt cheap speakers (eg. under $100)
polk
infinity
cambridge
boston acoustics

i've never heard anyone accuse any of these brands of sucking rotten eggs. LOL
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us