Cerwin Vega

Bronze Member
Username: Cody0

Ft. Worth , Tx US

Post Number: 20
Is anyone really a fan....I have heard many of you joke about the cv's but what is your real opinions of them. Any explanation of their strong points,,if any?

Silver Member
Username: Danman

QUEBEC CANADA

Post Number: 426
Big bad bloated bass!

Bronze Member

Ft. Worth , Tx US

Post Number: 21
Fair enough.....

Gold Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1066
Paul is a fan.

He uses them for HT, doesn't listen to music, has never heard a system image properly, uses Bose speakers as rears so doesn't know what a timbre-matched system can do, thought his CVs had enough bass that he didn't need a sub until he finally got one, makes fun of people who like NAD, Arcam and bookself speakers (and so we make fun of his CVs).

Not exactly the kind of expert you'd expect with 1700+ posts and counting...

Sorry Paul, I got tired tired of your joke posts today.

Silver Member
Username: T_bomb25

Dayton, Ohio United States

Post Number: 453
Peter I never thought I would agree with you,but whoah!,well said.Well I guess the word "dainty" will go to a new level shortly.

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1070
Tawaun, it's quite possible that we judged eachother much too quickly. I should have given you more slack as a newcomer when you first showed up. For that, I'm sorry.

Silver Member

Post Number: 458
Well,Peter me to and likewise Jan as well,I know im brash and a little flamboyant it is part of my nature.But once someone gets to know me Im a pretty good guy.Hey one thing I know and we all know is we all love this hobby{even Paul.}With all the different personalities on here is what makes this the greatest forum on the net,and I think everyone on here are very helpful to people in need of it.

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1071
{even Paul.}

LOL!

Thanks for the post! Consider the fence mended!

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 1390
I know the following may sound like I'm joking at Paul's expense but it's 100% true, Paul himself revealed it to us:

1. Peter also left out Paul's stated method of AUDITIONING speakers: Paul puts his head about six inches in front of the speaker and asks the salesperson to crank the volume.

2. There is also Paul's stated method of SHOPPING for speakers: he only goes to big-box chain stores like Ultimate Electronics, etc. and won't step foot into what he calls "boutique" stores (meaning anything else except for a big-box).

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!

Hell, I ROTFLMAO every time I remember those two things while reading one of his anti-bookshelf tirades that he puts out about every fifteen minutes.

Silver Member

QUEBEC CANADA

Post Number: 427
Heck........I thought he bought all his stuff at garage sales!

Silver Member
Username: Touche6784

USA

Post Number: 532
peter, that was great. i agree danman. you only find that crap in flee markets know.

Silver Member

Post Number: 463
Wow Paul is this true I am so sad to tell you that is the most ludacrus way to addition a speaker I have ever heard.Paul you are family,now I know why you like the CVs.Look Paul we will help you out of this crisis,im just at a lost for words.

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1081
Actually, I was wrong about a detail. Paul is actually using a 7.1 system and the Bose 161 are the back speskers. The surrounds are listed as "AAL83- 3-way surround Speakers". The only google I can find are these:

http://www.liebermancompanies.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=40_191_109_124& products_id=119&osCsid=6403df66e8138db5a5d5fbf9090ca93c

but these are two-way speakers... They look pretty dainty for Paul too, so that can't be right.

So no timbre match here. I guess it's worse!

Silver Member
Username: Devils_advocate

Post Number: 105
Of course for Paul's uses, does it really matter? As long as he hears lots of explosions, its all good.

Bronze Member
Username: Stereo_genious

USA

Post Number: 21
OOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHH, YYEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSS!!!!! Big, bad, bloated bass! I love bloated bass! I want Cerwin-vegas in my room NOW!

Username: Zorro

Post Number: 8
Man! I posted earlier on the wrong thread ...oh well

For those of you who have not had the privilege to meet Paul,

http://jazyy.info/celebrity_news2/buddy_ebsen_d.jpg

:-)

Silver Member
Username: Dakulis

Spokane, Washington United States

Post Number: 328
Geez,

I come in late and I see a Peter and T-Man love fest, glad you two recognized that you both have lots of good things to say and we can cut each other a little slack about how we get there.

Now, do we all have to have some fun at Paul's expense, really? Is that mature, HUH?

HE ACTUALLY PUTS HIS EAR 6" FROM THE SPEAKER, ARE YOU KIDDING ME? HAHAHAHAHAHAHA, I'M DYIN' HERE!!!!!

Gold Member

Post Number: 1396
kulish,

Nope I kid you not. He freely admitted this as if it were standard scientific speaker-evaluation technique.

Gold Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 1757
Yea, I guess Ultimate electronics only sells cheap 'big box' chain components.

http://www.ultimateelectronics.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=373&it emType=PRODUCT&iProductID=373

Like this cheap $15,000 pair of beginner speakers.

LOL....

Gold Member

Post Number: 1758
While it's true that I listen to speakers at normal distances, I also get close enough to listen to each driver individually to single out it's output while shopping. You'd be surprised how different tweeters sound when comparing them across various different brands/styles. The same goes with the mids, and low frequency drivers. Many will sound night and day different, both good and bad.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 4762

"You'd be surprised how different tweeters sound when comparing them across various different brands/styles. The same goes with the mids, and low frequency drivers."

Why would that suprise any of us?

Barnacle
Unregistered guest
"You'd be surprised how different tweeters sound when comparing them across various different brands/styles. The same goes with the mids, and low frequency drivers."

Damn! Is that why different speakers sound different?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1759
Since nobody in this forum pays attention or listens closely, I guess nobody cares how speakers sound. Anything small enough to fit the speakerstand would probably do??

Silver Member

Post Number: 109
"Since nobody in this forum pays attention or listens closely, I guess nobody cares how speakers sound."

Surely. All we care about is if our wives will approve of them.

"Anything small enough to fit the speakerstand would probably do??"

Well it has to look halfway decent too.

Silver Member
Username: Stu_pitt

NYC, NY

Post Number: 348
The only thing I look for when buying a speaker is an orange ring around the woofers. That's what seperates a man's speaker from "pint sized wine and cheese speakers" that your wives will let you have - only if you beg the right way.

Silver Member

NYC, NY

Post Number: 349
"Since nobody in this forum pays attention or listens closely, I guess nobody cares how speakers sound."

Is that why you have CV's and Bose?

Thanks for telling us that different speakers sound different. We were just arguing with each other this whole time because we are afraid to argue with our wives about all the toys we're not allowed to have. Now we actually have a leg to stand on when we try to compare differences in speakers.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 4777

"Anything small enough to fit the speakerstand would probably do??"

The only specs you need consider are H, W, D and weight! See, I said that months ago and got booed. Here it comes from Paul and now look at the response! I feel so persecuted!

Silver Member
Username: Joe_c

Oakwood, Ga

Post Number: 787
I didn't know if anyone had seen Paul's amazing theater, if not here it is:
https://www.ecoustics.com/cgi-bin/bbs/show.pl?tpc=1&post=377918#POST377918

As far as auditioning tweeters with your earhole inside them, I am not sure how you can discern the differences without every single one of those tweeters on the same exact crossover in the same exact enclosure with the same exact amp. And how is it you can discern any difference at Circuit City anyway, it's like 80db in there on a normal day? Oh well, Paul's setup is like a 1989 mazda 626 with a cosworth racing V8, massive hella foglights , stock transmission from Jeggs catalog, and a rear end from a 1979 yugo. Man that thing flies, would want the family riding in it though.

Paul , you know we love you and all of us missed you while you were gone, we are just so joyus to have you back so that we can rag on you.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1771
I find it interesting that music snobs like yourselves dont care enough about your quality of sound to listen up close to compare and contrast tweeter output of various speakers while shoppng.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1772
Holy crap joe.......
Thanks for reposting that pic......hahahahahahaha
BTW, the easiest and most surfing friendly way to post pics is to save the image location, and simply post that link.
https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/147409.jpg

And no, that's not my system......I do have pics over in the HT-Bragging area so you can go look for yourself if you want to see it so darn bad.

Silver Member

NYC, NY

Post Number: 352
Paul - If you're so concerned about sound quality - I know, H/T only - why CV and Bose? Do you mean to tell me there are no better speakers for H/T?

Silver Member

Oakwood, Ga

Post Number: 799
If I stuck my ear next to a Bose I might lose my hearing.

Bronze Member

USA

Post Number: 34
Paul, I do really like those Cerwin Vegas you have, but I really hate Bose.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1775
I bought the bose back speakers for no other reason than they met my restrictive physical application. I needed wallmount speakers of a certain size and shape for the available space above a pair of doors, and bought whatever I could find that met those needs. For that purpose they serve in their 'backup' role, they do their job. Luckily, their job doesnt doesnt have large requirements.

As for the CVs???? As soon as I find something that impresses me, I'll buy it. Just like I did with the SVS once I was finally impressed by another sub. Before that date, every sub I've ever heard sounded like crap. To this point in time, that's how other speakers sound to my ears........CRAP.

Silver Member

Post Number: 125
I'm still surprised you didn't like any of the Def Tech bipolar powered towers. I figured they would have been right up your alley.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1777
I listened to some, and they sounded OK, but nothing to write home about. Their specs read much better than they sound. The ones I listened to claimed to go down to 13hz................LOL

They were full of crap. The specs were great reading, but in reality it was more like a science fiction novel. Plus.....they werent loud enough, and you'd need guidewires to keep that skinny looking 'rail/tower' from tipping over.

Silver Member

Post Number: 127
I just meant the combo of bipolar design and the integrated powered sub. But yeah, you definately can't buy speakers off a piece of paper.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1779
I liked the part that included a powered sub, but disliked the bipolar design. Im not a fan of bipolar speakers, and I'll probably never own a pair. Now that I have the SVS, the DTech speakers arent even a potential candidate.

Silver Member

Post Number: 128
Out of curiousity, what qualities specific to the D-9's are you looking for? You've stated "big sound" before, but bipolar designs are known for giving off fairly big sound fields which is why I figured they might interest you.

Bronze Member
Username: Oknessad

Post Number: 80
Regarding "testing" a speaker by putting your ear very close to the speaker to listen to the different drivers.... Fine, you may hear differences in various mids tweeters etc across companies and no one will argue with that. They have different crossover points, different driver materials, weights, sizes and on and on. This makes testing this way pretty pointless because even if you found a mid driver that sounded really nice from 6 inches away, it wouldn't mean crap when you sat down and listened to the whole speaker like you're supposed to. Speaker companies aren't designing a speaker to be listened to one driver at a time. Your thoughts Paul?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1780
What can I say???

To put it in the simplest terms as possible, I'm waiting for something to 'wow' me, and it hasnt happened yet.

If something does catch my attention, I have no hesitation in making a change.(IE...the svs) I think my speakers do a much better job with movies than all of you give credit, and that's why nothing impresses me enough to pull the trigger on something new.

For me....going 'out' to the movies is a big downer and nothing but a large audio disappointment.

Silver Member

Post Number: 131
I do actually believe that one thing CV does well is HT, and I wouldn't fault you for keeping yours since they are for that specific purpose.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1781
"Speaker companies aren't designing a speaker to be listened to one driver at a time. Your thoughts Paul?"
----------------------------
True, but I think doing both is a better way to evaluate a speakers output. Any weakness in the quality of a tweeter is much more obvious close up. Please tell me that you arent assuming that I dont also evaluate speakers from a reagular listening distance???

Common sense should tell you that I'm NOT trying to evaluate the speaker aspects mentioned above while at close range.

Silver Member

Post Number: 484
I do agree that the CVs are good for H/T.But Paul Im not trying to complicate your life or anything like that,but dont you listen to music?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1784
No....
Not with my HT.

Occasionally through the computer while I'm pecking away here, or in the car, but that's about it.

I'll drag my massive vintage early '80s boombox outside if I'm cleaning the garage or working on something outside the house.......does that count??

HEH

Silver Member

Post Number: 486
Well,Paul maybe you need a new hobby,maybe its time for a new 2 channel setup.I dont use my H/T for music either because it is inferior for that.So I can understand you on that note.Well Paul I would hate to interrupt your explosions,but 2 channel is calling you man!

Bronze Member

USA

Post Number: 38
Paul, I'd give your Bose speakers an A for appearance, but I'm gonna have to give them an F for performance. But those Cerwin Vegas of yours are just too cool!

Silver Member

Oakwood, Ga

Post Number: 807
Wow Tawaun, I would have never thought to suggest that. Paul that is a wonderful idea, get back into music like you used to be. I bet you that you'd absolutely switch gears if you found the right separate system for music and pulled out the old stuff. It is heaven, plus it's two sep. systems. Can't get much more flashy. I know I love it.

Silver Member

Post Number: 137
LOL. I can envision Paul right now with a pair of Paradigm Atoms sitting in a closet enjoying some good old chamber music.

Silver Member

Oakwood, Ga

Post Number: 809
I think Paul would like some Dunlavy's powered by the biggest Mac in the world.

Silver Member

Oakwood, Ga

Post Number: 810
Tawaun, why the cheap shot at me again over those precious SDAT's?? Thought we were past that.

Silver Member
Username: Jimvm

Louisiana U.S.A.

Post Number: 156
Tawaun: ". . .dont you listen to music?"

Paul: "No.... Not with my HT."

Yes Paul, you do listen to music. I've mentioned it before in two posts that you've tiptoed around. All movies have music. You're hearing music every time you watch a movie, no matter what genre. If a movie didn't have any music in it, it would be so unbelieveably dull that you'd probably stop watching it after ten minutes.

Silver Member

Post Number: 490
No cheap shot Joe you keep ragging on the SDATs like you have heard them.I hope Kenny sends you a pair so you can look in the miror at yourself and not believe what you are hearing and the look on your face.Hey no hard feelings man and Rainmakers.

Silver Member

Oakwood, Ga

Post Number: 817
Just stop getting personal whenever someone disagree's with you, I am not attacking you.

Silver Member

Post Number: 491
DA, I wouldnt go that far Paul is gonna need something gigger than that,you know how he is and that part is not gonna change.

Anoni
Unregistered guest
Joseph is tutti frutti

Silver Member
Username: Donaldekelly

Washington, DC Usa

Post Number: 316
This is a surprise roast thread for Paul, huh?

"Cerwin Vega" is the speaker everyone is interested in buying - good thing someone started a thread.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1787
HEH....they must be jealous.

I watched a recent version of 'The Time Machine' tonight. Whoah....for a movie that tanked at the box office, it has a very nice DTSes sountrack:-) I wouldnt recommend this movie for those with a petite soundsystem because this movie wasnt meant to be listened to in such a weak and unimpressive manner.

For those individuals, I recommend sticking to the vanilla 'artsyfartsy' Sundance Festival flicks so you dont have to worry about wasting a perfectly good soundtrack on bad speakers.

Silver Member

Post Number: 492
Joe what do you mean personal,you always get upset when someone says something about them Rainmakers.Still its pretty ridiclous to judge a speaker without hearing it,but I still stand by what i said.

Silver Member

Oakwood, Ga

Post Number: 827
T, I am not going to take over this thread for our conflict, just look at what I said before your reply and see if it is warranted.

Silver Member

Post Number: 493
We dont have anything to conflict over,you feel the way you feel about the SDATs and you havent even heard them,I feel the way I feel about the Rainmakers and Ive heard them.So why argue about it,im not.So we are cool,no problems,dont worry Joe im not gonna Curse you out,I promissed everyone on here I wouldnt do that anymore.

Silver Member
Username: Dakulis

Spokane, Washington United States

Post Number: 362
Anybody heard the Chevy Vegas? My wife had one once. It was small, couldn't corner, had a crappy radio and it was that ugly, burnt orange, Chevy color. DO you think CV got it's burnt orange rings from the original Chevy?

I just felt like being totally irrelevant and off topic. It's late in the day and I wanna go HOME!!!

Silver Member

Oakwood, Ga

Post Number: 836
T, do you remember saying this?

Hey Joseph the Rainmakers they are quite good with percussion music?All speakers have compromises I love this speakers strengths well balanced very exciting they are a riot.

or this?

I see all the owners of these mediocore speakers are afraid to show thier faces.Im not trying to bash anyones speakers but most of these followers must go to Best Buy exclusively to post these untrue claims of these speakers.go to aspeacialty store to here some real speakers.Your ears will be rewarded greatly!

my problem with you is consistency Tawaun, I don't see it.

Silver Member

Oakwood, Ga

Post Number: 838
Then you say this?

.What makes you think that those Rainmakers are so good?Well I hate to bust your bubble they are not.I have had substantial time with them and wouldnt own them,and yes I would prefer the SDATs SBe 639 over them every day of the week.You have to hear something before you can judge,so stop blowing hot air!

please man be real.

Silver Member

Post Number: 494
Joe quit trying to study me like im your girl!Now look man, I already told you I didnt have a problem with you.What is it Joe do you want one or something?Dont you get it I am aloud to disagree with you on what ever I want to, and Im not obliggated to be consistent in your eyes my mind can change Ive listened to more systems then you have looked at in Stereophile and Absolutesound combined when you listen to a lot of gear your opinions of gear changes,thats called training your ear.Do you remember when I told you{just because I complemeted your speakers doesent mean that I dont think they are flawed.}Now, look Dude let go and stop quoting me all the time, its getting redundant.Now do I have to tell you again I stand by what I said,I would not own your Rainmakers it doesent mean I think they suck,they are just not my cup of tea and thats the reason why I bought the Arros.Now thats my opinion and I am intitled to that,get over it if you are happy with your speakers fine,more power to you,but everyones not gonna like them, nor does anyone have to like them.Now I am through with conversation with you If you cant handle that, I dont know what to tell you.Oh yeah you get real and stop harrasing me about your speakers,just sit down and listen to them man,Dammmmmm!

Silver Member

Post Number: 541
A guy is having a yardsale 2morro and he has a 2 pair of CV D9s for sale for $50 I might get them my friend is opening up a club.Yeah they are in in good shape to,lots of spls in the club perfect.

Silver Member

Post Number: 543
A guy is having a yardsale 2morro and he has a 2 pair of CV D9s for sale for $50 I might get them my friend is opening up a club.Yeah they are in in good shape to,lots of spls in the club perfect.

Silver Member

Washington, DC Usa

Post Number: 336
Hey Paul

Tawaun is joining your exclusive club.

They do have a certain appeal. I wanted to buy some at a yard sale last year. Four foot high monsters - I don't remember the model - they were CWs though. Thank God for the WAF (and a small apartment) that kept me from that purchase.

Silver Member

Post Number: 545
See, Don the key word for a club SPLs what they are ment for and the only thing they are good for.

Silver Member

Washington, DC Usa

Post Number: 338
I think I understand, T. It really puts out the volume and cuts through the noise.

I would like to own some just to play them loud on occasion.

I was just joking carelessly and didn't mean to say your tastes and Paul's are the same. You have recommended some pretty good speakers on these lists.

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1120
Tawaun,

If you buy them, audition them like you would the Ling's or SDAT's and give us a real review. Do it with an open mind; maybe we'll all be surprised!

Silver Member

Post Number: 549
Peter did you take your funny pill today?now thats funny,beleive me you wouldnt be.You can count everything they do good on a dogs paw.

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1128
It would be an interesting audition Tawaun. I dunno, perhaps a few stereotypes will be either dispelled or completely confirmed. Heck, if you'll going to buy them you might as well go through the motions for fun, right?

Silver Member

Post Number: 552
You know I would i wouldnt be able to help it anyway,my friends gonna buy them for $450,I will deffinately put that into my system a couple days with them wouldnt hurt,If I can unhook those Epiphonys thats gonna be hard.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1436
I agree with Peter, it'd be very interesting to read a detailed review by you of the D9s versus a real speaker like your Epiphonies, especially since we know that the only thing Paul uses his for is wham-bang-bam flicks.

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1133
I thought they were $50?

Silver Member

Post Number: 556
Yeah,but you gotta think Paul has had them for 20 years,he is lying if he says he doesent listen to 2 channel music on them.Thats his only system he has I dont buy it that he doesent listen to it.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1440
I dunno Tawaun, from what I can glean from his postings here, Paul is a strikingly simple- and single-minded person...it would not surprise me at all if he really has never listened to music on his CVs in 20 years. Some people really are that limited and narrow, and wouldn't be happy any other way.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1840
C'mon Eddie....

You're smarter than that. I only weaned myself off music as entertainment after I became a grownup. When I was a punk kid, I put those babies to good use. Now music is only for killing windshield time between points A-B......well, that is if my favorite radio personalities arent on...Ya know...Rush, Snow, O'Reilley, Hannity, Coulter, Drudge, Ingraham...

If none of them are on, I'll 'slum' and resort to playing music.

HEH

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1420
Edster, simple...Cro Magnon is more like it. That would be giving him credit not in evidence that he is more advanced than Australopithecus.

Silver Member

Post Number: 558
Petern Im buying them for$50 and my friend is buying them for $450 from me,he doesent know im getting this great deal on them.Their is no way I would pay $450 for those crude wanna be Peveys.If it wasnt for him buying them I wouldnt even waste $50 on them I wish I could get them for free,now that would be good deal to go in my garage while I work on my Kawasaki ZX-10R

Gold Member

Post Number: 1857
geez,

Whatta cheapskate.......trying to profit off his own buddy.......LOL

Way to go champ!!! No real friend would do a cheap stunt like that to take advantage of a friend.

I'll be you lied to him telling them you paid what???? 350-400?????............LOL

Hell, for 50, I'd give them away to a friend. Heck, even if I paid 400 I'd give them away. I guess some people are just born cheapskates, and some werent.

Hell I even gave away my 48"Toshiba to a stranger when I was finished with it.(still worked too) I bet you would try to hock top dollar for an old piece of electronics and try to peddle it off on your friends....wouldnt ya?? It takes a certain kind of person who would want to profit off his own friends.

Silver Member

Post Number: 560
Im a cheapskate and your not,judging by your gear your the cheapskate,I would never cheat myself the way you doing.WOW! of all things you calling someone a cheapskate on this forum,you a very funny character!!!

Bronze Member

Ft. Worth , Tx US

Post Number: 22
You sound like a bunch of kids ..... I have only been on this forum for a week or so...but through all of my questions I have not gotten a solid answer from anyone...all I have gotten is people being sarcastic and poking fun at eachother....I know you guys like to have fun and make this forum a fun thing as well as insightful. The only way I have gotten any answer is by deciphering through the sarcastic remarks back and forth....Look, most of you guys are very intelligent and knowledgable about these subjects, but grow up and quit taking little cheap shots at eachother and BE INSIGHTFUL to people that might not bea as knowledgable as yourselves. Have fun but not at the expense of eachother. I have a sign in my house that reads " intelligent people talk about Ideas, average people talk about events, small people talk about other people" .... I am not discrediting any of you, i am rather praising you, but quit wasting your talents and time with this petty talk. Kindly, ME

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1135
I gotta say Tawaun, I hope he's more of an aquaintaince than a friend. I wouldn't feel proper making such a profit off a friend.

:-(

Silver Member

Post Number: 562
He is deffinately a aquaintaince ,Peter.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1447
Cody,

if you haven't figured out by now, through all the sarcastic back-and-forth remarks on this thread by the regulars, that Cerwin Vegas are regarded as running jokes (almost as laughable as Bose gear) by everyone except Paul who's the self-designated forum punching bag, then that's pretty funny in itself. I imagine reading comprehension was not one of your strong suits in school?

BTW, if you want a more cut and dried, strictly moderated source of answers to your audio questions I'd suggest either of these:

avsforum.com
hometheaterforum.com

Has it never occurred to you to GOOGLE up other audio forums? Ecoustics is hardly the only game in town. In other words, if this ain't your cup of tea, no one's exactly begging you to stick around.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1450
hey Peter, cut Tawaun some slack there---he's gotta pay for all those toys (gazillion speakers, cars, even a motorcycle!) SOMEHOW or another! : )

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1428
Cody, hang around for awhile, get to know us and then comment on our manners. Granted they can be pretty poor but the ongoing war between audiophiles/music lovers and Paul is mostly for fun. Occasionally we bite but not often. So like I said, get to know us...we ain't so bad.

Perhaps that sign in your room should end with "tiny people talk about anything but themselves". Insight is the first sign that change is possible. Relax and enjoy the forum.

Silver Member

Washington, DC Usa

Post Number: 351
Art wrote

"...the ongoing war between audiophiles/music lovers and Paul is mostly for fun. Occasionally we bite but not often. So like I said, get to know us...we ain't so bad."

I agree with this some. I think the running battle with Paul is mostly in fun and Paul has said he takes no offense.

But, I often feel like going to another more civilized forum. Thanks for the tip Edster.

Mc_X_iT
Unregistered guest
Cody,
seeing as throughout this whole post you have not got an answer, here goes:
Cerwin Vega speakers are purely a MAN speaker, something that might play too loud for some members (cheapskate Tauwana, Don Smelly ect.). They are capable of producing ear shattering db that would make Klipsch owners $hit thier pants. My D9's handle hip hop music better than any Paradigm, Klipsch, or B&W I have ever herd, and I would not trade them for any "lemon" speaker that many members of this forum swear by.
In simpler terms: Cerwin Vega's are the Hummer of speakers, only made for REAL men.

Silver Member

Washington, DC Usa

Post Number: 353
My point is made

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 557
unfortunately Mc hip hop is 99% synthesized so its not real music neiter is rap. so in reality you opinion means very little. have you even heard speakers made by the companies you mentioned or did you do a google search?

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 559
also, Mc you got beat by edster, he already let him know that CVs really are for the "real" men that make up for lack of manliness.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1869
oh joy....

The fun continues.

LOL

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
what did he say? Hip Hop is music? LMAO ! :-)

after all Paul is not the only one, who would have thought....oh my god, nuff said !

Bronze Member

Ft. Worth , Tx US

Post Number: 23
Well Edster, stop talking on this thread and I wont have to hear you sarcastic, childish remarks. I think you're right ... this may not be my cup of tea... as I am not the biggest speaker guru..I am just a person that likes good solid sound in my system and that was looking for "expert advice" I see now that this forum is for bullshiting and not giving consumer advice.I was just reminding y'all to be good to eachother because you really dont know when someone really might get offended. Either way...Y'all take it easy and thanks for the time.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1461
you really are amusing, Cody. You seem to think that 1. forums like this exist IN ORDER to answer your audio questions, and 2. anybody should really give a flying f*ck whether you're offended or not.

Here's a clue: the universe does NOT revolve around Cody Allison...ok?

sorry to be the one to break that to you.

Silver Member

Washington, DC Usa

Post Number: 358
Cody

I just signed up at home theater forum. It looks more civilized over there.

I don't know that we will get anywhere trying to change the culture here.

There is a lot of good info here if you can ignore some of the posts in the meantime. It is up to you.

Bronze Member

Ft. Worth , Tx US

Post Number: 24
I do not see anywhere where I was being self centered. The posts you have replied to me on have shown me your maturity level. I do think that forums help people and you are a sorry piece of $hit if you dont care about others feelings especially the people you write to everyday. I do not believe that everyone in here is as careless as you edster. But for people like you, there is no help...I feel sorry for you. I am through replying to your posts as they are a waste of my time. Don, thanks for the response and I glad to see that there are REAL people out there. I will not give up on this forum all together as I have read somethings that have been worth the reading. Thanks to everyone else that have helped and that care and help others. Keep it up AND have fun. Thanks again don.

Silver Member

Post Number: 566
I'll tell everyone,something and use this for future refference.Who ever is easilly offended this is not the forum for you.It would probably be a good Idea to go somewhere else.So all crybabies and whiners get lost and dont come back,just pick your little fragile feelings up and go over to audioreview and audiogon where they have $10,000 to 100,000 or more,and watch them laugh at you for having what is to them cheap gear and get disrespected for being poor or having poor taste.In otherwords where ever you are you are gonna get your criticized so get used to it thats life,something you should have learned in school so, get over it and grow up,we are not gonna baby you here and put a bottle in your mouth like 1 year old,this is for future members and current members and especially guest.

Bronze Member

Ft. Worth , Tx US

Post Number: 25
I was trying to get some simple answers from you bunch of fu#$ing a$$holes, which I did not recieve...So have fun amoungst your sour selves and fu( the rest of us......I'm out.

Silver Member

Post Number: 568
Bye,Cody and dont let the door hit your Punk as. on the way out!!

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1150
So all crybabies and whiners get lost and dont come back

He as just calling for some civility. Was that really called for?

Silver Member

Post Number: 570
Here we go again Peter,I didnt just mean him I meant anyone.Look what what he was saying and knowone is not supposed to say anything back to him yeah right.So Peter do we really have to go thru this again man whats up?

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1152
I thought we were making an effort to make this a better place is all.

Silver Member

Post Number: 571
We are i thought,If he is so unhappy he should leave and quit whining,I mean come on if we can make it thru Pauls crude comments surely a little humor isnt to much for him,his questions were getting answered and then he started cursing people out if that was me peolple would have reacted the same way or worse.

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1153
Yeah, you're right. His initial question was almost flame bait anyway, then he disappears from the thread only to reappear much later to complain.

Perhaps my only suggestion (only a suggestion) is to not respond to obvious baiting, or respond in a very neutral tone. No point in droping to his level and giving him ammunition to use against you.

Silver Member

Post Number: 573
Yeah your right,im working hard to keep my emotions under control,I guess he just irritated me.You know Peter we have came along way in us getting along with each other.Im glad we got past the bickering and complaining we were both doing and even me Jan arent at each others throats all the time,it really has been alot more pleasant your a good guy Peter,well you have the green light to calm me down when ever I get to excited,I think Cody bothered me because we have all made tramendous strides lately to get along with each other since we are on here as much as we see our wives,I just didnt want him coming in screwing up our chemistry.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1453
Don wrote awhile back,

"But, I often feel like going to another more civilized forum."

I think many of us feel that way.

Silver Member

Post Number: 575
Art,sometimes I do but the rest are not very active,and their no fun at all,I mactually a member at audio review but they are real snobby and its like being in high after lunch your ready to leave.

Silver Member

Post Number: 576
Art,sometimes I do but the rest are nto very active,and their no fun at all,Imactually a member at audio review but they are real snobby and its like being in high school after lunch your ready toleave.

Silver Member

Post Number: 578
Art,sometimes I do but the rest are not very active,and their no fun at all,Imactually a member at audio review but they are real snobby and its like being in high school after lunch your ready to leave.

Silver Member

Post Number: 579
Sorry bad bad typing or a glitch.

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1154
Okay, I'll say it...

I personnaly don't think that Paul being Paul should give him a free pass to be a jerk about bookshelf speakers, especially with new posters asking for advice. It was funny at the beginning, but it's just tedious now and leads to flame wars. What's the point?

When it's a pertinent thread, he could simply make his point without being rude. I own and prefer large speakers, but that doesn't mean I act like Paul does. I think if paul were to cut it out, then that would solve half of our flame war problems.

(Tawaun, thanks for the kind words!)

Silver Member

Post Number: 580
We all have our days though Art,evryday isnt gonna be good and happy and thats the reason I come here I have fun like most of the people on here Im familiar with them and I know when someones not in a good mood.Its more than just audio with this forum,we often go to different subjects of other hobbies we have,politcs{I know Jan doesent like that issue}different parts of our lives.It doesent mater what forum you go to you are gonna have to get to know the guys that are on there or have been on there before you got there.Thats something I appreciate more now than I did When I first came on here{you,Peter,Jan,Edtser,David,and John A.and Stu}helped me understand.It was rocky but hey I listen and pay more attention to peoples feelings now.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1462
> I do think that forums help people and you are a sorry piece of $hit if you dont care about others feelings especially the people you write to everyday.

You know the problem I have with you Cody is twofold:

1. You think you are ENTITLED to being helped when you come here. Again, I ask you: do you think forums exist for the SOLE purpose of "helping" people like you?

Nobody insulted you (before your little tirade that is), albeit they might've been less than attentive to your needs---so what? Just ask again, politely---not this dumb@ss "oh you guys are all so childish, you didn't help me" bullsh*t.

I mean, who the hell do you think you are, coming here and then stomping your little foot and throwing a tantrum just because nobody's jumping up to answer your question? Are you too dense to use Google to find reviews of Cerwin Vega speakers, or just plain lazy?

2. It's hard to give a flying f*ck about the "feelings" of people like you who are so ridiculously THIN-SKINNED and have such a bloated sense of entitlement, AND are pompous and rude to top it off.

Yes I've been increasingly rude to you too---I like giving people a taste of their own medicine.

Silver Member

Post Number: 581
I still think Paul is funny most of the time,but sometimes,well he has been on a tear lately.I really dont think Paul can be Paul without his comments about bookshelf speakers,I agree he shouldnt do it when new people come on here for help.I think that was what Jan has been trying to tell him,but sometimes Paul can be Knowlegable he does make the forum interresting and quite predictable.{well himself anyway}

Silver Member

Post Number: 582
Dont worry Eddie I dont think he will be back,Do you realize he started this whole thread?like he read through our threads and wanted us to thrash Paul,and I think we all fell for it to.And then he turned around and acted like that since were not ragging on Paul anymore about his CVs,it sure seems that way,tell me if im missing something here.He did say we were all As.holes.

Silver Member

Post Number: 583
what the hell is going on?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1464
Oh I'm not worrying about him, trust me. Yeah right now I am thinking this guy's not playing with a full deck, lol.

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1156
About what Tawaun?

Silver Member

Post Number: 584
Oh he was he was just being very slick starting the whole thread,knowing we would tackle Paul,and then throwing it in our face and calling us as.holes after he got his entertainment.I just wish we wouldnt have fell for it,not saying that Paul didnt deserve it because he deffinately did,it just shouldve been one of us to start a bash thread like that hell we have earned that,but someone like Cody Allison

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1158
Just ignore Cody...

Did you buy the CVs Tawaun?
Are you going to audition and review them for us?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1465
I dunno Tawaun, seems to me you're giving this guy a lot more credit than deserves...I doubt he's clever enough to think all that up.

Anyways I'm really looking forward to reading a review of the CVs from you.

Silver Member

Post Number: 585
The guy changed his mine and said his son in Florida wanted them.That sucked I did wanna hear them.

Silver Member

Post Number: 586
Sorry Guys!

Gold Member

Post Number: 1880
The reason Cody became frustrated is because this forum is filled with music snobs incapable of answereing the question. As if any of you have experience with the brand?? As if any of you would give an honest evaluation anyway in order to preserve your personal biases for weakling teeny-weeny speakers??? A review from any of you on the CVs would be about as unbiased and honest as a review of the President done by that hillbilly Carville on CNN.

The way I see it is that I'm the only person with experience and the ability to respond regarding CVs, but you guys go ahead and keep blabbing 'incorrect' heresay just like those biased fools on CNN do to facilitate and push their personal agenda down the american publics throat without regard for truth. They're simply hoping that there are a few 'suckers' out there who might nibble on the bait and actually naively mistake what they are being told as the unbiased truth.

Silver Member

Post Number: 591
What makes you Qualified,you have to listen to music to be a expert on them, you gave up on them 20 years ago what kind of a loyal owner are you.Why dont you just send them to the nearest corner pub where they belong at anyway, so they reach hair raising SPLs like their ment for instead of them playing second fiddle to some 200lb reject big lots treasure chess looking sub that, wouldnt know rythum and timing if Janet Jackson was its teacher!

Silver Member

Post Number: 592
All of us are snobs Huhh?Most people on here dont spend anymore money than you do,and they are all on here trying to optamize what they have,but you dont you continue to go off saying some dumbest sh$t Ive ever heard anyone say for someone owning audio gear.You have past tense over the hill speakers that are easy to drive and are not critical with system matching yet you continue with every post that you make to make yourself look more and more like a guy with a serious ginatellia problem that its sad.Paul get it thru your head man YOU ARE NOT FUNNY ANNYMORE!You have one of the easiest dummy proof speakers ever created and you cant even get them to sound their best,thats pathetic,you should be ashamed of yourself.You are a joke, but you know what?you already know that though,so its no need for me to remind you,because you look in the mirror at yourself everyday.Paul the 80s are over with man its time grow up now dont you think?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1881
Since I watch a lot of movies(which happened to be filled with music), that makes me an experienced music listener.

I've listened to plenty of overpriced & undersized music snob speakers through the years, and none of them measure up. They would provide better service as doorstops on a breezy day.(providing they wont blow over by the slightest breeze). Tawaun, you're about as believable as that nutcase who said he would give away 5pairs of SDAT towers. What's even more funny is that more than a few regulars ate the bait and swallowed the hook. Can you say suckers, anyone? And these are the individuals alleged to be giving reliable advice??.......LOL

Silver Member

Post Number: 593
Paul how old are you?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1882
You're asking me 'my' age?? I would expect a question of that tone to come from an adult, and not a kid who has his stereo assembed in a bedroom inside his parents house.(like yourself)

Silver Member

Post Number: 594
Ahh its ok Paul your still a teanager,now I understand why you are such a ignorant fool my 9yr old daughter is more mature than you little man.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1455
Hey TW, I'm a member on about 5 other audio forums and I don't think I've reached 10 posts on any of them. A lack of spontaneity makes them far less interesting than this one can be at it's best. At it's worst this forum is tiring.

Eddie did I see you have a tirade up there somewhere? Goodness gracious I haven't read words from you like that since you chewed my behind the first day I was here. Funny how things work out. Hopefully Cody will get over himself and join us.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
ok Paul....How old are you?

Silver Member

Post Number: 596
Thats probably reason everyone comes here Art,but like you just said it can get tiring and Paul is becoming the reason for it,but im gonna ignore his childish remarks from this day foward,and I would advise anyone else who wants to learn usefull imformation to do the same{well atleast Im gonna try}

Gold Member

Post Number: 1478
LOL Art, I had completely forgotten about that! Reminds me of that scene in "Forrest Gump" when Tom Hanks quotes his mother: "Life is like a box of chocolates...you never know what you're gonna get." (Unfortunately I can't quite get his half-retarded Southern accent to come out through my keyboard.)

Gold Member

Post Number: 1888
Tawaun, you outed yourself in one of your early threads that you lived at home with your parents. That's why I thougt it was funny that you were asking my age as if you were a grownup. As for my age??...none of your darn business. My 14th wedding anniversary is in less than 1 month, so that should give you a general idea.

Silver Member

Post Number: 151
My condolences Paul.

Silver Member

Post Number: 597
Well Paul Ive been married for 3 years,my wife just got back from Iraq,so im very grown its no mystery what my age is its in my profile,I havent lived with my parents since I was 17,so I just thought I would make that your Darned buisness.Yeah and leave the politics off Jans told on countless ocations,some dont want to hear that stuff.

Gold Member
Username: Kegger

Warren, MICHIGAN

Post Number: 2583
As to the original thread question.

Good CV's "that is early ones, mainly the D series" were a serious rock speaker
that pouned quite nicely but were not offensive to listen to like many "loud" speakers
can be. No they don't image very well if really at all but they do have a fairly flat tone
to them that can as most know rock the house.

If you want to play clasical or listen to some good jazz then no they aren't for that.

They are designed to play loud and hold together where most speakers can't.
Yes they will work very well for home theatre and give you a large pressence.

I have probably 30 pairs of speakers including a pair of D9's also had D5's and D7's.
I keep the D9's for that occassion I want to rock hard. If I found some at a garage sale
cheap I would definatly buy them. I also have a pair of yamaha PA speakers that do
the same. "yes CV is not the only one" Plus many speakers that are completely
different with no resemblence at all and I like those to.

I have both a surround setup and many 2 channnel systems and I would not be happy
with what the D9's do for most music unless you just want to crank it. But I do find
myself trying to build a system that can do what the D9's do and play good quality
music. For that I had to build a Tri amped system with tubes running the upper mids
to highs and solid state running 2 12" bass/low mid drivers and solid state running subs.
Because I like my music to have some athourity but still have the subtle highs and creamy
midrange but I can't afford a speaker that can do that. So over time I've acquired what I have
to make a system do what I want. A good smaller speaker has some very appealing qualitys
that a CV just can't do but for the most part the opposite is true also.

As they say speakers are full of comprimises and CV is definatly full of them but they also
offer things others just can't do so it depends on what you want them for and what you expect
from them that would determine if they are for you.

I have heard many of the newer ones and they are just plain hollow, nothing like there ancestors

Gold Member

Post Number: 1891
Kegger,
Well said.....

I pretty much agree with everything. It's nice to see that at least one person knows what I'm talking about.

I've never made false claims about these speakers being something in which they arent, but when people talk about the CV harshness, or sounding just plain awful, they are simply showing that they have no clue about what they speak.

I guess my point being is that, of course, these arent as refined as the many large high end speakers selling today for many thousands of dollars, but they arent at the extreme opposite end of the spectrum either. They, in fact, make excellent speakers for home theater. If I were a music enthusist who enjoys 'cheese & wine' music, these babies definitely arent for you, but if used for the proper application, there is no substitue.
If I find a speaker that impresses me more for HT purposes, I'll buy it. So far, I havent seen any that have caught my interest or impressed me.

Gold Member
Username: Kegger

Warren, MICHIGAN

Post Number: 2584
Paul I don't condone how you and others talk to each other on these boards and
how many constantly put one another and there gear down with cutesy little phrases.

But I did feal the need to say something regarding my thoughts on what the CV's
have to offer. If someone likes there qualities that is fine and expressing
them to someone so they may understand how they can be used is great, many people
come here for info and should be able to get some feedback from others who own or
have owned the gear they are interested in without having to put down others.
I don't put much stock into someones oppinion when they have to trash something
else to make what they are talking about sound better and I believe others are the same.

You have put down many a gear and many others have put down what you like, don't know
who started it but for this forum to truly be helpful I don't believe that kinda
stuff is needed. I'm not telling anyone what they can and can't say it is just my thoughts.

Paul this post was not directed at you but just my observations.
Everyone have a great day!

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1164
Paul,

I dont think anybody would be trashing CVs anywhere as much if you hadn't put a target on them with your own remarks about other speakers. It's very similar to GMAs being associated with Mauimusicman.

So stop doing it and in time others will drop it too.

Silver Member

QUEBEC CANADA

Post Number: 454
Paul it is fairly easy to criticise peoples gear but to be honest, you are in no position to judge anyone else. I am a firm beliver that you do not have to spend 10 million dollars to have a nice set-up but your critcism of NAD and other peoples gear is getting boring! If you like your stuff........GREAT! But to be honest 99% of us don't really care what you own as it is not the pinnical of hi-fidelity to most of us BUT it is to you and in the end that is what counts! The more you drown your sorrows of your constant justification of owning what you do on us, the more we will return the favour.
Have a great day.

Silver Member
Username: Gavincumm

Post Number: 234
paul...did you ever audition the RBH speakers that I reccomended to you a couple of months ago? I think you will be shocked.

Luxor
Unregistered guest
I liked Vegas back in the 80s when cranking metal was all I cared about. I now know there are much better speakers out there. Somehow I do not think a Vega owner is going to get off to a speaker with imaging that not only tells you the flutist is in back right of the stage but also that they are standing up. Muchless get excited that not only are all the notes perfect but you can hear the timbre of the resonance off the body of a string instrument.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us