B&W 704s with Yamaha receiver/amp

Username: Picsob

Post Number: 1
Considering B&W 704s for audio, along with HTM7, other matching speakers to replace old bundled home theater speakers. I love the way the B&W's sound (although I haven't heard them w/my receiver) and the way they look. I have a Yamaha RX-V1300 (6x100w) to drive them, Sony DVD/CD player. Am I overbuying in speakers given the player and receiver I have? Will I need to upgrade my receiver too in order to get value out of B&Ws? Any opinions from folks w/comparable B&Ws or receivers?
Txs.

Silver Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 686
The 704s need a fair bit of driving. I know the numbers indicate that it's a relatively benign load, but my experience with the 704s shows that they like powerful amps. I don't know the Yamaha, but you might be a little light there to drive them properly. The HTM7 is a fine centre if you can accommodate it (it's big). Again, it needs a good amp (the whole 700 series does).

Now this doesn't mean that you'll be making a mistake, just that you will probably find yourself wishing for more power or better clarity (amps get muddled when they can't drive speakers. I've been looking at the specs of the Yamaha and it has quite a lot of power in reserve. This is a good thing and not common in many receivers. So I don't think you'd be underpowering the speakers in an average sized room (say 15ft square). In a large room, the amp might struggle. If this happens you can still get yourself an external power amp to drive the main fronts. This would free up the Yammie to drive the centre and surrounds.

Remember that the 704s need to be in freestanding space. In other words they need to be a good 18 inches or more from rear and side walls. They also like to be toed in to face the main listening spot for best results.

Eventually (as in all things) I imagine you may want to upgrade the electronics. If you do so, you will see worthwhile gains since these speakers can provide a lot more than the electronics are capable of providing at this time. This means you're maximising the potential of the electronics and have scope for future improvement if you go with the B&Ws. You should, however, try the 704s on the end of your amp before buying if at all possible to ensure that the combination is a happy one sonically.

Regards,
Frank.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1313
The short answer is yes. You will need to upgrade the electronics to get the most from your speakers. The Yamaha is not up to the task. B&W 700 series speakers are a fine speaker need equal electronics to fully enjoy them. Good luck.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us