protower 400,
or the mythos 1,2,or3.

Anonymous

has anyone ever heard of definitive technology speakers

Silver Member
Username: Geekboy

Newport, RI United States

Post Number: 241
Anon: yes I've heard of them and almost bought them instead of my Paradigm Reference Eclipse/BPs. The ones I looked at were the Bi-Polar series, not the ones you're looking at. Not many people use bi-polar speakers.

There is some controversy, especially for critical listeners of "music". I believe the BPs are perfect for home theater, can perform well for music, but are not critical listening speakers for music (due to stereo imaging, etc). They can be harder to tame as well.

Silver Member
Username: Gman

Mt. Pleasant, SC

Post Number: 337
The Mythos speakers are not bi-polar as they are meant to be placed against the wall. They are made for those with flat panel HDTV's (particularly plasma and LCD screens) that are on the wall. The other Def Tech models are bi-polar and are meant to be placed away from the wall to give you a larger soundstage and a more spacious soundfield.

Def Tech makes quality speakers at a fair price. It is a matter whether you like their sound and not quite as precise imaging as in direct firing speakers. Of course, there are direct firing speakers that aren't great at imaging too, but there are a number that excel at both soundstage and imaging.

There are plenty of people that like the Def Techs for movies and television watching, but prefer direct speakers for music listening. There are also plenty of people that like the Def Techs for both music and movies.

This is something you have to hear for yourself and see if it is your cup of tea. I have heard great Def Tech set-ups that are great for both music and movies and others that seem less precise on the music part. The set-up and the room acoustics are the second most important aspect of HT and music listening.

Anonymous

thanks for your replys.
with def tech, what is the deal with the powered sub in some of the tower speakers. does this replace a separate sub, and how do both towers hook the powered sub into a receiver.

Silver Member
Username: Gman

Mt. Pleasant, SC

Post Number: 341
Depending on which model of Def Tech speaker with self-powered woofers, it can certainly take the place of using a separate subwoofer. It all depends on which model you get and how bass hungry you are.

There is a good reason for having a self-powered woofer in a design. The speaker manufacturer can ideally match the proper amp to the woofer and improve it's full range performance. In addition, it also saves your receiver's amp section from having to drive the woofer, which takes far more power.

Many people who buy Def Tech towers like to use them in the front and the back. An advantage of this is twofold: it smooths out bass response anomalies in the room and it removes much of the problem of good bass management when playing SACD's and DVD-Audio. You don't have to worry about steering the bass and using subwoofer crossovers.

It depends on your room size, your rooms acoustics, the Def Tech tower you buy, and your personal taste in bass whether it replaces the need of a subwoofer.

They also hook up the same as any speaker, as the self-powered subwoofer is self contained in these speakers. No extra wiring required.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us