Rear center channel

Username: Socom2freak

Post Number: 3
i was wondering what would be the best for me to do for a rear center channel... right now i have infinity primus series speakers(prolly not the best but i think they sound good make my happy for the money i paid) primus 360 front speakers, 160 rear speakers, and the primus center channel....also have mtx sw1212 sub for low range bass. would it be a good idea to maybe get a better bigger front center channel and move the one i have now to the rear. im runnin off dennon 884 reciever... any ideas would be great. thanx for any help

Silver Member
Username: Devils_advocate

Post Number: 110
If possible, I would ditch that center speaker and get another pair of 160's to act as front and rear centers. I think that would be the closest match to your mains.

Otherwise, what other center did you have in mind?

Post Number: 4
i was thinking maybe

http://cgi.ebay.com/Infinity-BETAC360-Center-Channel-Speaker-BETA-C360-360_W0QQi temZ5793614494QQcategoryZ14992QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/Infinity-Intermezzo-Center-Channel-Speaker_W0QQitemZ57936049 24QQcategoryZ14992QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

maybe something like that as well, i dont want to spend a ton, maybe 500-600 max for a center channel that seems expensive to me but im not much into home theater, more of car audio guy. thanx tho, with another pair of 160s do ya think that would be a good option.

Silver Member

Post Number: 114
Personally I feel that most specially designed center speakers offer nothing over a regular bookshelf and tend to cost a lot more. Also, a regular vertically placed bookshelf speaker tends to have better sound dispersion characteristics over a dedicated center channel.

Gold Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 1767
Devil makes a very good point. I agree with his comment on cost and quality, but there are a couple functionality issues with that.

Two things to keep in mind are how high will the center speaker be placed once it's on the TV??? You wont want the sound shooting over your head if you're placing it on a large TV. If I put an upright bookshelf speaker ontop of my TV, the tweeters would be 6.5-7ft high. You'll want your tweeters as near as possible to ear height unless you can direct the sound into the listening area. With a regular center channel, it's easier to aim it downward somewhat if you're mounting it on the TV. With the tall bookshelf, you couldnt do that unless you wallmount. The second would be..... can get past the look of that thing TV mounted on top??

Post Number: 5
looks right now really arnet a big deal to me, pretty much just my family will see it anyway. if i placed the 160 on too the tweet would probably be about 5 and a half foot up, which is only about 5-6 inches different than the center channel... is the center channel really that important, cuz i notice when i listen to movies and music and such, the center really isnt that loud, is this how it should be or do i need to maybe bump the fronts down to like -4or5 or put the center channel at +4or5... i mostly listen to music on it in the 5channel mode maybe watch movies a few times a week or so....

also i have another question, on one of my bookshelfs the tweeter is not working, where can i find a part #, its .75" silk dome... its still under warrenty from american tv for 5yr parts and labor but they said it will take almost a month to have it shipped fixed and shipped back. i have the tweeter out right now, if i could just order a single tweeter somewhere and do the work myself it would save time.... thanx once again, have been a big help

Silver Member

Post Number: 117
" is the center channel really that important, cuz i notice when i listen to movies and music and such, the center really isnt that loud, is this how it should be or do i need to maybe bump the fronts down to like -4or5 or put the center channel at +4or5... "

For movies, all the dialogue is played through the center. You better believe it's important. As for its volume, your receiver should have some test tones or something to set it up with. You just want all the channels at the same volume from the listening position. Adjust accordingly.

"also i have another question, on one of my bookshelfs the tweeter is not working, where can i find a part #, its .75" silk dome... its still under warrenty from american tv for 5yr parts and labor but they said it will take almost a month to have it shipped fixed and shipped back. i have the tweeter out right now, if i could just order a single tweeter somewhere and do the work myself it would save time...."

"also i have another question, on one of my bookshelfs the tweeter is not working, where can i find a part #,"

On the back of the tweeter usually. Typically manufacturers are willing to ship parts out, but not always. Never hurts to look though.

Silver Member
Username: Cory

Canada

Post Number: 185
http://infinitysystems.com/homeaudio/product_support.aspx# select the speaker you got. and then click on parts it ill give you the part numbers for the tweeter's,woofer's,crossover,etc...and roughly how much they cost
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us