More NAD issues

Bronze Member
Username: Blazer

Post Number: 50
I am not here as an NAD basher. After more than a years research I pulled the trigger on an NAD T763. I had to return the first unit b/c the trigger switch on the back was pushed all the way into the unit. I just opened the box of my replacement unit and THIS ONE HAS THE EXACT SAME PROBLEM. What are the odds of that? I don't really care. All I know is that I paid a lot of money for this unit and already have received 2 bad ones. I don't have the time nor the $ to be playing the "replacement game." Unfortumately, as good as the NAD sound is, I am completely finished whith them.

Username: Js92987

Post Number: 6
I agree with ya brother! MY first NAD t753 I had to bring back because it kept shutting down for no reason. NAD replaced it with a new one which is trouble free knock on wood! Funny thing about is I read about all the problems but took the plunge anyway and low and behold first one out of the gate was defective. I will say one thing in my opinion its tough to find NAD sound. Good luck on the next purchase. JOHN

Username: Fnegroni

Post Number: 4
I just purchased a NAD t743 and yes, it has the latest 2.05 firmware, but it still has the hiss issue.
I am posting it back tomorrow for a full refund, as I don't believe NAD have it sorted yet.
Will keep my cheap Yamaha until I find something with decent sound which does not brake down.

Silver Member
Username: Danman

QUEBEC CANADA

Post Number: 452
You all have to buy from an AUTHORISED dealer! Beware of reduced and refurbished units and also some on line dealers sell this equipment as new! Go to a store that sells them. If you can't make it to one, call them directly and they can send you the models you want.

Most issues of hum and hiss are coming form these un-authorised dealers!

Post Number: 6
About unathorised dealers.
The unit was posted to the dealer by the NAD importer in the UK, which all authorised dealers get their brand new units from. It is a myth that online retailers get second hand stuff.
The box was just wrapped up and sent to me.
In the internet era, I am surprised to hear about people advicing to purchase in shops.
Infact, in the UK, it is unenforceable to stop a dealer selling goods online.
The few companies that get away with it are only some Audio ones, which get round the legislation, by asking dealers to show the products in store before selling. The fact is that when you buy a product, it comes in a box and nobody knows what is in it.
Online retailers are as good as shops when it comes to returns/refunds. Sometimes even better.
I am not the only one with this problem, and infact NAD is not the only one of those with white noise issue. The Rotel 1056 has the same.
The problem is that what a manufacturer is trying to sell as a feature, is in fact a bug.

Gold Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 1900
I warned you guys against NAD. They must have a bunch of drunks working the assemblyline over at NAD considering their level of quality control.

Post Number: 7
I am infact not complaining about the sound part of the NAD. Plenty of power to drive my speakers (Tannoy Fusions).
The bass is controlled, the treble is well behaved (not as coloured as with my cheap Yamaha).
It is the wality that does not convince me at all.
I love the sound so much I am going to stick with my cheap Yamaha until something better comes out.
At least that one is dead quiet when nothing should come out.
Just in case you think it is only NAD customers that complain about white noise/hissing which should not be there, google "Rotel 1056 hiss", and you'll find other people complaining.

Silver Member

QUEBEC CANADA

Post Number: 453
Yeah Paul...........they are all disgruntled workers from Cerwin Veggie!

You are right Filippo, other companies are also having troubles with AV equipment. I am happy to be into 2 channel. I have owned a lot of NAD equipment over the past 20 years with no problems ever!

All of this computer, DAC chip crap going into one box is not my thing. May be fun to listen to movies that way but I listen to 95% music so it is useless to me. There is just too much equipment in one amplifier. The problems with NAD are coming from there supplier of chips from what my dealer told me. He has fixed a few and it took about 20 minutes for the fix.

By the way...........you may be right where you live but in America, there are many un-authorised dealers selling equipment and NAD seems to be a main target. The reason I buy from a store and not Internet is for after sale service. Things break and it is nice to have personal service if needed. The Internet has helped me get better prices but you can't beat human contact. I can get a better deal than resale all the time therefore, that is the way I would rather go.

I recently purchased a Cambridge Audio DVD player and had to have it fixed twice. My dealer decided to give me a new one instead. Internet can't do that.........however, I will never buy Cambridge again as they are over-rated.

Berkshire United Kingdom

Post Number: 9
You are indeed right: human contact is just way better than online deals.
Infact, just to avoid any surpises, I am going to buy my next AV amp from a shop, and make sure that once the box arrives, they open it and we test it there and then. I am originally from Italy, and I know a big electronics shop where once you buy some equipment, you are directed to the testing bench, where you can open the box and test it there and then. If it is faulty they replace it no questions asked.
As for the NAD receiver, it says on the box it comes directly fro Lenbrook UK Ltd.
The Receiver serial number is R52T7432457, Manuf. date Feb 2005.
Engineered in Canada, manufactured in China.
I registered it with NAD's online warranty website.

I have also asked them about the hissing trouble on their customer support website (www.nadelectronics.com/help) and they replied they are looking into it and will post a reply soon. I asked them it this was a known issue and if there was a fix. I also gave them the serial number of my unit.

Just in case you think I am one of those people that just complain: I own a Mazda RX-8, I bought one of the early ones. I never had a problem with it, and so far it has performed as expected. I was aware it was a new model, could have teething problems (which it has), but nothing that spoils my enjoyment.
I bought the NAD convinced that after 2 years on the market any teething problems would be resolved.

Berkshire United Kingdom

Post Number: 10
You are also right about Cambridge Audio: they latest AVR had for a long time a bug, whereby after switching the unit off, it would revert back to factory settings. How stupid is that?
I am really surprised to see companies like NAD, Rotel, Cambridge Audio, fail to come out with a decently tested product.
I think, as you Danman said, they need to outsource so much of they IC stuff, they do not have control over the total quality of the product.
But these items are not cheap.

Silver Member

QUEBEC CANADA

Post Number: 456
I can tell you that after speaking to my dealer about your problem last night he did tell me that NAD are quite upset about these quibbles and are working hard to never have a repeat in their newer equipment coming out later next year. he told me that he has dealt with them for 25 years and said it was the best company for warantee service he has ever been involved with BUT they are a little behind in AV equipment and some of their suppliers have not lived up to their part of the bargain.

As I said, their 2 channel stuff is bullet proof and that is why their AV gear is so musical but when you add on sound processors and computer chips and seven channels to all that, it makes things complicated especially when you are trying to keep the sound they are known for. From what he told me, they are going to develop AV amps from scratch instead of adding on to what they already have this way QC issues will be very limited to what they are now.

I listened to a 773 last night and even though I am no fan of multi-channel equipment, that is one mother amp!!!!!!!!! HUGE!

By the way, I own a Mazda Protege 5 and it is the best car I ever had and I owned Hondas all my life!

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1468
Danman, funny you should say that. I own a Mazda 3 5 door. This is the first car that I have ever been satisfied with. I've owned 6 new cars in the last 8 yrs, this will be the last one for quite awhile. And yes I love my NAD!

Silver Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 733
Friend of mine is on his thrid RX-8 engine. Go figure...

Gorgeous car.

Regards,
Frank.

Silver Member

QUEBEC CANADA

Post Number: 458
Art...........6 cars in 8 years!!!!!!! Wow!

Frank 3 engines!!!! Wow again! My dealer has sold a ton of them and never had any issues like that! oh well, mechanical things do break.

Art, go to Amp section and click on my new thread for the NAD Master Series brochure. You will like what you see!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us