4 ohm stable receivers

Silver Member
Username: Scubasteve

Annapolis, MD

Post Number: 327
Hi, I was wondering if there are any 4 ohm stable receivers that aren't terribly expensive. I'm looking for one rated at around 100x4 rms @8 ohms but is also capable of playing at 4 ohms for a farily extended period time.

Silver Member

Annapolis, MD

Post Number: 328
nobody has any thoughts on what entry/mid level receivers handle 4 ohms loads well?

Silver Member
Username: Touche6784

USA

Post Number: 538
hk3480 can.

Silver Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 713
It depends on your budget of course, but here's a few of the usual suspects:

Arcam AVR300 (or AVR250 in average sized room)
NAD T763 or T773

The surprise is Denon. They don't seem to cope that well being paired with 4-ohm speakers.

Regards,
Frank.

Silver Member

Annapolis, MD

Post Number: 352
Thanks Frank and Chris. Unfortunately Arcam and Nad are out of my price range. I was hoping for the sub-$500 range if at all possible. I know that yammie's aren't your favorite receivers but they mention being able to handle 4 ohm loads if you use some setting that tells the receiver that its pushing into 4 ohms. They don't list any output specs at 4 ohms so I'm guessing it sounds too good to be true? Has anyone tried push into 4 with a yamaha. The specific model I'm looking at now is the RX-V757.

http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/receivers/RXV757.htm

Bronze Member
Username: Leeintn

Woodbury, Tn

Post Number: 14
i agree with C. Lee. H/K advertises the 3480 as being 4 ohm stable. Plenty of real power as well.

Bronze Member
Username: Leeintn

Woodbury, Tn

Post Number: 15
BTW i just bought one from Harmon Direct on Ebay for $205.00 including shipping. You should check their ebay site

Silver Member
Username: Stu_pitt

NYC, NY

Post Number: 355
From what I've seen and heard, H/K handles the impedence load better than anything else in that price range.

Silver Member

Annapolis, MD

Post Number: 363
alright thanks guys, but I was kind of hoping for something along the lines of 7.1 but that may not be possible with the amount of money I'm willing to spend.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us