Need speaker suggestions for 35'x45'x11' concrete room

Unregistered guest
i am starting a photography studio, and need to deal with the audio end of things soon. my space is 35x45 feet and 11 feet tall. concrete walls, floor, and gypsum ceiling tiles. i will have a couch setup and some chairs, but basically will be bare. i know this poses a challenging audio situation. i do not have an amazing ear, but i can hear well enough to know i will go crazy if the sound is bad. i don't know much about audio equipment; i have only had Bang & Olufsen audio in my home for the past 15 years. i LOVE their sound, but i also live in a house that has lots of wood, cushions, rugs, etc. to absorb. any suggestions are much appreciated. money is an object, so if at all possible i'd like to get high end speakers but used, maybe on ebay, so i can better afford it. besides, i don't care for the look of modern day speakers/stereos. THANKS!!!

Silver Member
Username: Kano

Post Number: 548
Something warmer like Paradigm.

Monitor Series
http://www.paradigm.ca/Website/SiteParadigmProduct/ParadigmModels/MonSeries/Moni torSpecs.htm

Signature Series
http://signature.paradigm.com/Flash_Site/SigProductFlash/S4/S4.html

Silver Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 977
The concrete will leads to strong reflections. You should put up some sort of DIY acoustic treatments, such as curved masonite boards. Clap your hands in the room; any echos?

For such a large room, in high-end but used gear, you could get a pair of Klipschorns between $1800 and $3000.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1254
Paradigm Monitor 90P. Built in powered sub. Your room so big though that I can only speculate as to whether these would meet your needs. What will the speakers be used for? What kind of music/movies do you listen to? What is your budget?

Silver Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 979
I dunno Art... I'd rather have a separate sub than an integrated one... Better placement options and better bang for the buck.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1257
Depends on a lot of variables. I would rather have a pair of Vandersteen Model 5A's than any speaker in it's price class and they have integrated subs. Lots of variables.

Bronze Member
Username: Devils_advocate

Post Number: 16
Well if you are looking for used, audiogon.com and ebay are the way to go. Since you don't like the look of modern speakers, Peters suggestion may be right up your alley. Klipschorns, Cornwalls, and other Heritage series Klipsch speakers can all be found used for a pretty "resonable" price. Their primary advantage is that they are very very efficient, which will help fill a big room like yours.

But, we will need more info on what kind of usage the system will be getting and a budget as Art stated.

Unregistered guest
thanks to everyone who has responded so far. to answer some quetions/comments, unfortunatley i cannot really do any acoustic treatments on walls as i need that area for shooting space and need the white concrete walls left exposed. i also cannot put rugs or carpet down as i need hard surfaces for what i do. i know that not doing these things will contribute to a less than ideal sound. but i just want to know how i can make the best of the space with equipment and placement only, no space renovations. i have read on the net about stuffing pillows behind speakers mounted at the ceiling. i can of course do some things on the ceiling if it would help a lot. as far as budget, this may be laughable but i'd like to keep it under $1000. the type of music played will be anything from classic rock to alternative/contemporary to electronica to jazz/blues. most likely no classical. it will be played loud to background when i have a model there. but will be loud when i am there working with no models. the source will be CDs and iPod (apple lossless encoding so still CD quality). let me know if any more information is needed. again, thanks for all the input.

Silver Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 983
For under $1000, I'd go (used) vintage Klipsch Cornwall. They are not as picky on placement as Klipschorns, are loud and extremely dynamic.

http://www.klipsch.com/product/product.aspx?cid=115&s=specs

(Warning: object in picture is larger than it appears. That's a 15" woofer in the picture, not a modern 6" driver.)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us