Taking the plunge and I need help!

Username: Repeater123

NJ

Post Number: 1
I'm looking to take the leap and upgrade my home theater. I have a Kenwood HTiB that i bought a few years back and it's time to step up. I hate the thing. Music sounds flat and empty and dialogue on movies is too muddled. Half the time I end up watching movies with the sub-titles on because I'm tired of having to rewind.

I have been comparing and pricing systems online for a few months now and am looking for some advice. I started with a budget of less than $1000 but the more I look the higher it goes. Now I'm trying to keep it under $2k.

This is where I'm at: I've looked at Polk, Klipsch,and JBL but they seem to be overpriced. I've looked at most of the online, direct order companies, keep coming back to Aperion though(i think it's the sweet looking cherry cabinets, even though i'll probably get the black ones, go figure?) Didn't care for the Axioms even though they seem to get great reviews. Checked out the Ascends and I like the fact that they come with Hsu Subs but I can just buy a Hsu sub separately if I want it. Now i'm looking at Infinity. The Primus series is more reasonably priced and would put me back under $1000. But the Beta series is tempting (again with those cherry cabinets!) The Betas have better low range extension than the Primus series and even the Aperions for that matter. But Aperion has their crossover technology that they rave about. The Betas are in the same range as the Aperions so we're pushing $1500 again! (I seem to be coming full circle and come back to Aperion time and time again so maybe that should be telling me something.)

With all this being said I'll probably be very happy with whatever system I end up buying and never know what I'm missing. I'm not musically inclined so I'm not that picky. To be honest I wouldn't even know what a good speaker sounds like (i do, however, know what bad speakers sound like and that's my kenwoods) I just want to be able to hear my damn movies and enjoy my music (i listen to pretty heavy stuff) It's to the point now where I rarely listen to music on my system becuase i don't like the way it sounds. (Before you guys jump on me I'm dumping the Kenwood reciever too!) I don't really want to "settle" for the Primus series but I probably wouldn't know the difference anyway. If I went with the Primus set-up I could get floor standing speakers and stay well within my budget.

Thanks for taking the time to read all this rambling and any advice would be helpful

Bronze Member
Username: Soundideas

Post Number: 15
I think one of the best deals going is the SDAT SB-E639D floorstanding speakers for $250.00 at www.overstock.com www.sdatgroup.com Other products that I use that is really good that improves my system is, Dakiom feedback stabilizers, www.dakiom.com and QuickSilver contact enhancer, www.xtremecables.com
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us