SNR Question

Bug
Unregistered guest
I have an old Sony Receiver that produces some background noise when listening to anything at low volume levels. I can hear it from anywhere in the room...not just with my ear to the speaker. Is this directly proportional to the receivers signal-to-noise ratio or is it something else? I can't stand watching quiet parts of a movie and hearing white noise coming from my speakers. FYI...I have Paradigm Monitor 5, CC-370, ADP-370 and PW1200 running 14ga wire and digital coax (shouldn't be an issue with that stuff). Any thoughts?

Thanks
Bug

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1407
Buy a new receiver. Even a Marantz SR5500 will give you enough power without the noise. Sony receivers aren't so good. I used to own a very similar speaker package with the Monitor 5's and they sounded very good.

CoolieBoy
Unregistered guest
Wudd up...

Quick question... just want some reviews as to whether you guys think the sound system i bought was any good...

Polk Audio RTi12
CSi3
Rti4
Velodyne DPS Sub
HK AVR-635

lemmie know what you guys think

Silver Member
Username: Jimvm

Louisiana U.S.A.

Post Number: 157
Bug - Like Art said, Sony's not noted for manufacturing top notch receivers; at least not until you get into their ES line. This is coming from a Sony owner who's shopping for something else. Get a new receiver -- lots of decent receivers out there for not too much money.

CoolieBoy - I think you'd get some pertinent replies if you started your own thread. That's what I think.

Bug
Unregistered guest
Thanks guys

What kinda of receiver would you recommend for my setup?...say in the 500 dollar range.

Thanks again
Bug

Silver Member
Username: Dloweman

Post Number: 126
Bug,
check out the pioneer vsx1015, highly recommended for its value, and i just got one to go with my monitor 7's, cc370 and titans. Other than that, check out the denon 1905/2105, yamaha 650,750

anonymousII
Unregistered guest
A Yamaha 1500 would be a perfect match with your Paradigm's. Since it can be had for under $550 I would not go any lower in the Yamaha line.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1419
A Marantz or HK in that price range would outperform the Yamaha by a wide margin.

Username: Fnegroni

Post Number: 3
I just recently got a NAD t743 which has loads of background white noise.
I am returning it tomorrow.
Some noise is acceptable, as long as you can't her it father than a foot from the speakers. Any more and that's a manufacturing defect, usually down to some bad soldering or shielding.

Silver Member
Username: Dmwiley

Post Number: 965
CoolieBoy, I think your system sucks or I think your system is second to none. Take your pick. My point is, why should it matter what others think as long as you are happy with your purchase? Is your ego that fragile?

Bug
Unregistered guest
I just bought the Yamaha 5890 and there is a significant difference in background noise compared to my old Sony. I actually can't believe how big the difference is. I had to hear it to believe it. Thanks for the replies.

Bug

Username: Steelhrd

Post Number: 4
i here all of you guys bad mouth the yammie 2500 but i don't have a hissy noisey reciever. i mean doesn't that sound bother you. how can you call that a quality sound.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us