Got my NAD T763, "It's excellent"

Username: 66gtkcode

San Francisco, California USA

Post Number: 1
John A. & Gregory Stern,

Thanks for your help. I got the T763 and hooked up last night. All I have to say is "WOW", this thing is amazing. None of the problems that I've read about here on these threads have occurred. There is no popping when watching TV and switching to a channel that's Dolby Digital. No hum or hissing. (I can hear a very, very small amount of white noise with my ear pressed against my Stratus Gold's, but it's a receiver, not separates, what do you expect.) I would never ever hear it if I was even 2 ft away from the mains with it cranked up to +10 db. The different listening modes are actually tolerable for even 2ch music CD's (minus EARS of course, that's garbage). But I was pleasantly surprised since I've always been a 2ch only music listener. I've tried all different modes, DVD digital coax connects using both DTS and DD, SACD/DVD-A 6.1 analog connects, coax CD connects, Optical SAT connects, and 2ch analog VCR connects. I have all video running through the receiver. There is no problems what so ever. The thing is rock solid and sounds great.

Also, I know for a fact that this is new stock, since it came directly from Lenbrook. I asked before they shipped it. Maybe they've fixed a lot of the issues.

Anyway, thanks a lot guys,

Jason Hildebrand

Silver Member
Username: Johnny

Missouri

Post Number: 198
Jason,

Great story! I am glad that you got what you were looking for. I am sure that the T763 with the Stratus Golds sounds like audio heaven. I have a T762 paired with some PSB Image series speakers and I absolutely love them...I can only imagine what your Stratus speakers sound like with the NAD. You have a superb system and I wish you many years of listening pleasure!

Post Number: 2
Thanks Johnny, I'm very happy and yes, lets hope it's for years.

St. Louis Blues
Unregistered guest
I've been a little bit behind posting- but I received my new T763 about three weeks ago. Same experience here-- No problems yet (and it appears I have the 'older' firmware version). Running s-video sources through it- no problem to a Sony Wega tv. haven't tried w/ HD yet- since I don't have an HD setup.

Here's a quick recap of my experiences so far--
Setup wasn't difficult (though I am going to have to upgrade my polk RM-6600 setup to some more substantial speakers). I do notice the 'white noise' discussed above- however, it is only with my ear up to a speaker (so- not an issue at all). Also- in certain sound modes- I get a 'weird' effects on certain dialogue from my dishplayer source- which I attibute to the quality of signal being processed- as the same problem doesn't appear on better quality sound inputs. Some slight fan noise (not as bad as a harddrive in my dishplayer)- when everything is muted IF you are close and listening for it (again- not really an issue).

All in all- a huge steup from my sony receiver- as it really does a much better job processing dolby signals. Have it running w/ Pioneer 563a DVD player and x-box. Remote is good too (much better than the 'fancy' sony remote I used to use).

Next on the list-- a new 5.1 system that can take advantage of receiver.

Username: Gatt767

Malta

Post Number: 8
Good to hear these good reviews regarding the T763. I am the owner of a T762 and I quite satisified with this receiver. It combines NAD amplification, with great setup flexibility compared to older NAd receivers.

Bronze Member
Username: Jonmoon

Post Number: 22
Jason, welcome to the NADT763 brotherhood. I have had mine since early January. I love the receiver and have had no complaints/bugs.

My receiver drives Martin Logan Montages for mains, with Phase Technolgy center, surrounds and sub. I am definitely going to replace the Phase Tech (Power 8) sub with, most likely, an SVS sub as soon as I can spare the cash.

Hope you continue to enjoy the receiver and spread the joy. You are one of us, one of us.

Username: Stevetaylor

Boston, MA USA

Post Number: 1
Me too...

Bought it over the weekend, set it up last night and did the usual ear comparison to my older system setup with various CD's.

A definite increase in sound quality and clarity. Some accoustic guitar parts were astoundingly different. I've played guitar since the 70's so I tend to focus on this type of music.

After comparing to Denon 3805, Yamaha 2400, H/K 7200 I went for T763 for the sound and not the extra features. But I think that the H/K 7200 would have given the T763 a run for the money expecially at $800 that they are going for now. Similar power and more features but I couldn't get to demo one.

It came down to Denon and NAD. I really liked the Denon but one factor is I don't want 7.1 channels so I went for a simplier machine with better sound.

Hope it holds up since it's a great piece of equipment.

Post Number: 3
Jonathon,

Yes, one of us...

I actually had the T761 for about two years and had a two blow-up and one custom made for me by NAD that went south about two months ago. Even with that, I stayed with NAD because of the beautiful sound generated by their receivers and amps. I also have a full surround system with no sub and couldn't be happier with the full aspects of this unit. It surpassed my expectations. For all of you having problems, I feel for you having gone through it myself and thought about switching and now, I'm glad I didn't.

Silver Member
Username: John_a

Post Number: 414
Thanks for the report, Jason. It is easy to understand why people post when they have a problem. A positive report is pure generosity.

EARS messes up good stereo, I agree, but I find it enhances VHS tape movies by generating surround sound at least as well as Prologic 2. Some movie DVDs are two-channel, and EARS improves those, too, imho. Real multichannel is a lot better, of course. But for most music you are better off with stereo.

Post Number: 4
John, I couldn't agree more. 2ch is superior for music. I was just saying it was way better than I could have imagined.

I watched some standard 2ch TV and VCR audio last night just for testing. I listened to both the DTS NEO6 and Prologic II and found that both are superior to the previous standard Prologic, but I did not try EARS for that. I will be curious to try that out tonight.

One last question John A. The reason I ask you is because I've followed a lot of your post and I like your philosophies on sound and setup. Do you know or can you suggest a great mid level sub that would fit into my setup well. Again, PSB Stratus Gold Mains, PSB 8C center, Vienna Acoustic Waltz surrounds, a mock Pioneer 47-A DVD, NAD T761 and Nakamichi MB10 5 disk CD. Also I've heard several opinions on setup of a sub. Going directly out of the receiver and going parallel off your mains. Any opinions on this.

Thanks again. I will let you know of future updates to my system.

Username: Stevetaylor

Boston, MA USA

Post Number: 3
Spoke too soon above about how wonderfull T 763 is.

See my post on panel button problem.

I will be returning and getting another one and give it another chance.

Silver Member

Post Number: 415
Jason,

Thanks! I don't know so much about makes of sub. REL look good to me; you can change between line-level and speaker-level. Where I am the REL Quake is more expensive than it should be. I have a Gale 3080W and it is fine. In any case, the LFE channel from the receiver is probably better for HT (it has its own track on the DVD), but the speaker level connection can be preferred just for extending the bass of your main speakers, for stereo.

Silver Member

Post Number: 417
Jason,

I can only compare EARS with standard Prologic. EARS does a much better job at spreading the front sound sources between left, centre, and right channels. In addition, it gives clear separation of surround left and right.

It would be interesting know your impressions of EARS, DTS NEO6 and Prologic II.

Best wishes.

Post Number: 5
As far as the sub connection goes, yeah that's what I figured, gain one thing and lose another.

Yeah I've compared them all. I found that EARS sounds a little muffled. I probably would not have noticed if I wasn't comparing it to the new Prologic II or the NEO6. It does do a nice spread though and I wish I would have tried a while ago compared to regular Prologic.

Between the Prologic II and NEO6, There are actually four choices in the NAD. NEO6 Cinema, NEO6 Music, Prologic II Cinema and Prologic II Music. I found that I like the Prologic II cinema for Movies and TV, because of the subtle more ambient use of the rears. NEO6 cinema sounds a little to affected and sounds like there's weird artifacts and processing coming through. But for Music, DTS NEO6 and there consumer based cheating methods actually sounds full and gives you the sense that music is filling the room. It's pretty nice as far processing 2ch music. But you already know that I prefer stereo over surround for music and use my surrounds out of an A+B box so I can still get the use of them when listening to 2ch music. That's still the best that I've heard out of this system.

Silver Member

Post Number: 419
Jason,

That's good. Thanks. I haven't heard these newer formats.

On another thread, AIRFORCEONE posted this interesting link on subs:-

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/1041.html

Bronze Member
Username: Hab

Post Number: 15
I'll keep this as simple as I can. I too love the NAD sound & think it is probable the best sound around for the money. But did any of you guys not having probles use a sub? I have gone through a 752 & a 753 in the last two weeks & both were problem free until I tried to insert a cable into the sub out, even when the other end of the cable is connected to nothing. When i did this I got that annoying hum/hiss/squeal that is impossible to get rid of, and my S-Video feed got just awful. I tried everything to get rid of this on both receivers but nothing worked. The dealer sent a technician here & he couldn't stop it. We tried both in his shop & the same problem....as soon as the sub cable is connected all goes awry.
They are shipping me a new 753 but honestly I now expect the same problem with it.
So basically, what I am asking is:
DO ANY OF YOU GUYS HAVE YOUR NAD'S SET UP WITH A SUB AND STILL OPERATE PROBLEM FREE?

Bronze Member
Username: Airforceone

Post Number: 96
I did not have that particular problem with the 773 receiver at all. The sub and sub cable caused no increased noise when connected.

Silver Member

Post Number: 426
Paul,

I have an NAD T760. It developed hum, now fixed, because of component failures though overheating on the AC3/DTS board. When it did hum, it was worst in all surround modes (which use that board), and the sub cable acted like a long antenna. It picked up mains hum from nearby lighting fixtures, and generally made things much worse. Now the unit is fixed, even a very long sub cable has no detrimental effect at all. Yes, it is problem-free.

Jason,

Going back to matrixed surround processing from two-channel. I find EARS and Prologic are a whole lot better when given a digital two-channel input to the receiver. This makes some sense: they work on a digital signal in the first place. So, if you take for example CD, and use the analogue out to the receiver, you are going through D-to-A, then A-to-D, then processing. The two-channel digital signal may not be audibly very different from the analogue one, but is much degraded as regards what the processing can do.

I should think that will be just the same with the different forms of Prologic II and NEO6. If you can try it, I for one would be interested to know.

In practical terms, for CD, I always use the digital input for EARS, and the analogue "CD" input, from the same source, for stereo. While I agree with you completely about stereo, there are some CDs I have where the recording was "natural" and was made in a spacious and echoing acoustic like a church. EARS is then especially effective.

Post Number: 6
John A.

That's a curious conclusion. I too will be curious to see if the decoding will sound better trying the straight analog outs from my CD player. I will do a test back and forth and let you know what I find. It will be interesting considering that the digital out in standard 2ch sounds sooo much better than 2ch analog out in stereo mode on my system. I'll let you know...

Silver Member

Post Number: 439
Jason.

I meant that I expect the processed surround sound to be better with digital output from a digital source (e.g.CD) than with the analogue output from the same digital source. In the latter case there are more conversions to degrade the signal: D -> A, A -> D, then processing.

Post Number: 7
John A.

That's a curious conclusion. I too will be curious to see if the decoding will sound better trying the straight analog outs from my CD player. I will do a test back and forth and let you know what I find. It will be interesting considering that the digital out in standard 2ch sounds sooo much better than 2ch analog out in stereo mode on my system. I'll let you know...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us