Voice matching Boston Acoustics VR-12

Username: Scotdc

Las Vegas

Post Number: 1
Help! I'm in love with my old Boston Acoustics VR-12 center channel, one of the finest ever made IMO. I'm upgrading to Outlaw separates (7125/990) and looking to upgrade my mains. I've heard so much about timbre-matching that my head's spinning, but I'm not real sure about the new Boston floor speakers (cant find them to audition here in Vegas either). Can anyone recommend something based on experience? The Rockets by Onix look nice.....

Silver Member
Username: Dakulis

Spokane, Washington United States

Post Number: 309
I've heard the VR-50s ($700/pair), VR-60s ($900/pair) and the VR-1s ($1000/each). I can't believe you can't find them somewhere in Las Vegas and they would roughly timbre match your center.

I compared the above to the Ascend Audio 170s and found that the Ascends had equal or better sound at 1/2 the price or less. This is an internet direct company and you can preview a pair of the Ascends for about $20 return shipping as your only risk. Also, they have a similar sound, better midrange IMHO, than the VR 50s or 60s. Just a thought BUT they're not very pretty.

Or, you could email T8 and see if he would put you on the list to preview his Lings. A warmer sound than the Ascends, a slightly higher price and they are a very nice looking cabinet.

Username: Scotdc

Las Vegas

Post Number: 2
Thanks Dakulis! I searched Boston's web site and found a dealer here that I can audition the speakers at. I'll go tomorrow.
But as to your last lines, who is TB and what are Ling speakers?

Bronze Member
Username: Devils_advocate

Post Number: 71
https://www.ecoustics.com/cgi-bin/bbs/board-profile.pl?action=view_profile&prof ile=timn8ter-users

Silver Member
Username: Dakulis

Spokane, Washington United States

Post Number: 313
Thanks, D.A., I was going to go there for him. Good job, that's why I love this site, great people and usually alot of help, once you get past the name calling, screaming and knife fights, I was just kidding about that last one.

Bronze Member
Username: Devils_advocate

Post Number: 72
I try (occasionally). But thanks for the appreciation Dave.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us