Subwoofer setup help?

Bronze Member
Username: Jayosa

Post Number: 48
i have a athena subwoofer asp400 and the athena asb2 bookshelfs.....i dont like the way the woofer bass blends in with bookshelfs cuz it sounds outa toon.....wen i turn up the bass on the asb2's i like the way the bass sounds there it goes good with watever song i listen too....but since its only a bookshelf it doesnt have that much bass though thats why i bought the sub for.....the way i have the sub plugged into the reciever is like this ....from the pre-outs of the reciever theres a subwoofer plug......then i plug it into the p400 into the plug thats says 'subwoofer in' im sure this is the rite way it should go but i dont like the way the bass blends with the speakers...so is there another way to plug in the sub so it sounds better with the speakers

Bronze Member
Username: Devils_advocate

Post Number: 25
If your sub has speaker wire inputs you could try using that instead of the sub out on your receiver. Conversely if your receiver has preamp outs you could try using that too. I know Art Kyle prefers the latter method.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 49
my sub does have speaker wire inputs and outputs....but how do i use that connection....also u said i could use the pre amps on the reciever...but isnt that the same as using the 'subwoofer plug' on the pre-out of the reciever....i just want the bass to mach the bookshelfs nicely so wichever works best tell me ....

Silver Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 989
The connections are fine. Try these suggestions first (easier):

There's a crossover frequency setting on the h/k. Set it to a lower cut-off. Try 80 Hz.

The sub surely has a volume control that you can turn down as well.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 27
Jay: The pre-outs are full range, unlike the sub out. You will then need to set your subwoofer's crossover frequency appropriately.

As for the speaker wire connection, you wire from your front l/r speaker output on your receiver to the inputs on your sub. The outputs then go to your speakers.

One other thing, what is the crossover on the sub itself set to currently?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 28
It should be set to the max in your current configuration with the HK receiver doing the bass management.

Silver Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 990
Jay, you will need to read your manual...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 50
well with the athena sub the knob dile already has the names of watever speaker your using in the athena line...for example i have the knob dile set to the asb2 model...it makes it easy for ppl like me that dont know anything about frequencies to set up...so i have the frequency set up rite i know for sure on the sub.....so wats this thing about changing the crossover frequency to 80hz on the reciever...cuz i cant find any option like that ...the only option i found for the sub on the reciever to change ...is on the channel volume setup but that only goes as high as 10db not 80hz

Bronze Member

Post Number: 31
How can I put this delicately...RTFM.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 51
what does rtfm mean

Bronze Member

Post Number: 32
Read the f...ing manual.

Gold Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 1626
I agree with DA and Peter.....

Bronze Member

Post Number: 52
i dont have a manuel ...it was an open box

Gold Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 1631
Jay,
All you need to do is experiment with your gain(sub volume) and crossover. A good rule of thumb is start with 80hz as a crossover, and then adjust the gain until it blends how you like it. Play around with the settings until you get it right.

Thats the fun part!!

Silver Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 991
i dont have a manuel ...it was an open box

I've told you where you can download one, then get Adobe Acrobat reader and read it on your computer screen.

If your h/k is like my older one... Put up the On Screen Display (OSD) and select speaker setup. On that page, you can select each speaker to be large or small, but you can also switch the top line to "frequency" and then scroll down and select different frequency cutoffs for each speaker.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us