Opinions Wanted: 2-way monitors under $1K

Silver Member
Username: Timn8ter

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 411
What do you folks feel are some of the better 2-way monitors in this price range? I'm looking for examples of monitors capable of full range quality reproduction. I saw a review for the Audio Note 2 Signature but noted that it requires a sub. Any others?

Silver Member
Username: Dakulis

Spokane, Washington United States

Post Number: 349
Tim,

I know that Jan has (very rarely do you see Jan caught on paper I might add) recommended the NSM Audio 5s (goes down to 65hz, and he especially likes the 10s, but that's out of this price range. You already have the Ascends coming for your review. I would be interested to have somebody audition the NSM and Ascends and Lings and T-Man can throw in his Epiphonys. That would be a great shoot out.

Silver Member
Username: Devils_advocate

Post Number: 126
Dave: I think he is looking at competition for Emma. I'm thinking about stuff like the GMA Europa which is just at the 1k mark. I can't think of too many full range 2-way monitors though.

Silver Member

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 412
You are right DA.

Silver Member
Username: Joe_c

Oakwood, Ga

Post Number: 806
Give the Totem Rainmakers a try.

Silver Member

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 413
I see the Europa is priced at $1695. Is it cheaper somewhere?
Totem Rainmakers, gotcha.

Silver Member

Post Number: 129
Thats the Europa Max; the regular is 995.

http://www.greenmountainaudio.com/Europa.htm

Another competitor in the price range is the Ohm Microwalsh Tall.

Silver Member

Post Number: 130
Either way I think a true 30Hz extension will beat out any bookshelf I can think of.

Gold Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 1783
Devils,

Hey c'mon....SDAT makes several 'micro' bookshelf speakers, and all are rated down to 20hz.

'laugh'

Silver Member

Post Number: 132
True enough. Actually to think of it I think Def Tech does too.

Silver Member
Username: T_bomb25

Dayton, Ohio United States

Post Number: 485
Yeah thats 30 htz. extention is gonna be hard to contend with.The only thing I can think of thats capable of going down stairs like that is the Definitve Powered and studio monitors,but surely they wont be able to compete in midrange and topend.Tim they may be all alone at this price range.

Silver Member

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 414
I can hope. I measured -3db at 36Hz at 1 meter. Room gain will get it down a few more. More importantly is making sure the rest of the music is there. That's why I'd like to get some names and go do some listening. I sure appreciate all the recommendations.

Silver Member

Post Number: 488
As a matter of fact the only speakers of this type that will be able to compete are substanially more expensive,thats providing you can deliver the midrange and topend,and imaging and soundstaging, will be able to compete with them.Refference DeCapprio $3000,Totem Mani 2 refference $4000,and Dynaudio Special Twenty-Five $4800 If you can create that kind of performance for $800 dollars you can pencil my order in right now!!!

Silver Member

Oakwood, Ga

Post Number: 808
Where does it say 30hz?? "...the bass is fast and well defined (down to 40-45hz)" is all I could find. I know those Rainamkers register at 40 cause I have tested them with avia. They do fall off considerably after 40 but thats still impressive for a 5 1/2 driver in such a small enclosure. Same price as the Europa's , probably don't sound as good because of time coherence, but they sure do look a heck of alot better. And when we are talking the subtle differences in sound at this level, looks do make a difference.

Silver Member

Post Number: 138
Joe: Tim's soon to be released Emma monitor will have the 30ish Hz extension.

Silver Member

Oakwood, Ga

Post Number: 811
I love Tim's stuff and probably might try them in the future for another room setup. They get rave reviews and look pretty darn good too.

Lurker....
Unregistered guest
Tim, is the Emma competition for the Kit61? I'm looking at buying a pair of these, but I'd like to see what your speakers will do. Adire Extremis midbass? Biampable?

Silver Member

Post Number: 489
Yeah the Epiphhonys go down to atleast 40htz. in my room althought they still have some breaking in to do.But the 30s is a totally different level especially in a good room,thats when your insides start to tingle,I would like to see that Tim.That kind of makes me wanna hear them Wharfedale Diamond 9.3 now with that 8 inch woofer.

Silver Member

Post Number: 139
I'm curious to hear what kind of sensitivity the Emma's will have. I suspect like the Lings, that will be the tradeoff. I could be mistaken though.

Silver Member

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 415
I have no intention of competing against Exodus, RAW or Creative Sound. Those guys are in the kit business and are welcome to it. I believe I've created something a bit better than the Kit61 and have struck a good balance between bass extension and bass tightness. I concentrated on getting exceptional off axis performance and clean, extended highs also.
I would very much like to hear the Europa though.
Sensitivity is about 86db/w/m, so yes, a bit of a trade-off for bass extension.

Bronze Member
Username: Audioholic

Post Number: 96
The manufacturers low frequency rating should be taken with a grain of salt guys. Many of them purposely rate the low end performance lower than the speaker will go to get sales. Often times you won't even see a + - rating in frequency response listings. On top of that, most (99%+) of all rooms on the planet will not do an honest 30hz and will screw up bass frequencies beyond your wildest nightmares. I know people are enamoured with bass, but many, if not most have never heard real, accurate bass in a hi-fi speaker. Accurate bass will sound bass shy to most people. Find a speaker with a Q of .707(ideal Q) and have a listen. The GMA Europa is probably the most raved about speaker at or under $1,0000 I have seen in the audio forums. Haven't heard them, but they are put on a pedastal in every internet forum out there so they must be doing something right, yeah? Totem makes some nice speakers too. Von Schweikart VR-1 is another speaker I see mentioned a lot, though they use 4th order crossovers, not my first choice. DYI might be another option, if your handy. AV123.com has the Onix line that gets great reviews also. Good luck in your search. Let us know what you listen to and what you purchase.

Bronze Member
Username: Eieiei0101x

Post Number: 46
Will the Audince 52 be competitive in this range???

Silver Member

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 416
The Audience is worth checking out. I'm surprised by the 4 ohm nominal impedance though. The reviewers claim they are better than the B&W in this price range. Is that a commentary on the Audience or the B&W?

Silver Member
Username: Dakulis

Spokane, Washington United States

Post Number: 351
Tim,

If you can get your hands on GMAs that would be interesting. I've seen tons of "favorable reviews" but only a scarce few have actually heard them. Most of them seem to be going off professional reviews. Let us know what you finally go listen to, though. Thanks.

Silver Member

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 417
I'll try. So far I've been unsuccessful convincing the wife that a trip to Denver in late September would be a good thing.
http://www.audiofest.net/
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us