Kenwood VR-6070 THX/DPL2. Anyone has this unit? (Page 2)

PEOPLE TELL ME THIS AND THAT AND I STILL FIND THE KENWOOD VR-6070 TO BE THE MOST COMPREHENSIVE EXTENSIVE RECEIVER AT SUCH A LOW PRICE......I'M LOOKING AT THE BOSE LIFESTYLE 35 BUT REALIZED I COULD SAVE A SHITLOAD OF MONEY.....WHAT SPEAKERS DO YOU RECOMMEND WITH THE VR-6070????? I THINK I AM INTERESTED IN THE NEW BOSE ACOUSTIMASS 15 SYSTEM AND FINALLY WITH A POWERED SUB.....ANY OTHER SPEAKER RECOMMENDATIONS AND DOES THE VR-6070 HEAT UP SERVERELY (LIL WORRIED)......ANYONE WHO HELPS ME ADD 10 YEARS ON YOUR LIFESPAN.....

THANKS
RITUALDELO

Hello folks. I am a proud new owner of the 6070, and I want to add my 2 cents to this forum .. with a question at the end. I finally got the wife to allow me to upgrade my 13 YEAR OLD stereo system. So, I bought the 6070, and since my living room layout is not conducive to larger floor speakers, I went with the Bose Acoustimass 15 speakers (not the NEW Series II that JUST came out this month). So, I use the 5 satelite cube arrays, and the powered sub. I simply love the sound (contrary to what Bose-bashers will protest). I truly enjoyed Black Hawk Down, MI2, and Pearl Harbor on this new system.

Configuring this thing has taken some time, as I re-learn the "new" advances in home audio (since the late 80's and my last receiver). I am still a bit unclear how to use all of the surround modes, which leads me to my question for the forum.

I am using a digital coax cable from my DVD to my 6070, and all I ever get on the receiver is "Dolby Digital." Even with Gladiator, I am not able to change the listening mode away from "Dolby Digital." I feel dumb for even asking this, but how do I envoke DTS on DTS-type DVD's?

One more thing ... Brian, the Bose speakers I have include a powered sub at over 200W. The new Series II Acoustimass 15 has a 300W powered sub, and a couple of other minor details. The cube arrays are the same with both. I bought my Bose system from a Bose outlet store for $900. I could have saved another $100 or so buying online, but it was worth it to me to get it from them. Bose is pushing the now elder Acoustimass 15's to clear their inventory, so this could be something you look into. By the way, the new Series II retails for $1,299 .. which to me is not worth it.

Finally, if you buy a Bose system and if you need wall brackets, floor stands, etc. for your cube arrays, you can save 50% off the retail price for these accessories by buying them off eBay.

As for the sound, they are great. I am by no means an audiophile, but for my needs and budget, these things are impressive. The way the cube arrays work, you can create a larger "sweet spot" for listening, which is what I needed.

I hope this helps.

John Hackman
Todd. When I used my digital optical cable from my DVD to the VR6070, I could not get the DTS-ES 6.1. So I bought the digital coax and ran both digital (coax and optical) together. Then I got the DTS-ES sound. Just leave your setting to DVD/6 or standard DVD on the 6070, when the movie starts, it will switch to DTS-ES automatically.
I am surprised you cannot get DTS-ES with Gladiator. Does it show DTS-ES on the back of Galdiator DVD case?
John

First of all, I am really stoked that I found this public forum today. I have been waiting to receive my VR6070 from Crazy Eddie's for over two weeks and was getting worried. My experience with their customer service has not been reassuring and I was beginning to wonder if I was in for a bad experience. But after reading this forum, I'm feeling better. Crazy Eddies finally emailed me a tracking number yesterday (shipping to Hawaii is costing me $79, ouch). I was not aware of the inventory situation with the 6070 and in fact have been unable to find much additional info on this receiver in the way of reviews etc. I am encouraged to hear from you guys and would like some help with a question about speaker setup. I have purchased a set of five, full range JBL Control 25AV's (two way satellites) and the complimenting JBL Control SB-2 subwoofer. Since the sub is not powered will I still be able to run an additional pair of rear surrounds w/o a second amp for 6.1 surround?...or does the non-powered sub take that output? Can I use my six-year old Kenwood 6050 A/V receiver as a second amp to run that pair of rear surrounds if a second amp is needed? Thanks in advance for your answers...you guys have done a great job with this forum. Steve

Hey John. Yup, Gladiator shows DTS-ES on the case. As for the DVD to receiver setup, my DVD only has a digital coax output .. there is not an optical (it's a 2 year old Apex). I'll keep messing with it. I am using my optical cable with my Dish PVR. That sounds AWESOME. Still, no DTS, though. Not sure if that is even possible over satellite.

So, let me ask this .. when you watch a DTS enabled DVD, does the 6070 display actually show "DTS" or something similar instead of Dolby Digital?

My next test is to rent a THX DVD and see how that goes.

Thanks for the help .. and kudos on this excellent forum. This is all I have been able to find on the Kenwood receiver too. I suppose we could all go epinions.com and start posting our experiences there .... maybe a few cut-n-pastes.

Have a great weekend, all!

GCB
Todd W. - Try Stars Wars 1 - The Phantom Menace - I am not a star wars fan, but it is THX-ES and a brilliant surround soundtrack that a lot of critics use as a reference track for 6.1/7.1 tests.
Steve M. - Yes you should be able to do exactly as you thought, that is passive sub off the sixth channel and you two centre rear surrounds off your pre-outs through the 6050. Let us all know how it works. One guy higher up this forum says he got 12 speakers happening through extra amps but he had to not use the rear centre or he lost right hand side. But remember 12 speakers is a huge ask. If that happens to you, couldn't you run preout sub into you 6050 as well and power it through there?

Thanks for the response Todd,,,,,Does the vr 6070 heat up fast.....I was a little worried before i puchase it due to the fact of their past history. What are the best cables to hook up to the unit in terms of brand and have you hooked up your coax cable input to the unit? I was curious as to how well the video switching is.....How is the distortion at high volumes.....I really like this unit its between the vr6070 and a few yamahas i looked at.....One thing is the yamaha receivers have so many dsp sound fields.....What do ya guys think?

Brian:
Unlike some of the previous Kenwood units, the VR-6070 does not get excessively hot. Remember, of course, that most receivers require a reasonable amount of ventilation. I have a combination of Monster and AR Pro Series cables. Both are good.
The 6070 is very clean at high volume with good speakers. It would not have made THX certification if it didn't perform well at various power levels.

Eric Chyo
My VR-6070 receiver just shipped out today from Crazy Eddies. I'm out in Los Angeles so it'll be here next Thursday. I'm gonna hook up my receiver to my Athena Point 5 speakers using Monster cables. I'll fill you in on how it all sounds by next week! Exciting! This board has caught fire! I love checking to see what new posts are on here. Keep em coming!

Steve MacDonald
GCB - thanks for the response. I should be receiving my VR6070 from Crazy Eddie's on Wednesday. I'll let you know how the set-up goes. I'm going to have to buy an extra set of speakers first...
Steve Mac

Brian - no, my 6070 does not heat up any worse than other receivers I have seen (at friends homes). I, too, was down to choosing between the 6070 and a Yamaha RX-V1300. For the extra $200 or so, I did not think the "Yamaha" name was worth the cash .. plus, it does not have THX. As for cables, I am using a Monster optical, and a Recoton digital coax .. both seem to work fine. The video switches on the fly, and is pretty cool. And the DSP is neat, but not something I will use a lot. To me, this is more trendy. I can see me not using this feature once the newness of the receiver wears off. That's just my opinion. And re: distortion, there is none that I can hear. I don't listen to my receiver at volumes where my neioghborhs can listen, but I listen plenty loud enough (-10 to -15), and the sound is crips and clear.

As for the DTS and THX, I do not have 6.1 or 7.1 setup. I have a FR, FL, SR, SL, Center and Sub. Can I still utilize DTS and THX?

This forum rocks on!!!

John Hackman
Todd, to answer your question, yes my 6070 switches to DTS-ES when watching a DTS-ES movies (Gladiator, Blade2...).

I have not experienced THX 6:1 (Star Wars) but you can have THX 5.1 in Pearl Harbor and Atlantis. Not many movies on THX 6.1...

About heating up, my receiver does not heat up compared to other receivers, it's a bit hotter but not HOT. My old Pioneer was HOT.

Question about DSP, yes the Yam offers much more DSP, not the Kenwood. The DSP that the VR6070 offers is enough for me since I use only it for Movie (Theater). Before changing your mind to a YAM, try to listen to the Kenwood, you'll be surprise.

Seems that lot of people go with Crazzy Eddie. Got to call Ed for the good business (no I don't work for them...). There were little bit pain on the order since I waited 2 months, but I was one of the first who ordered this unit... Now that I have this receiver, I am a happy camper!

-John

John Hackman
Todd, on the manual, there is a section where it describe THX. I think you cannot get THX with DTS, it has to be Dolby Digital and THX. Anyone can confirm that?

-John

Glynn B.
Any opinions on the remote control?

John Hackman
My 6070 Remote does not control my Sansung DTV Receiver, and making it learn cause conflict with other devices. That's my only drawback.

The rest of the units (VCR, DVD, HDTV) works great with this remote...

-John

Mark Woodhouse
I did finally setup my system and it can be flakey with the whole switching to DTS or Dolby Digital. So far I can get Dolby Digital but have yet to get DTS. I have tried Gladiator on my
primary DVD to DTS in the Gladiator Audio Setup and I still see Dolby Digital. My primary DVD output is Digital Coax. I have also tried it on my Sony PS2 and get the same thing which is Optical. Also when playing some games on the Sony PS2 which should be Dolby Digtal I don't get the dobly digtal to appear. I have setup the game and system to output Dolby Digital but no luck on the reciever. Under the input mode when you select Digital Manual can you actually force it to DTS or Dolby Digital? This automactic stuff is nice when it works but so far its not really working for me.

John Hackman
Mark. You have the same setup and same problem as another person here. THis receiver takes time to configure it, it took me 1/2 day to understand how things works, and the manual is terrible, we could see how fast they wanted to release this unit.
When I started mine with mine, got only Optical connection first which gave me DD (Dolby Digital) only. I think I could get DTS but not DTS-ES.
Since my DVD Toshiba 4800 Progressive supported both Coax and Digial, I connected both coax and digital to the receiver. I could then get DTS-ES and DD. When playing Gladiator, go on the movie setup, choose DTS-ES and start the movie. Leave your receiver to Automatic detect. When the movie starts (give few mns), your receiver will automatically switch to DTS-ES 6.1. I don't have to force anything to switch.

What I still don't understand is the difference btw DVD/6CH and DVD/CD. The last one can still give me DTS-ES6.1 so why did Kenwood made an extra button for DVD/6???

Also if anyone find out how to keep the Subwoofer level saved at 10db (max), let me know. Everytime I save it to 10db and shut off the unit, I loose my setting for the SBW.

-John

Hey all. Regarding getting DTS to work, I will try the Gladiator setup first, then the Digital Manual option second to see what happens. Just to clarify, I do NOT need a 6.1 speaker arrangement to utilize DTS do I? Or THX for that matter? I hope not, as I have a 5.1 setup.

Also, for everyone who reads this, I noticed that with my receiver, the volume is almost un-hearable from -80 to -50. It seems odd to me that I have to crank the receiver to the -40 range to hear sound. Has anyone else noticed this? Is there a setting that I have set somewhere that is half muting my sound? Older Kenwoods had a feature like this.

Thanks...

Oh, does anyone know of a good place on the web to visit to learn more about DTS, DTS-ES, THX, DD, DSP, etc. I want to understand better what each ambience does.

And finally, do we need to adjust the volume levels of our surrond speakers if we are not perfectly in the middle of all of them? I have a surround speaker that is 4 feet further away than the others. I adjusted the speaker distances, I just don't know if it is necessary to adjust the individual speaker volumes too. Thanks...

Man, I am busy over here. Nevermind my question on web resources for surround sound. I just found a pretty good site:
http://www.timefordvd.com/tutorial/SurroundSound.shtml

Looks like I need to evaluate my 2 year old DVD player to see if it can handle DTS. This is a good read, for those of you as confused as I am.

Mark Woodhouse
John Thanks for the responce. I have another question for you guys. I have a passive subwoofer right now and I am using my 6 channel amp for the Subwoofer. I notice though that when I do get Dobly Digital. The subwoofer doesn't light up as one of the active speakers. It does in the Stereo mode and Neo as such but not Dolby Digital. I do get thing that lights up that says LFE though for a total of 6 active outputs. I am just wondering has anybody else seen this with a passive subwoofer. Thanks

GCB
Todd W. - WWW.dolby.com is a great website itself. Click on 'Dolby knowledgebase'. one thing I picked up is that Dolby themselves like all speakers in a 5.1 to all be the same speakers, secondly they ask for them to at least be by the same manufacturer. Yet only a few makers actually sell sets where all five speakers are the same. dtsonline.com is not too bad either.

John Hackman
Todd, THX.com will give ya' everything you need to know about THX. For your sur. speaker that is 4ft away, if you don't get too much sound, adjust it on the setup to be ie. 6ft instead of 4ft. It will increase the volume. For the DTS-ES, if you have 5 speakers, it will output it on 5 speakers, don't need 6 speakers for DTS. For the volume, never tied it so dunno...

Mark, Never tried a passive sbw so dunno either.

GCB - thanks for the feedback I'll check those sites out.

John - I took a look at THX.com earlier. Not bad. I didn't know so many movies were in this format.

As for getting DTS to work, does my DVD player have something to do with this too? I have a 2-year old POS Apex AD-703 DVD player, that does not have optical out. It only has Digital Coax. I wonder if this DVD player is the problem?

And one last question for the forum (for now): is there any advantage to adding a rear center speaker to my 5.1 system to make it a 6.1 system, if my sitting area is already located at the back wall of the room? Without getting into my room details, my sofa and recliner are along a back wall, and this wall is where my two surround speakers are mounted. Since there is no space behind the couch, is there any real advantage to adding a rear center speaker to my back wall that will essentially be directly above my head?

Mark - I don't have a passive sub either, so I am not any help for you either. Sorry man.

Matt G.
I recently bought the VR-6070 and have had much difficulty in getting DTS sound. From reading these postings sounds like I need a digital coax cable. What is a good price for a 3 or 4 foot Digital coax cable? ($CDN). Also, my dvd player supports DTS put I am confused that the optical output would not transfer DTS, or could it be that Receiver does not receive DTS via optical cable?
either way the sound is great for music but I still want more for the movies - DTS ES

Thanks,

Hey Matt. I am having the same problem getting DTS to work on this receiver. My DVD player is 2 years old, and only has digital coax output (you must have at least a digital connection between your DVD and receiver). I am using the digital coax, but still no go. I am going to fish around in my DVD players setup menus to see if I need to program it to send out DTS signals. Someone also mentioned above that they connected their DVD's digital coax AND optical outputs, then DTS worked. Sadly, this is not an option for me .. unless I upgrade my DVD player.

As for the digital coax cable, I bought one off eBay for a reasonable price ($10 for a 6 foot cable). There are far better prices on these cables than you will see at CC or BB, as long as you don't mind waiting a couple extra days to get them.

Freeman Jones
I am trying to get the absolute best possible receiver for my money, which at this point looks to be about $500.00 max. Would anyone recomend the kenwood vr-6070? If not do you have any suggestions?

Matt G.
Everyone-
Has anyone had the vr-6070 produce dts sound with optical input only?

Freeman - this Kenwood is pretty darn good. You can get it delivered to your home for less than $500. And there are not any other receivers out there that offer all of the following for $500: THX, 100W per 6 channels, DTS, DTS-ES, etc. THX alone usually places you in the $900+ range at a minimum. Use Google and do a search for the Kenwood VR-6070, and you will find lots of online dealers that can ship this receiver to you at the price you seek. Several people on this forum have used Crazy Eddie's. When using online stores, just remember that there are some serious downsides. Like, if it arrives DOA, or if it malfunctions within the mfr warranty period, etc. Dealing with thise kinds of problems can be a pain, and expensive if shipping is involved, and it usually will be. If you want to hear this receiver, head on down to Circuit City or BestBuy. Good luck!

Just got the vr 6070 from bestbuy for $550.00 with 24 months no ineterst payments...real nice.....Now with all this confusion before i hook it up,,,,,what is the best way to proceed......do i need to hook up an optical and coax cable to get my dvd to switch to the proper surround modes....This is pretty confusing......Someone suggest a step by step and cable type or brand to use.....Thanks

Matt G.
I hear you Brian. I've had ny receiver for two days and have not been able to get DTS, probably because I need a digital coax cable. But I thought optical would have been good enough....Please someone suggest step by step and cables requirements for DTS surround sound
Thanks.

Hey again. I played with my receiver and DVD player again tonight, and still cannot get DTS. I can't even force DTS mode when using the Digital Manual setting versus Auto detect. My DVD player does claim to be DTS compliant, but I cannot figure it out. Someday....

I'll keep checking here for more ideas. Thanks all...

Matt/Brian - I got it!!! DTS is now working for me. Here is what I had to do to get DTS working.

First, I found 3 DTS-encoded DVD's to load into my 3-disc DVD changer. Those DVD's were Shrek, Gladiator and Almost Famous (all DreamWorks movies).

On each DVD, when the DVD's own title screen/main menu came up, I selected the Audio option. Under this menu option, I noticed different listening formats, including DTS (Gladiator was DTS-ES, but worked fine even though my speakers are 5.1). Dolby Digital was selected by default on all 3 DVD's.

I selected the DTS option (DTS-ES for Gladiator), and started each movie, and voila ... DTS came up on my receiver and all was well. I followed this same process for all three DVD's. All 3 defaulted to Dolby Digital initially, and all 3 played DTS just fine once I switched the audio mode per each DVD's menu. You even get a snazzy little DTS intro as the movie starts .. to plug the DTS audio format.

To clarify, I connected my DTS enabled DVD player to my 6070 using only a digital coax cable for audio and an S-video for video. To enjoy DTS, you have to select that audio format PER DVD when you play it. This may be different for different DVD players, but this is what worked for my 2 year old Apex AD-703 ... I know, it's a POS, but it works.

It's midnight now, so I will have to watch one of these movies later to see how DTS really sounds.

Let me know if this helps you guys. Good night .. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

If anyone wants a brand new 4' Monster Digital Fiber Optic Audio Cable (THXI100FO4), let me know and we can work something out. These things sell at Circuit City for $20.00 (I know, I just bought it from there). You can find them on eBay for about the same. I bought this 4' cable only to realize that I needed a longer cable (duh). Anyway, I will give the folks on this forum first dibs for $15 plus $2 shipping. The cable is NOT in the box, as I actually used it for a couple of days. Now I have replaced it with an 8' version of the same cable.

Here is an eBay auction for this same cable.
http://cgi.ebay.com/...1383841907

If I don't hear anything, I will list this thing on eBay on Sept. 27th. Email me if interested. Thanks....

DO YOU RECOMMEND TO HOOK UP MY DVD PLAYER WITH AN OPTICAL DIGITAL CABLE OR A DIGITAL COAXIAL CABLE....DOES IT MATTER??? I WANT TO HOOK UP MY PS2 WITH THE OPTICAL CABLE.....LEMME KNOW

BRIAN

YOU GUYS ARE THE SH-T.......WHAT GAUGE WIRE SHOULD I USE???????WHAT BRAND???????AND WHAT ABOUT BANANA CONNECTOR PLUGS????SHOULD I USE THOSE AS WELL.....I WANNA GET THE COLLABORAITVE TOGETHER AND DO A ONE TIME INSTALLATION TO MAKE MATTERS EASIER......YOUR GUIDANCE AND KNOWLEDGE IS GREATLY APPRECIATED

Eric Chyo
I got my vr6070 today! Setup and hookup was easy. I'm using an Ultralink digital coaxial cable. No problems auto detecting Dolby Digital, DTS, DTS-ES. It works great and the sound is impressive. Very clean and loud! It doesn't heat up too much either. I'm hooked up to Athena Point 5 speakers using 14ga Monster cable. I'm connected to the receiver using banana cables and spade connectors at my speakers. I'm pretty happy with the receiver so far. I'll mess with it some more tomorrow.

Brain - as for the speaker wires, I cannot help much on those as I am using the wires that came with my Bose system.

As for the DVD hookup, my only option was coax. I have to think optical is better if you have that option. I'd go that route. I am using an optical cable from my satellite receiver, and it works awesome .. and automatically detects Dolby Digital when watching movies on HBO. I watched Pearl Harbor off HBO, and it sounded awesome.

As for your PS2, you have enough optical inputs to connect both your DVD and PS2 using optical cables. I used the 6CH/DVD inputs on the back of the 6070 for my DVD's digital coax and s-video connection. I used the Video 3 for my satellite.

Good luck.

Hey,
I found that my dvd player (panasonic cv-51) only has optical digital out and I am having problems getting DTS
Thanks for your info Todd W.
Still I'm calling Kenwood this morning to try and find out why the optical audio input alone won't run DTS.

Thanks guys, I'll keep you posted.

Well my turn. I just purchased (1a this morning) one of these VR 6070's for $434.98 including shipping from www.discount-electronic.com - mentioned in this thread. I then bought an optical cable from Tod - mentioned in this thread. I've already rec'd word from Mark at Discount Electronics, that my unit will ship TODAY (same day as purchase), via Airborne Express, and he provided my tracking # and Airborne Express URL to watch its progress. I have to say that if the unit is as good as I am hearing, then I've done very well in record time, with superlative service. I'll try to post a follow-up, once I get everything "together".

John Hackman
Matt, I was never able to run DTS via optical even though I switched the setting from DD to DTS on the DVD movie (as Todd mentioned). After I bought a coax, I could get DTS, DTS-ES and DD via both optical and coax cables.

People having problem with coax or optical and are wondering if it could be their old DVD player? Well I have the Toshiba DVD SD-4800 Prog.Scan (came out around the same time as the VR6070, it's so new...) and I can tell you I don't get DTS via optical. So it may not be because your DVD player is old. Mine supports both optical and coax (optical does not give me DTS-ES, dunno...).

Anyone tried the Midnight listening setting with movies?

Also another note about Warranty. I contacted Kenwood and they confirmed that Crazy Eddie is not a authorized reseller and Kenwood will NOT support the warranty. I called Ed @ Crazy Eddie and he also confirmed that. In order to get the warranty, you need to purchase it at retail authorized store such as Circuit City, best Buy etc. So YES you get a good price at Crazy Eddie, and No you don't get the warranty. Yes you pay more at BB or CC, but you do get the warranty. Anyway, I don't expect this unit to break within a year. For those who are worry, I think Crazy Eddie can sell you extended warranty via their own network.

** Hey Brian, stop swearing! We're all working together here.

John

Kale
I've been following this thread since early August and decided to go after it a few weeks ago. I FINALLY found someone that had it in stock ($459 at www.radarcity.com). I hooked the DVD with the optical connection and had the same problems as mentioned above. I went with digital coax by itself and DTS worked on the first try. After a week of using the receiver, whatever internal processor controls the input selection messed up and it would take anywhere from 10 seconds to 10 minutes to switch audio sources after I pressed the button (i.e. from CD to Video 1). I called and it was just a freak incident, but I thought I would warn anyone that if they do order this receiver from an "unauthorized" dealer like I did, make sure they have a return or exchange policy that won't leave you high and dry. I was able to exchange the unit with no problem and should have it back in the next couple of days.
The intention of this was not to dissuade anyone from purchasing this unit, which I suppose it is obvious since I exchanged it and didn't just return it. I am running this receiver with Polks and it sounds better than my buddy's Denon/Klipsch setup that he paid double for.

Matt G.
Thanks guys.
I am happy to announce that DTS is possible with a optical input only. I finally got it to work and it sounds great. Enjoy.

Jim Everhart
REGARDING THE WARRANTY ISSUE, I GOT MY UNIT AT DISCOUNT ELECTRONICS. THEIR WARRANTY POLICY IS AS FOLLOWS, THOUGHT THIS MIGHT HELP THOSE WHO HAVEN'T PURCHASED A UNIT YET.

Warranty Information

All our products are new (NOT refurbished) and are covered by the standard manufacturer's warranty.

Some manufacturers may not honor warranty claims on their products sold over the internet, in which case we will honor the warranty claim based upon the terms and conditions of the manufacturer's warranty.

Glynn B.
Hi guys, I am from Australia where the VR6070 is called a KRF-X9060D-S (see www.kenwood.com.au if your curious). Just letting you know the demand is the same over here and although we don't really internet order on electronics as much as you guys seem to, the stores still can't supply. I have waited 3 weeks so far and just got a call to say at least another 4 weeks. So you are all frustrating me as I read this forum each day and you all seem pretty happy with your Kenwood's.

leonardbrisebois@hotmail.com
I have the 6060 and am puzzled over the coax/optical problem. I have no problem detecting DTS when it is the primary soundtrack. When there is both DD and DTS, the receiver defaults to DD(I've heard that this is common with most receivers). I originally had a 3ft coax hooked up to my dvd player and had no problems. When I switched to a 6ft optical, again, there was no problem. The only things I can think of for the problems is either the setup in the DVD player, or that you have to manually select DTS on the disc, as in Chicken Run.

Hello again all!
In regards to the dts issues...
Try going into the menu of your DVD player and enabling "bitstream" DTS "ON"
then insert a DTS DVD and choose audio setup for DTS sound and you should be good to go.

Also, check www.mjshow.com for a good price on the VR6070... $444.00 now + 29.95 shipping!

Sorry about the swearing guys but this forum energizes me. It reminds me of the days when i would congregate with all my friends and run a server on a commodore 64 and have that elite circle that fueled its success. A little off on a tangent...i'd say.....Ok here i go....yes i purchased the vr6070 from Best Buy for the reason mentioned above "AUTHORIZED AGENT"....For $35 i have an unlimited over the counter replacement warranty and if the model is not available they give me the next of higher value and for 4 years.. No one can touch that support....Now for my question.....What will give the best most efficient quality sound? An optical cable or a digital COAX cable can someone please give me a final diagnosis.....I'm going out tommorrow to buy my cable needs and what gauge wire should i use for the speakers???? Thanks again for the feedback

-Brian

Admin (Admin)
>> Next Page
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us