Kenwood VR-6070 THX/DPL2. Anyone has this unit? (Page 9)

Anonymous
To the person that brought up FLUANCE speakers
did you get them yet? and how do they sound???
http://www.fluance.com/

Brian Fulton:

Yes, we seem to be on the same wavelength. Since you have the Onkyo HT500, do you think they'd sound okay in a large (15x25) room? Any sound issues at louder volumes? Though I'll admit that the furniture in my living room is a lot closer taking up one half of the room, making for an actual 15x12 listening area....

Still searching for a review or someone who has heard the BIC home theater systems (...I haven't seen these systems available in my area - Has anyone out there?), and also considering the JBL SCS-150, though a couple of articles indicate that it's only good in a small to medium sized room. Come to think of it, what ARE the dimensions of a Small, Medium or Large sized room? :)

TO: BILL RESNICK

Since you are currently keeping your HTIB and Sony Speakers, can you please let me know the specs (cabinet size, frequncy responses, size of speaker drivers themselves, etc) on the speakers that you have (LEFT,CENTER,RIGHT,REARs,SUBWOOFER, AND THE SONYS) and please describe your previous speaker arrangement you used with your older reciever.
Let me know the total number of speakers you have available to use for the new receiver...
Also do you have a powered-subwoofer? Just want to make sure what we are working with for the best results...

With this info/data I would be able to make my personal recommendations as required for best accoustical performance.

One last thing, though...what components are you going to connect to the new receiver...especially what type of connections are going to your TV relative to the DVD player and the new receiver.

thanks...Michael

P.S. If the data/info is too long to post on this message-board...then do not hesitate to email the information to me by clicking on my name on the left side of the message-board.

TO: MIKE GRATIS and the rest on this message-board.

My brother's system is the KENWOOD VR-6070, Monster Cabling, Toshiba DVD player, and the JBL SCS-150 speaker system.

MY OPINION EXPRESSED:

The main criteria of choosing speakers are for sound quality first and foremost, then pricing and value...with considerations for cosmetics as well. Me and My brother really liked the finish and color of the JBL's silvery finish and black cloth over the speaker drivers..and it suits his room layout really well...not just the drab black we usual get from speakers...which makes the JBL's distinctive in appearance.(We also purchased the matching stands as well for rear and front)

If you want reviews from any item that have been used by actual consumers...then you can go to this excellent source for information & data http://www.audioreview.com

One important thing about selecting any type of audio equipment...especially speakers...is that you should listen/demo them for yourself, since everybody has his or her personal tastes.

For example, I own a pair of Paradigm Studio Reference Series Monitor speaker system and never play music to deafening levels ("my personal maximum average peak is 100db on the sound meter at the listening position")...I purchased them for sound-quality and value.

My personal criteria is not High Volume and Overbearing BASS...but proper balance to the true sound of any instrument or sound effect being played through the speakers.

In regards to small, medium, and large room sizes...there are to many variables and environmental factors that can effect the accoustics of a room and output levels.

I would consider my brothers listening room/area as medium in size and the JBL's do get really loud with the volume setting only at -20db on the VR-6070 for DVD viewing. You can imagine how loud the system can go since the volume can go as high as +13 as someone stated in a previous posting somewhere above or read it elsewhere (We have only put the receiver to zero db mark for calibrating & setup purposes only with digital sound-meter, so I can not verify the +13db volume level)...I would never abuse any equipment just to see the maximum level possible). Personally anyone nearing the 0...zero db mark on the volume control dial will soon be going deaf, naturally this will depend on your room size accordingly and respectively.

thanks...Michael

Michael Herczeg:

You mentioned about listening to speakers before you buy them, which I totally agree with; but sometimes that's difficult at best, or even impossible, for those who live in remote areas. I have no problem getting to a Best Buy, Circuit City, or Tweeter store; but many times the selection is limited and sometimes the speaker arrangement in mind (...like the BICs I'd like some input on) is not available locally. Plus, as you mentioned, there are a lot of variables to each house, room, and even the equipment used; so there's no guarantee whatsoever that what you hear at the store or at someone else's house is going to be what you'll finally hear at home. I would hope that we all realize that; but I still greatly appreciate and rely upon the input of folks like you and others on the Net before making my final decsions. Thanks for your post - It gave me useful information that I'll be using when making my final decision. ;-)

j.b.
sorry guys but due to problems with my vr6070,i took it back and got a pioneer d811,and its awesome.no thx ,but thx select isnt real thx anyway,ultra or ultraII are better.sorry to dissapoint.

j.b.
tganks for the help jeffrey,but after paying that kind of money for a reciever,i shouldnt have to cob things together.and mark,try out the pioneer,its awesome.

Mark Poteet

I've have had my 6070 for almost two weeks and now I'm thinking...what have i gotten myself into. I have a friend that purchased the VSX-811S for $399.00 6 Months ago at Best Buy, and the nice feature on the Pioneer is the 6 Channel Stereo for playing music in (Full Bandwidth) with no Matrixed stereo like the 6070. The closest I could come was with Pro Logic 2 With the Surround in re-mix to get stereo separation in 6 of the 7.1 Channels. The center will aways be mono.I'm using an Adcom Amp on the center and rear surround preamp outputs. It is Maxtrixed stereo,and the vocals mainly stay in the front L/C/R speakers. All Those Features in the Listening modes of the 6070 and I'd be happy with 6 channel stereo like the pioneer. Reason being, to have more than one set of true stereo speakers you must be using the A and B speakers teminals while the 6070 is in the stereo mode. My Example is I needed the ability to fill a large room like a 20' X 18' room, but then by using A/B speaker together it cut my power (wattage) because the speakers are ran Parallel. If you want my Real recomendation of the Receiver to get, it would be the Pioneer Elite VSX-41. At about $100.00 more than the VSX-811S,that makes it a top of the line receiver with 110 watts X 6, plus a better warranty. There is still nothing (much)wrong with the 6070, but if you listen to your music as much as you watch movies it's a no brainer. Sorry to all that I offended by not recommending the 6070, but back on Nov.19 I tryed asking simple questions like the thread was setup for and with no response I bought it anyway, but I'm getting the impression that some of these guys are getting paid to hype or plug this 6070 Unit. It is a fine receiver for DTS-ES and THX (movies), but it is limited mainly in MP3 playback in stereo because the listen modes cannot encode the signal for playback in all speakers without it sounding awful. Mark hope you have good luck on your choice.

j.b.
ive had the d811 for 2 days now and i have no complaints..............so far. my 6070 was nice but had problems. 2 channel music sounded awful.

Justin
Hey guys. I got my receiver about a week ago and im still having problems with the DTS-ES thing. I have an older 2nd-generation DVD player. It only has optical digital connections. The receiver recognizes the DTS-ES signal because it switchs to it, but i still dont get any sound. They're no helpful settings in the DVD player menu. Im running a 5 speaker setup with two large front speakers and no sub for now. What can i do to access all formats through my optical connection. Do i have to buy a DVD player with coaxil? Thanks

j.b.
my 6070 did the same thing.try turning the reciever power off then back on.thats what i had to do.

j.b.:

You mention you had problems with your 6070; but no specifics.....

Victor Mobley:

I assure you that I'm not getting paid to hype or plug the 6070; though if you know of someone willing to PAY..... :) I don't even have mine in hand yet; but arrived at my decsion to buy one based on a LOT of online reading at a LOT of different web sites and arriving at my own conclusions. I think most of us are in the same boat..... :)

j.b.
look back a few days

the fluance speakers sound great, if fluance gave me a way to post a recomedation i would. for the price i paid the 6070 really brings the sound out. If anyone is thinking of upgrading speakers, these beat Bose, Yamaha and sony and I've used all 3

Wow i can get a whole nice setup of 2 floor standing,center,2 sets of rears for under what i would pay for one front set of some nice Polk Audio... How would they compare against the Polks?

I just got mine at savinglots.com.
Awesome deal and incredible stereo.
the link is
http://www.savinglots.com/lotprod.asp?item=VR6070

1. Anyone inquiring into the validity of the THX Select or higher designation on a audio product should go to this website http://www.thx.com/ The above website is self-explanitory.

2. Over-all, me and my brother decided on the KENWOOD VR-6070 as the best single item available for long-term investment at the time with THX Select Certification...like I mentioned in a previous posting my brother only has the following audio components: KENWOOD VR-6070, Toshiba DVD player, JBL SCS-150 speaker system and Panasonic CD player. No other components are utilized. Thus we made a decision based on what Receiver is the best via purchasing one component only to upgrade from his older DOLBY PRO-LOGIC receiver. One must note that everybody has different requirements to meet. Also some of you have multiple equipment using the receiver in a preamp mode with external amplifiers and so forth.
Details on the KENWOOD VR-6070 can be found here at this website http://www.kenwoodusa.com/product/redirectFeature.jsp?goToUrl=product.jsp%3FproductId%3D2452

3. One important aspect of any-type of consumer products in general is that new products from competitors always arrive and leap-frog each other in quality/performance/price/feature set/etc...thus one brand has the best model...then the other brand has the best model...I hope you all understand this analogy.

4. At this moment in time, I continue to still stand with the decision in purchasing the KENWOOD VR-6070 as the best model to meet my brother's needs. Once I saw someone post the Pioneer VSX-D811S on this message-board...I researched the product on the PIONEER website and could not find any amplifier specifications for this unit. Does anyone have the actual specs or test report on the PIONEER...how come Pioneer does not show the specs on its own website??? I wonder???

Also...I do not like when the stereo-mode distortion rating looks great, but when going to surround mode distortion figures go up considerably...for example look at low to mid-line JVC Receiver Specs.

I live in Canada...the KENWOOD THX Select has two years warranty while the Pioneer non-THX has only one year warranty.

5. I will positively confirm that the THX Select audio component will sound superior & better accousticaly via the proper digital sound processing applied and decoded then a non-THX Select model via DVD AUDIO FORMAT. I have really sensitive ears. ("We used digital sound-meter, and tape-measure for speaker placement and alignment within 1/8 of an inch or less in all dimensions"...some of you may think this is extreme set-up...but after investing in such a product like the KENWOOD VR-6070...it is worth to take the extra time for proper set-up to truly enjoy and maximize the benefits of the new Receiver.

6. Just to let you know I am not paid anything to hype any-kind of product...I am only seeking the truth in all things. Also this message-board helps us all in not only communicating our opinions...but to make better decisions (no matter how large or small that decision is!!!).

Until later...thanks, Michael

Anonymous
yawn

l.a.
thats great and all michael but,try having a defective unit and see how you feel.i happen to like the pioneer.

paul
thx select ex is basically dolby digital ex,thx ultra or ultra2 is real thx.

TO: Paul

I just checked-out the Dolby website to compare what the differences are between THX Select EX and Dolby Digital EX. Sure the speaker placement are the same objective, but THX itself actually does extra coding and manipulations to the signal beyond the just normal DOLBY DIGITAL EX. Look a little bit deeper into the extra features of having THX sound manipulation for more precise configuration and setup of speakers and receiver...

THX Select AV Amplifiers and Receivers
Feature: THX Select power requirements more exactly match the needs of multichannel digital program material.
Benefit: A THX Select Receiver's amplifier section can now be easily built using a single common power supply of reasonable and cost-effective size. The peak levels remain the same as with THX Ultra systems (105 dB).

Feature: Owing to current economies of DSP design, all THX Select products feature: Re-Equalization, Timbre Matching, Adaptive Decorrelation, Bass Management, Bass Peak Level Manager, and Loudspeaker Position Time Synchronization
Benefit: THX Select electronics continue to be the most flexible and refined, and the "THX Mode" has the same utility.

I am sure you will not find these features on the Pioneer VSX-D811S for example.

thanks...Michael

Sounds like a bunch of kids here. The Pioneer is a great amp, but depends on what you want. Any of these questions in here could be answered by reading up....like THX EX vs DD EX. They are the same sound format, in that it was co-developed by Lucas/Dolby, but when it comes to the recievers, that is where is gets different. DD EX does not include all of the THX tweaks. Period.
And THX certification is based on room size. Read up on it. A THX Ultra amp in my house is overkill, and so is the 6070. If it isn't enough, then you need to buy some big 15" Cerwins and get a real amp. But that is not home theatre.

Most of the people in this thread are novices, and in knowing so, the Kenwood is a good choice. The Pioneer is good as well. But after a proper setup with good speakers, the Kenwood will prevail with movies. As far as music, I can appreciate only having a few sound feilds, because I don't listen to them. Maybe CSII for a party, but you can't say it "doesn't sound good or natural" as you just put it through a procesor. Duh! If you want surround music, buy it, DTS audio or DVD audio, then you will be living. Or try an HDCD player and use the analog input.

Good post so far kids, but lets not have to give anyone a time out for beeing pissy.

The Kenwood BTW will handle lower impedence speakers, but you will have less headroom, so keep in mind that when winding the dial.

And just so i don't sound like I am plugging the 6070, I hate the remote. To quote Bart Simpson;" I didn't think it was possible...but something can suck and blow at the same time..." It is a far cry from the remote that came with the VR510.
So there you have it. Be back later, so no spit balls or else!

TO: JUSTIN

You can communicate and direct any technical questions and concerns via this technical support area for KENWOOD PRODUCTS:

http://www.kenwoodusa.com/support/main.jsp

Justin please let me know your results and or solutions from KENWOOD...

thanks...Michael

TO: Shayne Noel & ALL

Thanks for your unconditional feedback and confirmation in regards to THX versus NON THX certified receivers...

By the way I do not know everything...that is why it is great to share ideas and knowledge on this message-board.

until later...Michael

Mike Gratis: I have the same setup as Brian Fulton (VR 6070 and Onkyo SHT-500) and combined the set sounds great. The Onkyo does a great job on both Music and movie formats. I purchased the VR 6070 through Vanns.com for 438.00 with Free shipping (I know its now 428.00 with Free shipping) and the main reason I bought from them is because they are an Authorized kenwood retailer and according to kenwood's website the guarantee on their products is only valid when the item is purchased from an authorized retailer. The website has a list of those authorized retailers. I bought the Onkyo's at Circuit city for 199.99 and this was based on three factors: The raving review they received from CNET.com, The ability to purchase a matching 6th surround back speaker to take advantage of the VR-6070 6th amp, from Onkyo's website (onkyousa.com) for only 40.00 with free shipping. And that they sounded great on display at Circuit City. I have a large sized room 17x25 and they are more than adequate.

Question for anyone:
I can't seem to find out how to tweak the THX select settings. It says, everywhere the VR 6070 is purchased (even Kenwood's website), that you have the ability to mess with timbre matching, decorrelation etc. However there is no mention of this in the Manual (other than where the THX button is and how to turn it on) Am I forgetting something or not looking in the right place. I can find how to mess with all of the other settings except this one. Or is it the case where THX handles these tweaks automatically based on your speaker setups or do I need to use a THX certified disc with the THX optimizer (Like terminator 2 ultimate dvd) to access these features. I look forward to a response and this is a great message board.

Mike gratis

Sorry for the way you had taken my remark. But I also did a LOT of reading and research. To be honest the THX sold me on the 6070. As I stated yesterday this is great receiver for movie lovers. But from what I have found is the 6070's reproduction of music is limited. To help I have my DVD players digital coaxial connected to the 6070's DVD/6CH digital input (for movies), and my DVD players analog RCA's running through my Equalizer, and then to the 6070's CD/DVD analog inputs (for music CD's). This is the only way I could get an adjustment on the Tonal Quality while listening to my music CD's. I also have my computer connected to the 6070, so I have taken every aspect of the 6070's musical playback ability into question. I will say I am NOT sorry I bought it, but I have a wide range of uses for it outside of just movies. I also should not complain when I knew the DAC was only 96Khz/24 bit, instead of 192Khz/24 bit or it could not encode MP3's properly. You have made a good choice in this receiver for the price. Like any electronic equipment you get, one day you will need to upgrade. I'm learning as i go, it's based on what I want in a receiver and what I can afford. In this case it's what I can afford. Take care and good luck.

Rob G
Nathan

Looks like I'm heading down the same track as you.. The VR-6070 from Vanns, Onkyo HT-500's from Circuit City (though they are $269 there now), and the SKB-100 rear surround direct from Onkyo.

I'm curious though... On Onkyo's site, they post the specs for the SKS-HT500 and list the Surround's with a max of 70 watt. However, if you look at the specs for the complete systems that include the same speakers, those specs show the Surrounds with a 100 watt max. Does your documentation show the same, or might it be a typo on their site? If you look into it further, the Frequency response ratings are also a bit different between the 2 spec sheets.

Looking forward to putting in my order this week. Started out planning to just buy a HTIB but am certainly glad I found so much info about the 6070/HT-500 combination. (If I can just convince my wife that the speakers aren't THAT ugly).

Victor Mobley:

No offense taken.... The post was made somewhat tonge-in-cheek, hence the "smiles". :)

Rob G:

Sounds like a few of us were in the same boat, mainly starting out thinking about an HTiB system to upgrade our sound system; but then realizing that we'd be better off in the long run buying a seperate receiver and speakers that more closely meet our present needs and future plans. A lot of us went with the VR-6070 as our final choice for a receiver; but made different choices for speakers, based on specs, prices, personal listening preferences, or, as you alluded to, visual design considerations in relation to room decor. :) I was debating between BIC, JBL and Onkyo; but in the end went with the JBL SCS150. At the moment, I'm trying to figure out how to arrange my listening area to allow for a set of speakers behind, for 6.1; since my present set-up just wouldn't work. The way the room is set up, in realtion to the TV, speakers and furniture, is kind of awkward; at least as compared to the "perfect" diagrams that are always showed for Home Theater surround listenting. But this is also one of those instances where the wife has a lot of input..... :)

Justin M
I am thinking of buying the vr-6070. Does anyone know if it has dolby-digital ex 6.1. I know it has dts-es 6.1 and thx-ex 6.1. With movies in the future coming out with these formats, will they produce more dd ex 6.1 movies than the other formats. Any opinions on this matter? Thanks

Justin M
Does my dvd player have to THX on it to output the THX sound to the receiver. It is a 2 year old dvd player. thanks

Rob G.
You won't be disappointed with the VR-6070 and Onkyp speakers. I did look at my documentation that came with the speakers and it does state that the surround speakers have a max power of 100w but it also states at the bottom of the page that the "specifications and apperance may subject to change for improvement without prior notice". So who knows, however I have had zero issues with them and I think it is okay because Onkyo sells this speaker set with their HTIB coupled with a 100w x 6 receiver. So if they include it to a receiver with a max power of 100 to the surrounds than I would say its okay for us. However I am no expert. As for the price I am sure Circuit city will offer them for that price again prior to xmas. I bought them on the day after thanksgiving. And for the Wife part it took 6 months for me to convince mine to let me get them and now she thinks they look fine, even though they are larger than most.

Note to all who purchased the VR-6070 from Vanns.com....If you purchased your unit within the last 30 days and noticed that the price went down even more (like me) just call them up and they will credit you the difference instantly with no hassle. If you already didn't know.

Justin M.

Yes the VR-6070 has Dolby Digital EX. And no your DVD player does not have to have THX. It just has to have a digital optical or coaxial output. The actual dvd will have the THX/dts/dolby digital sound encoded on the disc which the receiver will decode.

Man i love this receiver.. Every other day i learn something else about it. Just last night i finally tried setting up the remote to control my other gear like my TV,CD Player,DVD and VCR..yuck! Who uses those things any more? hehe. Anywhoo.. At first i could only get the remote to work only with the DVD player with there codes.. I was disapointed that i could not atleast get my TV to work with the remote.. Then i kept reading the secton over and over.. I know there directions suck in the manual.. and bamb! I got it all figured out! All i had to do is make the remote learn what buttons i wanted to use from other remotes.. Just slap the 2 remotes pointing at eachother and hit the learn button, then press the button on the remote that you want to asign the button to on the main remote then press the button that you want to use from the other remote and wham! it works! hehe.. I was freakin out when i learned that. So now i can throw 5 remotes in to the cabnet cause this baby can control them all even if you codes dont work for each device. Oh let me also tell ya that you have to select what mode the remote will be in before programing it like "other" or TV..ect.. hehe this thing is even controlling my other receiver i'm using to power the rear center left and right..

Total kick @ss receiver period!

If ya have someone on your shopping list this christmas season that needs a new home audio hookup... BUY THEM THIS RECEIVER!!

Hell i'm seariously thinking about picking up another one for Bi-Amping a futue set of Polk audio speakers i'm thinking about gettin in the next few months.

TO: MIKE GRATIS

Great to see that finally your family decided on the JBL SCS-150 speaker system...I hope the cosmetics fit your surroundings well and also let me know how they sound within your interesting room environment?

The Kenwood support site is here http://www.kenwoodusa.com/support/main.jsp

TO ALL ON THIS MESSAGE-BOARD & KENWOOD technical support:

All is fine with the receiver except this minor challenge which has so far been never resolved at this time...note I live in Canada so the toll-free number does not work over here...I have also emailed KENWOOD in regards to this minor problem with no response as of yet...I emailed them a week ago.

I am reposting my previous message here...seeking a solution to this challenge...maybe someone can phone Kenwood on my behalf...greatly appreciate it...COMBATIBILTY ISSUE between TOSHIBA SD-1200 DVD player and the KENWOOD VR-6070.

SEE BELOW

Attn: To All who can give me feedback to my challenge...

Last month we purchased the VR-6070 as a family-gift for my brother & sister-in-law. Me and my brother have set up the unit in the following configuration with soundmeter and tape measure for accuracy: 5.1 speaker set-up with nml/thx and subwoofer via RCA pre-out to a powered sub. The DVD player has only digital co-axial output only, so hooked up the toshiba dvd player via monster digital co-axial cable into DVD/6ch input at the rear with the single cable. Video3 is used for cable-TV viewing and CD/DVD for the CD player. Monster cable is used for subwoofer connection as well. Input detection mode is "FULL AUTO". At the moment Dolby Digital is working fine...the problem is with the use of DTS 5.1 decoding from various movies such a Pearl Harbor, Gladiator and so forth. For example, Pearl Harbor uses 2 discs, so after we eject the first disc and insert the second disc...the display for red LED DTS and white sections on the display start to flash and the receiver always freezes at this point. The dvd continues to play the video part on the TV..but no sound showing up at all. The only way to overcome this situation is to change input selector to another source and back to DVD/6CH which resets everything. Then, and only then the receiver auto scans the signal from scratch. Also for example if one watches a dvd movie half-way and stops the movie from the dvd player itself and inserts another different dvd movie (using either Dolby Digital or DTS 5.1)...the receiver again freezes and does not detect properly the new disc that is inserted...basically the display continues to flash with no sound at all in this case as well. Please give me any appropriate feedback as required. As far as I know the "FULL AUTO" should detect any changes at any-time? Please Note that we always select the sound-mode from the dvd player menus and have selected bit-stream output from the dvd. There is no problem when turning on the receiver for the first time and playing the first disc only as it functions perfectly in both DTS 5.1 and Dolby Digital...during "FULL AUTO" detection mode...the problems arrises after using the second disc or just want to watch a second different movie...this hang-up sometimes shows up for Dolby Digital as well. Could somthing be wrong with the reciever itself (microchip)? As far as I am aware...everything is setup correctly?

Thanks...Michael

To Michael.. i've noticed the same thing with my setup. THough i didnt think of it as a error or that it could be something rong with the receiver.. All i had to do is to hit the "imput" button again and switch it back to "full auto" and it worked fine switchin to the correct sound mode.

I think it might be something with the sound field really not changing from the DVD player since its sending out the bitstream signal and that the receiver does'nt see the change or something till ya tell it to search for it again.

About the freezin up thing.. umm.. I dont see that with mine.. though all it does when i switch a disk or what not is just flash over and over since its searchin for a signal.

I could be way off with my guess..hehe. I'll have to play with it again and see what it does.

Read through alot of the comments about this receiver. Sounds like a good choice.
Dont know if the current setup I have will affect my decision perhaps someone can enlighten me.

All of my componants are currently Kenwood. My current receiver is a year old Kenwood 505.
My money has gone into my speakers and wiring. All Audio wiring is Monster Time Correct. All video interconnects are Monster M Series.
Speaker system is matched Mirage FRX with Mirage LS 400 watt Sub.

Do not do much music playback at all. Like to watch movies fairly loud. With 5 speakers do I need the 6.1 option or should I really be getting a rear.
Is the THX option really something to consider.

I was figuring the a receiver upgrade would have a desirable affect over my current 505.

Any thoughts

Ron
My name is Ron and I'm a novice. 23 years ago, I bought a Technics receiver, 2 Allison One (4ohm) speakers and 2 Allison Three (4ohm) speakers. They all served me fine until last week, the Technics bit the dust.
Looking at the 6070, I have a couple of questions after trying to get through most of the messages here: 1) will I have a problem with the 4ohm speakers? I read something about needing more "headroom" but I don't know what that means.
2) is this unit too complicated for a novice such as myself? I will be hooking up a sony 36" xbr450,
progressive scan dvd player, maybe my old technics turntable (yeah, I still use it!) and maybe a cassette tape deck (still use that too).
I am interested in high quality music as well as getting enwrapped in a star wars dvd.
Any advice would be appreciated.

Paul F,

GO FOR IT!

Yeah 6.1 is worth it...but how about 7.1? hehe. Yup you'll get that with this receiver as long as you keep your your old Kenwood receiver and use it to power the rear center channel with the Center Rear left and right out-put on the new 6070 Kenwood like i have.

Other 6.1 receiver like the Onkyo 600 only have 6.1 with no option to upgrade with it so you can add more speakers cause it doesnt have any pre-outs. The Kenwood 6070 has 8 pre-outs total. So with the other 6.1 you would only have a center rear out.. on this you could have 2 rear center (RearLeft+RearRight). So you should just go out and buy up 2 of the same surround speakers ya have now for the rear center channel.

THX- Yes worth it.. Theres a difference that my newbie ears can hear forsure.

Grab one up and have fun with it! plenty of newer options and it has everything ya want.

Mary
To Nathan Carnahan--thank you very much for letting the board know about Vanns' policy. I didn't know and even though I was probably a couple of days beyond the 30 days, they still credited my account $10.41. I love it! Thank you!!

I finally have a question...

I've notcied today when i played "We were solders" that has the Dolby Digital 5.1 Extended format, that the receiver only shows Dolby Digital even though i selected the 5.1 ext. format in the CD menu... is this right? I thought Dolby Digital 5.1 Ext was really 6.1 matrix? The receiver only shows 5 speakers working.. I'm i missing something, or is the prob my DVD player even though its set at Bitstream and i'm using the Optical output..though DTS,DTS Ext works fine..

Someone help!!!

Tim P
Wow there is like a gaggle of 6070 owners here. Getting mine this week from vanns of course, woot!

:) Congrates Tim! Prefect Holiday gift to get yourself eh? hehe.. Nothing better then a brand new toy to play with. ;^)

Tim P
Ya its been 5-6 years since I updated my receiver and I thought its about time to jump on the DD EX/DTS ES/DPL II band wagon.

Jeffrey
eclypse, I think I mentioned this before, but for the 7.1 format, there are no movies that I have seen with 7.1. And even the 6.1 options are limited. So if you put up two back surround and amp them separately, unless you have a 7.1 formatted DVD, both back channels are going to get the same 6th channel information. It is for this reason that I just put up my back surround speakers run in series off the 6th channel of the 6070. Having them run in series means the amp is seeing a likely load of 10-16 ohms, but in reality, I only have to set the rear surrounds to about 1-3 clicks higher to acheive the same level as the surround left and right. I think this also has to do with the fact that my surround left and right speakers are a nominal 8-10 ohms themselves, since I have these set 1-2 clicks higher than the fronts/center.

As for the Dolby D EX, I have had instances where I am playing such a DVD and the 6070 autodetect will not switch to it on auto, but when I press the listen mode button up, it switches to Dolby D EX and the sound comes thru fine. It ain't perfect, but it works if for everything I have played, DTS ES and all other formats.

Ron, check back on one of my earlier posts about using a 4 ohm load. Best bet is to try and and see since per my earlier post, the 6070 have overload protection to make it safer for you to try them out.

Jeffrey
The following is the response to an email I sent to kenwood support about three weeks ago, they are slow, but they did respond:

The cut off point for the speaker outputs when set to NML is 80 Hz with a 12db per octave slope and full range when set to large. The sub woofer
output will be 80 Hz and 24db per octave. If you have any further questions or need help with anything, please feel free to contact us again.

This was in response to my question regarding what was the crossover point for the speakers when set to NML and what is the roll-off, and the same for the Large setting as well as the sub-woofer. After testing the units, I figured this out based on the level of response I got by setting my speakers to large versus NML, a big increase in sound around the 80-100Hz level. But it is nice to know the actual data which is not found in the manual. Also, I currently have my front and center speakers set to large and my rear and surround speakers set to NML. My room is small, about 10 feet deep, so I suspect that the lower frequencies are better aligned when travelling in one direction from the front to me as they seem to dissapate when I switch the rear/surrounds to large. So with the SW remix set to ON, the lows from the rear/surround are redirected thru the subs. This is my ideal listening set up I have found for me thus far.

For Jeffery

Haven't been here for a while, but am responding to your previous post of 11/30/2002.

I did have SW remix on when I wasn't getting much response from my SW during my test. I got a Y cable (2 males, 1 Female). I plugged the males into the left front pre-out and the SW pre-out into the SW left input, while keeping my RC connection from the right front pre-out. This way I mix the LFE channel into the the SW. However every time I plugged the combo left RC line into the SW its volume dropped by 50%, Thanks to your post and using my sound meter I increased the DB level from the SW by +5DB until it matched the right pre-out volume. Now I get great SW response from all modes without having to adjust the SW volume depending on what listening mode I am in. But to be truthfull I can't tell the difference in bass response from the SW compared to my previous hookup. Maybe I am getting old and my ears are failing. Too many rock concerts, perhaps. I've upgraded all of my surround speakers to AR-15 (base response down to 38MZ), so I have now set all my speakers to large.

Equipment list:
Kenwood 6070, of course.
Toshiba 57" HDTV wide screen TV 57H81.
Sony NS715PS progressive scan DVD.
Pioneer GS-403 L/R front with 15" woofers 30HZ.
AR300 12" SW 300 Watt sunfire amp 22MZ.
Ar 2C center speaker 6 1/2 woofer 45 MZ.
AR 15 L/R surround 6 1/2 woofer 38MZ.
Kenwood 3080 used as amp to drive rear surrounds.
Ar 15 L/R rear surrounds 6 1/2 woofer 38 MZ.
All surround speakers are bi-wired. Even these tired old ears can tell that I get better treble response this way.

My only problem with the remote is that some of the functions affect my 3080, such as changing it from tape to DVD or changing the volume so I double the change. Wish I could find a way to kill it.

Keeping playing with your settings.

John

Chris R
Hi everyone, I just stumbled onto this site by accident while searching for info on the 6070! I have been reading some of the posts for a while and i know some of the readers are really knowledgable about these home systems. My question may sound simple but im totally new at the home theater scene (but Im totally into electronics so im not that newbie-like.) I have the 6070 and Energy Take 5.2 surround sound system with the Take s8 subwoofer. I was wondering which would be the best way for me to hook up my speakers so i can get the most out of my speakers, subwoofer and all? I would like to get it right on the first shot then adjust from there. Should I connect all the surrounds directly to the receiver and then connect the subwoofer to the preout? or is there a different and better way? im sure there is because theres a number of outputs on the back of the sub, any help that can be offered will be greatly appreciated so i can get the most of my system. Thanks -Chris-

Chris R
I also would like to get good stereo also, just wanted to add, any help is good if it can be given Thanks, -Chris-

Tim P
Chris just conect the sub to the pre-out and set your speakers to NML/THX (small) in the setup menus. Subs have outs and other hook ups for those receivers not eqquiped with a sub pre-out and for a few other reasons. But your best bet is to let the receiver to handle the bass management.

I forgot to mention I was just watching the new Star Wars movie Return of the Clones. My wife used to have an expensive plate displayed on the fireplace mantle. It walked accross the mantle and fell onto the hearth and shattered into a 100 pieces. I tried to blame my 17 year old son beause he rented the movie. You not only hear the base, but you feel the base. The whole room vibrates.

John

Dion
Hi all.
I just have a question i need some help with. I have connected a DVD player to my video 3, video and opticle inputs to my VR6070, that works fine. My problem is, I have a games console that also uses opticle connection for audio, the second opticle connection on the amp as you know is CD/DVD. How can I use that opticle connection with that games console? like, can I plug it into video 2 and program the opticle to use video 2 or something? because at the moment all i can get with that is, watch it through video 2, and no audio is produced. if i change to the cd/dvd input i only hear audio and no video shows etc...

Admin (Admin)
>> Next Page
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us