Wharfedale speakers - Diamond series

Username: The_lord

Kuwait

Post Number: 4
Guys
Can you asdvise me, how Wharfedale speakers are.

If any of u are using the same, i would like to know, how it sounds specially when u play very heavy stuff, and how it sounds when u play moderate rock & blues.

Silver Member
Username: Danman

QUEBEC CANADA

Post Number: 417
I own the new Diamond 9.6 that replaced AXIOM M60's. I listened to these very carefully before buying and was very impressed. I needed a big speaker that could handle power and my main goal was to replace using my sub for music as I do like nice bass but find a sub can add a little colouration that to me, does not sound natural.

To summarize, I can tell you that I never considered Wharfedale before listening to this series. They are big and extremely well built for the price..............2x better than my AXIOMS were. I can say that for the price, I found no match for my tastes.

After comparing with some higher brand (and price) speakers, I can say that the newer mid-fi speakers are starting to give a run for the money that I found not worth spending!

As for heavy stuff...............well, I listen to just about everything and can say they handle it all well probably due to their 8" woofers and non-metallic tweeters that are less bright than simular brands. This is a hard question to answer as all of our tastes are different.

Bronze Member
Username: Skareb

Post Number: 23
I've owned the Diamond 9.1, for the price I think they're the best, Very good Vocal, tight bass only thing I dislike are the blanket treble.

Silver Member

QUEBEC CANADA

Post Number: 420
Blanket treble?????????????????

Bronze Member

Post Number: 25
tweeter sound like something is covering it, I've to use tone control to up the high

Silver Member

QUEBEC CANADA

Post Number: 421
Could be your recording or the source. I don't have this problem and I believe the tweeter is the same. TEX tweeters are not like metal ones and are much warmer sounding........the way I like it but it is not for everyone.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 27
Its just not my cup of tea, recordings fine. would be unfair to find fault for the diamond series for the price you pay they're already giving you too much!

Anonymous

The Wharfedale Diamonds I heard were lifeless.

Right now audioadvisor.com has a nice $150 special on Athena AS-B2s, those would be my choice over the Diamonds easily.

Skareb I agree, their tweeters do sound muffled.

Kuwait

Post Number: 6
how are the wrafdales compared to the paradigm moniter, i have only 2 choice either wharfedale or monitor, please advise

Silver Member

QUEBEC CANADA

Post Number: 422
Anon..........which diamonds did you listen to? Don't forget, there are 2 diamond series!

Never heard the Paradigm moniters........sorry!

Username: Robert1325

Post Number: 2
Not all the models are good in the diamond 9 series, the 9.4 got some bad reviews, but the 9.6 and the 9.1's are suposed to be really good,

i'm thinking about buying a pair of 9.1's for my cambridge audio system.

Silver Member

QUEBEC CANADA

Post Number: 423
This is from CNET for the 9.5:

The current, ninth-generation, models are not only holding the line on relative affordability, they're built to higher standards than ever before. The sound has evolved too, and as a result the Wharfedale Diamond 9.5 tower ($799 per pair) may be the best speaker we've heard for less than $1,000.

Not sure about the 9.4 however. I heard it was good.......but reviews are only one persons opinion. Trust you ears first.

Anonymous

Danman I heard the 8.2s, 8.4s and 9.1s, thought the Athenas were much better.

Silver Member

QUEBEC CANADA

Post Number: 428
8.2's and 8.4's are quite old and not comparable to the new series at all! The 9.1 is however so that is your choice.

Silver Member
Username: T_bomb25

Dayton, Ohio United States

Post Number: 464
Anon,yeah right,none of the Athenas are better than the 9 series.

Kuwait

Post Number: 8
I am talking about 9.6 diamond series.

Silver Member

QUEBEC CANADA

Post Number: 432
Well, if you are talking of the 9.6, I have them and can vouch for their wonderful warm sound. They are very big and heavy however so you would need lots of room.

Silver Member
Username: Stu_pitt

NYC, NY

Post Number: 338
The Lord - I listen to a lot of heavy alt rock/metal - Korn, System of a Down, Tool; and other lighter rock (mainly classic rock). I didn't care much for the Wharfedales, and went with PSB's (Image T55's). If you can audition them, give them a listen.

Bronze Member
Username: Eieiei0101x

Post Number: 44
has anyone tried Evolution 8 from Wharfedales???

Silver Member
Username: Shahrukhd

Mumbai, Maharashtra India

Post Number: 110
Evos are a lil over budget for the diamond series buyer but they are great. I have the 8.1s and they sound fantastic. Dunno if there's much difference between the 8.1s and the 9.1s, except for the bass since the 9.1 is a twin ported design.

Silver Member

QUEBEC CANADA

Post Number: 442
The EVO's are a great speaker. I am not sure why some people criticize some of the Wharfedale lineup on this forum as they are essentialy the same as Quad now with their newer series of speakers and people seem to praise them!!!!? I have listened and inspected both very carefully and they are almost identical now since Quad is owned by the same company. This definately pays off technologically.

Wharfedale name is underated in this neck of the woods. All the dealers that I went to when auditioning my 9.6's, all agreed that they are very hard to beat for the price and fit and finish at their prices are incredible. I guess this proves that still some people still don't trust their ears.

In general, Wharfedale sells more speakers than many brands could only hope! The only reason some countries have prices that are very low is to introduce their models to a newer client. They do not make any profit (or very little) compared to what they do in North America.

With over 70 years of experience, this is one company that knows what they are doing and I wish I would of discovered them a long time ago. Like I said, I have listened to so many speakers and yes, this is a segment that can be very subjective BUT the newer series they sell (Diamond 9, EVO and Opus) are amazing.

Kuwait

Post Number: 9
guys i am planning to get Harman Kardon AVR 635 receiver, for my new set up. I have been told that it is 75Watts, 7.1 chanel

Can you advise me how is it? compared to yamaha and denon, the denon's / yamaha at the same price range has a higher power rating (around 110 watts), but is it true?

Bronze Member
Username: Bumblebee

Post Number: 14
HK's are conservatively rated. Check the power consumption of each and see for yourself.

Username: Coiwe

Concepcion, Bio Bio Chile

Post Number: 3
The Lord:
I own one pair of Wharfedale Emerald 97 and one pair of Wharfedale Emerald 99. I replaced my Polk RT8. I wire them to my Marantz PM68 (not a great amp, 95wpc) and the change was huge. Sound got richer, wider and powerful. I listen from rock to classic and I'm very satisfied. After, I took back my old Nad 302 (just 25 wpc) and I decided to use this and repack the Marantz up. With the Nad I had a new sound improvement.Also I have read very good reviews about the Wharfedale Sapphire. In sum, I believe Wharfedale worth the money.

Regards

WiredForSound
Unregistered guest
I bought the Diamond 9.1's from Audio Advisor and they just did not do it for me; I traded them in for the Athena Audition Series (F-2, B-2) and have been much happier with these speakers.
Sorry Tawaun but the Athenas just totally blew them away in every area, did like the color of the Warfendales better but that was it.

I have heard gread thinks about the 9.6 series though and have been wanting to give them a listen. I was in London last week and stoped by a few audio shops thinking I might be able to pick some up cheap - wrong! The Euro is kicking the dollars butt and British speakers are much more expensive in the UK than in the US; go figure.

Bronze Member
Username: Eieiei0101x

Post Number: 47
Has ayone auditioned the Evolution series????

Silver Member
Username: Shahrukhd

Mumbai, Maharashtra India

Post Number: 111
I have. They rock. Better than the diamonds but not as good as their Opus line. ...Oooooohhhh!!!

Bronze Member

Kuwait

Post Number: 11
Guys Can u please advise me on the amplifiers to use

I have to choose from HK AVR635, Denon AVR3805 & Yamaha RXV2500.

I am confued with the power rating HK is rated as 75Watts. 7.1Chanel; Yamaha and Denon are rated above 110Watts 7.1 chanel

Silver Member

QUEBEC CANADA

Post Number: 445
I actually liked the 9.6 better than the Evo40 except for the finish........it was incredible for the price. They were quite simular but the bass in the 9.6 was better.

Lord, go with the HK amp. It's wattage is more than you will need and under estimated.

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 1430
completey disregard those power ratings: HK is famous for UNDER-rating its receivers, Yamaha for OVER-rating, and Denon somewhere in the middle. Even IF those were accurate power ratings however the actual difference in volume capability is negligible.

Between those 3 I'd choose between the HK and Denon, whichever one you can get for less money. The Yammie will be OK for HT but lackluster for music.

Silver Member

Post Number: 498
I owned the Evo 20 and 40,its hard to say how they compare to 9 series for me because I didnt have gear that i have upstream now.I did get a chance to hear the the 40s on my friends Macs,wow they were extremely impressive,but I went home and coudnt get anywhere near that sound,so i sold them,and got the Nad 320 bee,Nad 521i,Accousti Energy Aegis Evo 1,I could no longer listen to my Onkyo reciever and Toshiba dvd Audio player anymore,but i often think about the Evo 40s on the Macs,I just didnt have the patience to wait to get something of high Qaulity to pair them with,if I had them with the gear I have now whoa.The Finish is spectacular,but at this point I would go after the Opus,they have to one of the best deals in the HiFi hi end audio on the market today.

Silver Member

QUEBEC CANADA

Post Number: 446
I agree but the Opus is about 2 to 3 times the price. Hope to hear these one day soon.

Silver Member

Post Number: 500
Not in the US they are not $Opus 1750,Opus 2 $2500,and the Opus $3200 the Evo 40s are $1200,and believe me that $550 is well worth it for the Opus 1,providing you have the electronics to bring out that substancial extra performance.

Silver Member

QUEBEC CANADA

Post Number: 448
I will have to check this out when I can get a chance to listen to them.

Bronze Member
Username: Raks

Post Number: 19
Danman,

Can you please suggest which version of Diamonds I need to go for and what is the best price you heard for them till now. I appreciate your help

Raks

Silver Member

QUEBEC CANADA

Post Number: 468
Rakesh, I don't know what you use as your sources so you must let me know more information. As for prices, I live in Canada and usually they vary from store to store. I don't know where you live.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 29
Danman,

Planning to go for one of these 3 recievers

HK AVR 635, Marantz SR-5500, Marants SR-8400

Also, how does Diamond Wharfedale 9.6 compare with PSB Image 6T towers ?

Raks

Bronze Member

Post Number: 30
Danman,

I am from Texas, US. These are the speakers I am considering as of now

1. Diamond Wharfedale 9.6
2. PSB Image 6T
3. Aixom Audio M60ti
4. Athena AS-F2.2

Receivers are
HK AVR 635, Marantz SR-5500, Marantx SR-8400

Please let me know which one is the best set of speakers. I like Warm Music and not too Bright. Particularly one that gives least listener fatigue. I use the system for 50/50 for HT and Music.

Raks

Raks

Silver Member

QUEBEC CANADA

Post Number: 469
To answer all of your questions, I would say go with the HK AVR 635 for sure. You mentioned you did not want a bright speaker. In this case, from my point of view do not get the AXIOMS for sure (I had them before) or the Athenas however they are not too bad.

The 9.6 and PSB's are much more refined than the other 2 and have great fit and finish. I have listened to the 6T and they are very good however really deep (measurement wise that is!) and are harder to place. The 9.6 is bigger and heavier and I think much better for my tastes. They have 2 8" woofers a mid range and soft dome tweeter. I found them very good with all sorts of music and yes, they gave ME the least listening fatigue.

I would rather stay away from the "which one is best" conversation as speakers are very personal but following your needs and wants based on what you have said, I am biased towards the 9.6 and a very close second 6T.

Is there possibility for you to have a listening test? If not, make sure wherever you buy from has a good return policy just in case you are not satisfied.

I am not sure of U.S prices but I believe they (Wharfe's and PSB) are priced around 1000$ of your dollars or maybe less. I paid 1200$ Can. dollars but our dollar is based lower.

Hope I have helped.

Silver Member
Username: Twebbz

Ann Arbor, Michigan USA

Post Number: 226
Raks, after living with the Athena AS-F2s for about 15 months I can say that they are very transparent and faithfully reproduce treble frequencies as they are recorded. This means that the many (not all) rock and pop CDs that are now produced intentionally sibilant can sound overly bright. (Vinyl LPs NEVER sound bright.) Therefore, if you listen to this type of music, the AS-F2s are not for you as you stated that you don't like your music bright.

Also, if you do purchase your speaker selection from an official online dealer be aware that it will be expensive if you want to return them. I paid $55 to return a pair of Axiom M50Ti towers (35Lbs. Ea.) UPS ground from Michigan to New York. It would be more expensive for heavier speakers and a longer distance. You risk shipping damage too.

Username: Black05hemi

So Cal

Post Number: 5
I owned the Diamond 8's...Thought they were great, until I heard the Athena AS-F2's...

Silver Member

QUEBEC CANADA

Post Number: 470
That is because you have not heard the Diamond 9's!

Bronze Member
Username: Nmytree

Post Number: 12
I own the Wharfedale Opus 2 and I absolutely love them!!

As Danman stated earlier, it is very important to match the Opus 2 with quality components...the correct match.

In my experience, with my ears (and opinion) have found that the Opus 2 go wonferfully with McIntosh gear, the Odyssey Audio Stratos Mono Extremes (and Tempest Pre Amp), Eastern Electric Minimax CD Player and Pre Amp, Unison Research, Parasound Halo A21, Musical Design amps and Pre amps and Van Alstine amps and Pre Amps. Some better than others, but they are all good matches.

Some of the gear that in my experience does not match well with the Opus 2; NAD, Denon, Yamaha and Anthem.

Of course this only from listening to specific models from these manufactors. I haven't listened to every model by every one of these manufactors.

Remember, a lot of times brightness and harshness are a result of poor room acoustics. Windows (glass) is one of the biggest and most horrific causes of harshness and brightness.

Take a look around your listening room and see how much glass (windows, lamps, decortive pieces, picture frames...etc) is in the room. Also, how much metal is in the room.

It helps a great deal to cover the windows with heavy, thick curtains.......two layers worth if required. And to eliminate all those things I mentioned.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
One more thing.

The Opus series also really love tube gear, as well as quality Solid State.

Silver Member

QUEBEC CANADA

Post Number: 523
I am surprised that you said that NAD does not go well with the Opus series!!!!!!! I heard them with the C272 in a store and was amazed! Wonderful warm sound with no mid-range bloat! Could you give me your side please?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
Well, we used the C542 CD Player and a NAD amplifier. I believe it was the 973, but I'll have to confirm with my friend who brough it over. It was a multi-channel amp, though. That much I do remember.

The sound was a bit on the harsh side....edgie. The highs were very unpleasant. We gave the system ample time to warm up and all the components were owned by us and were well burned/broken-in. To a man and one woman, everyone agreed it was not a good match.

But you know how these things go. There are so many variables and contributing factors in a system (and listening room), that there really are not any complete absolutes.

As I said, that was just one experience with two NAD components and the Opus 2. It doesn't encompass all of NAD's gear or any other manufactors. I can't possibly try every oiece of gear , by every manufactor.

I was simply trying to share my experience with mixing and matching components and the Opus 2, as a rule of thumb, and to encourage auditions with a piece of gear in one's listening room/area, with certain speakers; before plunking down the cash.

I have found as a rule of thumb that the manufactors I listed seem to either match well, or not match at all ; but your mileage may vary.

I know a Opus 2 owner in California who has some Denon components matched up with his Opus 2, and he loves the sound.

When I tried a Denon Universal CD Player and a Denon Reciever, the result was horrible.

Different strokes, for different folks.

Silver Member

QUEBEC CANADA

Post Number: 526
I would like to get my hands on those Opus speakers!!!!!!! They are lovely and very underated as I compared them to Pro-Ac and Epos and they were much better.......even my wife agreed and a womans ears to hi-fi are not usually like ours!

Not sure why the 973 would not play them well as that is one massively good amp but it could of been the configuration he was using with the pre-amp in stereo mode. I think that a seven channel amp to test 2 speakers is by far not the way to go.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
Danman,

Believe me, my comments were not meant as a knock on NAD or any of those other manufactor's gear. There's just some gear that mate very well, and some that simply don't. I know of one one Opus owner who tried a wonderful Rotel amp with the Opus, and it just didn't sound good.

Now, Rotel makes some nice gear. They are no slouches or makers of garbage, but the two just don't work well together.

I agree completely that the Opus series is one of the most under-rated speakers out there. They really don't get the press or accolades they deserve.

I auditioned a lot of speakers before buying the Opus. Quite a few of those auditioned speakers were much more expensive, highly touted, praised and well spoken of. I auditioned speakers that were cheaper or in the same price range.

At the end of the day, the Opus 2, to my ears, were the more musical, emotionally conveying and emotionally involving speaker. The tonality or timbre is beautiful, to my ears.

Opus also has wonderful detail, on all levels. But you won't hear the singer pass wind after the third verse or the drummer's shoe laces slapping against his shoes, while he works the Bass drum.

To me, they offer all things I look for in speakers.

Danman, if you don't mind, please send me a PM. I would like to speak to you regarding the Opus 2. I tried to PM you, but you're not set up to accept PMs right now.

Silver Member

QUEBEC CANADA

Post Number: 527
I will have to send that message tomorrow to you as I won't have the time to chat until then. By the way, I know you were not knocking NAD or other brands.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
I tried sending you a PM, but it wouldn't let me.

Silver Member

QUEBEC CANADA

Post Number: 533
I don't know how it works!!!!!!!!!! Does it need my email address? I did not include it so maybe that is the problem.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
Go into your "Edit Profile".

Then click on 'Preferences".

You'll see some options with a box to check or uncheck. You'll see the one that allows PMS. Un check to allow PMs.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
Okay, just send me an e-mail.

Silver Member

QUEBEC CANADA

Post Number: 535
It was NOT checked off!!!!!!!!!! Weird!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
Danman, did you get my e-mail address?

Silver Member

QUEBEC CANADA

Post Number: 537
No! Can someone explain what is going on?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 22
I don't know what's going on, but here's my e-mail address again.

tjpj10msg@carolina.rr.com

Let me know in a response if you can see my e-mail address in this post.

epiccraig
Unregistered guest
hello

great thread you hve going here...

i've been considering the wharfedale diamond 9.6 for my rotel 1062 amp for a while now... i presently own a paair of 9.4 diamond... unfortuntely they are a bit of a disappointment... will the 9.6 improve matters...

which make of speakers are a better match for rotel gear...

Bronze Member

Kuwait

Post Number: 12
HI GUYS

THIS IS A ABSOLUTELLY WONDEFUL DISCUSSION GOING ON:

THE OTHER DAY I WENT AND LISTENED TO BOSTON ACOUSTICS & ATHENA.

BOTH OF THEM ARE GOOD STUFF I SUPPOSE, CAN YOU GUYS GIVE YOUR VALUABLE INPUTS.

Silver Member
Username: Gavincumm

Post Number: 250
Magnepan MMG is a wonderful match for rotel gear

Silver Member
Username: Stu_pitt

NYC, NY

Post Number: 667
I've found that Maggies leave a lot to be desired on bass heavy music that Lord listens to. I haven't heard the MMG, but I have heard higher end ones. If you have the right sub, they work well. Key word being if.

I also listen to a lot of alt metal and classic rock. To me PSB's have always been a great speaker in this price range. Surprisingly, they sound similar to more expensive Boston Acoustics, yet more refined. I didn't realize how similar they sounded until a local dealer started selling Boston Acoustics and I heard them side by side. If I didn't buy the PSB's, I would have bought Paradigms. I can't remember the model number, but they were towers around the $1000 price tag.

Silver Member
Username: Gavincumm

Post Number: 251
the reccomendation was for epic, not Lord. Most of the people that listen to real music in this forum will be quite satisfied with maggies, but that is MY perception of real music, such as jazz, chamber music, and well recorded pop like james taylor and sarah brightman.

To each his own :-) some think metal is music, while I think noise.

Unregistered guest
I have always been a big fan of wharfedale speakers. Surprisingly, they don't cost much in Fiji. Maybe the local dealer has a hard time moving them because of a smaller market but i bought my diamond 9.6's for only $F699! Was also considering the Xarus 5000 speakers but dont think they were shielded so didn't want them near my TV! The local dealer had the xarus 5000's in the bulk somewhere and couldn't be bothered to demo them for me. How about some comments on diamond 9.6 versus the xarus 5000?

P.S. This thread makes a very interesting read!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us